PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I have the solution to the Mylar storage problem and I’m sure some of you have enough tobacco to warrant such a system, I’m not joking either. I’m very envious of what you have all been able to achieve but also very happy for you guys as well and let me be the warning note to all others reading this.……………Government intervention on tobacco is gaining momentum………………cellar………….CELLAR!…………………..C.E.L.L.A.R!!!!! The governments of this world will continue to find ways to stop tobacco along with every other pleasure in life as well. You have been warned.
884FE8C9-6382-4CFA-862C-EBE8CC777304.jpeg

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
On the topic of glass v. mylar I've recently made the switch to almost entirely heat sealed mylar as I needed to move a big portion of my stash internationally via plane. Went great however I'm running into an issue I didn't have with the jars, reusability and opening bags to smoke blends.

Previously I had a medium sized chest of drawers that I kept most of my tobacco in. What was being cellared in their original containers lived elsewhere. It was nice because I could pull out a drawer, pick a jar and sample some. I probably had 30 some blends like this. With the mylar obviously that doesn't work, I could transfer everything to jars again but they're expensive here and I enjoy the space savings of the mylar.

So how do y'all deal with this issue?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
On the topic of glass v. mylar I've recently made the switch to almost entirely heat sealed mylar as I needed to move a big portion of my stash internationally via plane. Went great however I'm running into an issue I didn't have with the jars, reusability and opening bags to smoke blends.

Previously I had a medium sized chest of drawers that I kept most of my tobacco in. What was being cellared in their original containers lived elsewhere. It was nice because I could pull out a drawer, pick a jar and sample some. I probably had 30 some blends like this. With the mylar obviously that doesn't work, I could transfer everything to jars again but they're expensive here and I enjoy the space savings of the mylar.

So how do y'all deal with this issue?
I always bought the zip lock mylar bags. Cut the heat deal portion off, load a bowl, seal it sit with the zip lock. Of course, that's not necessarily a multi year solution but I've found is maintains the moisture for quite some time.

noobpipes

Lurker
Sep 2, 2022
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro
I'd also recommend a means to track your inventory -- I've found after ~100 containers I was losing track of what's in the cellar or how old some of it was. I now use an excel spreadsheet to track the contents of my cellar. Excel is easy to set up and maintain and allows for easy queries and formatting. For example, any tin greater than 5 years of age is automatically highlighted. Before I order tobacco I check to make sure I'm not unintentionally duplicating inventory. In some cases I'll add a few notes in the spreadsheet after finishing a container, usually, this is to identify blends to never order again. Maintenance is fairly easy, each new container is marked with the purchase date and unique serial number (1 ... XXX) and entered into the spreadsheet. I also keep track of other data in the spreadsheet the vendor, container type (tin, mason jar, mylar bag), price, and weight.

I've tried tobaccocellar and another online tool -- I am more comfortable with Excel and it keeps my data on my computer. Regardless of how one does it, I recommend starting while the cellar is small.

One of the more interesting things revealed is my changing taste in tobacco. Early on I favored blends with latakia -- traditional English blends -- over time the purchases shifted to VA's then VA/Pers and most recently predominantly burley blends.

Friend, thanks for the tip, I'm starting my control now.
I have a doubt? How to control the amount (grams) of each tobacco?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I always bought the zip lock mylar bags. Cut the heat deal portion off, load a bowl, seal it sit with the zip lock. Of course, that's not necessarily a multi year solution but I've found is maintains the moisture for quite some time.
Mine are ziploc as well but I wasn't sure how well they'd hold a seal for more than a few weeks. Good to know they'll last a bit longer than that, thanks for the help!

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
After one year of dormancy, I feel this one needs a bump.

I've been taking this sound advice from @hoosierpipeguy for many months now, and I can now offer my own testimony here to its effectiveness. My cellar has virtually come to life in the past year and change (from a couple pounds of mostly goopy aromatics to double digits and a wide variety of different blends and blend types), and with each passing day, it's never seemed more necessary for all of us to do this, and do it right. Of course, "right" will vary from person to person, but there's some great and pretty all-purpose content in this thread that the influx of new members would find quite valuable, I think.

The mantra here is, tobacco will never be cheaper or more readily available than it is at this moment. Anyone else been building?

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
The mantra here is, tobacco will never be cheaper or more readily available than it is at this moment. Anyone else been building?
I aggressively built up my cellar for about two years. I’ve slowed WAY down on my buying, but I still buy a little any time there’s a good sale, and of course I’m a sucker for most FOMO blends. However, seeing what prices have done even just recently, I can echo another mantra: “I’m glad I bought what I did when I did.”

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
@AcesAndEights Tell me about it! Ugh...

That reminds me though--I think it's very important for any new cellar-stockers to avoid the temptation to throw their hands up in the air and admit defeat to the results of (hyper)inflation. Again, speaking from personal experience on this one. Four years ago, I didn't have the slightest thought of building a cellar. Once I realized the need to do it, I still thought I had missed my chance to do it affordably. I was in such a needlessly negative mindset about it, but all for naught...I bought someone's "instant cellar" and used that as a springboard of sorts. Highly effective way to start, if you're lucky enough to get the chance to do this. Also gives you a chance to sample the wide variety of blends out there. From there, it's simply a matter of weeding out the lackluster stuff and gaining a clearer picture of what to cellar deep on.

Point being, don't despair. It's never too late to start!

Reactions: AcesAndEights

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have been using the $ 100-a-month budget system but also putting $20 in the "Drop Jar". This way I can build my cellar and get free shipping and if a drop happens on any of the various sites I won't have to shuffle funds from other places it seems like the best way for me to semi-control the TAD. I'm only cellaring deep on a blend or two from each family sans Aro and not paying much attention to small batches unless they really fit the bill on what I know I'll like. Been doing this for a couple of years now using jars for the opened stuff and color coded Rubber Made tubs for tins of the VA/Vaper, English, and Burley/VaBur.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have been using the $ 100-a-month budget system but also putting $20 in the "Drop Jar". This way I can build my cellar and get free shipping and if a drop happens on any of the various sites I won't have to shuffle funds from other places it seems like the best way for me to semi-control the TAD.
This is a great idea. I'm certainly a sucker for that free shipping myself. Many thanks!

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Great read! I am 40 with kids and starting to build a cellar up. Thanks for the sound advice!
It's an easy thing to overthink. What you like, get more than you can smoke between orders. FOMO tins? Get 3 instead of 1. You're not placing huge orders at a time, just enough to hit free shipping. You're not sprinting but running a marathon. Even if in every order is only 1/4 pound of a favorite for the cellar that's still better than nothing.

3 years ago I started smoking a pipe at age 40. My cellar might not be impressive by the standards of others here, but well over 30 pounds doing time. Yes that averages to 10 pounds a year, but don't think you need to hit a magic weight per time frame. That first year I don't think I put 8 pounds away total. And that's fine. At least it was for me at the time. You'll find your groove stuff your cellar will reflect that.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Great thread....and after reading:

....this thread hits home even more. Anytime there are sales, I'm stocking up. When there is a limited release of something I want, I always get enough to at least hit the free shipping. Mine is definitely building up quicker and quicker these days to the point that I'm probably going to need to go the mylar route at some point.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
It's an easy thing to overthink. What you like, get more than you can smoke between orders. FOMO tins? Get 3 instead of 1. You're not placing huge orders at a time, just enough to hit free shipping. You're not sprinting but running a marathon. Even if in every order is only 1/4 pound of a favorite for the cellar that's still better than nothing.

3 years ago I started smoking a pipe at age 40. My cellar might not be impressive by the standards of others here, but well over 30 pounds doing time. Yes that averages to 10 pounds a year, but don't think you need to hit a magic weight per time frame. That first year I don't think I put 8 pounds away total. And that's fine. At least it was for me at the time. You'll find your groove stuff your cellar will reflect that.
Yeah my cellar is roughly about what you mentioned yours is. One thing I did is literally tried 100s of blends. I didn't want to jump the gun and cellar something I thought I was in love with. Now I'm ready to fully invest in what I'm sure I want to stay married to.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
Thanks to the OP for posting this discussion thread! And many thanks to SBC for collating categories of pipe tobacco. I find myself drawn to categories so I can somewhat safely compare A to B to C.

I was telling a friend I might have collected 35 tobaccos and was feeling like I was over doing it. Then I put together a doc and woah! There were 80.

My goal when possible is to get one ounce baggies ideally from the same blender. Note on these with a sharpie what it is category wise as well as my own rating. Tighten up the seal on the baggies then fold. Put these into a used wooden cigar box that would have held 20-25 cigars. Then add a Bovida packet usually at 72%. So a box might say ‘Peretti’ or ‘Lane Limited.’

As I try new genres the categories expand. I tend so far to like them all. I’ve found some real gems from tobacco store blends like Ken Byron’s Burley Morning or Peretti.

I was getting confused re VA vs VA/Per so separated out the categories. Now I think I need to subdivide further to have a VA/PER/BUR category.

I’m still a tad confused as to when a blend shifts into an aromatic. Many folk comment that just the flavoring doesn’t always shift it into the aromatic arena. Thus has been my experience too.

Pipe wise I went on a binge and got one of many and two of some and feel many are are good friends now. I’m beginning to associate each with a tobacco category. But mostly I find myself returning to a high quality block meerschaum. Pricey but wow it captures flavors spot on.

This all has really enhanced retirement!

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I’m still a tad confused as to when a blend shifts into an aromatic. Many folks comment that just the flavoring doesn’t always shift it into the aromatic arena. Thus has been my experience too.
I believe it has to do with the addition of a topping, which is wholly distinct and different from a casing (which ostensibly all pipe tobacco has, to some degree). I'll defer to the more experienced pipe smokers to dissect this further, if they wish to. The flavoring is almost incidental; for example, Ashton Gold Rush is classified as a straight VA, yet the sweet citrus flavor retains shades of what would be termed an aromatic proper. Whereas something like Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend offers a flavor that, to me, very much belies its official aromatic labeling. I guess there must be a topping for it to be considered as such; personally, I have no idea, as I couldn't keep the damn blend lit to save my life, no matter what techniques I tried.

That's about all I can offer, so again, I'll shut my pie-hole and let the veterans take over now... 😁

Reactions: AcesAndEights

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
I get the distinction between topping and casing, though admittedly not in the sense of seeing it done, but surely as it is described by blenders.

What I was trying to get at is how the definitions get fuzzy at the edges. Some examples?

MacBaren’s Scottish Mixture is said, by some, to be an aromatic. I would see it as a Va/Bur with a very, very mild flavoring.

Solani Aged Burley Flake 656 — the same thing but its a pure Burley.

Key Byron Ventures has a lovely blend called Burley Morning Pipe … is it a pure burley or an aromatic?

Match City’s Deluxe Crumb Cut is viewed as an aromatic but could also pass as a burley in the pure sense.

Most of the aromatics are clearly topped or cased. Some overly so — for example, Cult Blood Red Moon literally tastes (to me) like the very definition of a cherry cordial, that is, too sweet to smoke. What they aimed at with this one they hit spot on!

But Sutliff’s Maple Street, while it has maple, is very subtle.

My favorite aromatics would be Autuum Evening or 7 Seas Gold or Black or Peterson’s Connoisseur’s Choice, because the flavoring feels integrated, as opposed to the Maple Street mentioned above, or the Larsen Signature, or Apricots & Cream.

What we smell in the tin or baggie is not often translated to the smoking.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Good thread. One suggestion if you are just getting started in cellaring and not too sure where to start, then cellar some straight Va's or VA Pers. If you want to up your cellar quickly then bulk like Sutliff VA slices or Newminster 400 or PS Luxury Navy Flake or Bullseye will get you going quickly and at reasonable cost. Down the line even if you find you don't care too much for them you will always be able to find a buyer for Va/VaPer's with some age on them.

If for whatever reason you can't or don't want to deal with bulk, then tins of Orlik Golden Slice or Capstan, Ecsudo etc are a good safe bet. You may not make a fortune on these classics but there is always a ready market for them. Unlike perhaps that limited edition citrus/pistachio aro you thought you loved and went 100 tins deep on...