PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I created a spread sheet. I created a tab in Excel for each tote and numbered them. I used little neon stickies to number each tote, I put them on two sides and the top. If I'm liking for a blend, I search in the spread sheet and that will tell me the number(s) on the tote(s) that contain that blend.
More good ideas! Thanks for that! I have a spreadsheet but it doesn’t indicate where it’s stored. Usually not a problem but today I tried to find one of two tins of Habana Daydream and couldn’t. ☹️ It will turn up but was more effort than I was willing to give today sifting through C&D/GLP tins when I really want to be smoking.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
THAT'S what I need to start doing some kind of tracking system Right now, it's not a big deal to look through the ~35 jars/tins I have. There's nothing over a year old in there yet. But I know that will soon change.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I’ve only been smoking pipe for 8 months, and I worry I’m jumping the gun with my cellar, but I kinda don’t care. I’m the 40 year old with a job and three kids that only smokes once a day. I also don’t like too many open tins at once so I haven’t tried many blends yet. I’m blessed that I can kinda buy what I want though, and man, I have been. I’ve gone three tins deep on about 40-50 blends. Haven’t tried any. But if I want it to age, I gotta get started, right? I’ll probably be dumping all sorts of stuff on y’all in a few years. I’ll give you premium garage sale prices!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Since my recent experience in moving, I'd recommend mylar over mason jars in a big way. If you're committed to mason jars, go with pint and smaller exclusively. They stack much better if you keep them in the original box.
Good tips and great thread Mark. I recently moved some bulk from bigger jars due to stackability. Divided them into mylar bags and 16oz jars. Ended up opening up alot of space on the shelves.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I’ve only been smoking pipe for 8 months, and I worry I’m jumping the gun with my cellar, but I kinda don’t care. I’m the 40 year old with a job and three kids that only smokes once a day. I also don’t like too many open tins at once so I haven’t tried many blends yet. I’m blessed that I can kinda buy what I want though, and man, I have been. I’ve gone three tins deep on about 40-50 blends. Haven’t tried any. But if I want it to age, I gotta get started, right? I’ll probably be dumping all sorts of stuff on y’all in a few years. I’ll give you premium garage sale prices!
Get your self a couple cases of half pint/8 oz. size mason jars. They easily fit the contents of a 2 oz. tin. Then open tins and try them out with abandon. If you dont get back around to something for months, no problem- its in a sealed jar.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Since my recent experience in moving, I'd recommend mylar over mason jars in a big way. If you're committed to mason jars, go with pint and smaller exclusively. They stack much better if you keep them in the original box.
The only caution I would have is the quilted 4oz jars. I bought a bunch to store the 1oz bags I bought when trying things out and they don’t stack well at all.

What I love about pipe tobacco compared to vices I had in the past is how cheap it is to amass a lot. I know that may not be true for everyone, but compared to scotch and mezcal, this is a lower cost vice for me. My wife enjoys seeing me geek out on pipe tobacco b/c it makes me happy and also comes from my discretionary fund.

I may need to go the mylar route, though. I have purchased a lot of jars in the last few months.

Last edited:

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I don't know about quilted but I leave all the smaller jars in the box they came in with the dividers. Then stacking is box on box, not jar on jar.
I wish I had kept more of the boxes that they came in. I’ve got more than a few flats/boxes with jars, and it’s DEFINITELY the way to go if jars are your thing.

I’m considering making the switch to Mylar, personally. After buying some bags from you, and noting how much space the same quantities take up vs jars (or space that they don’t take up, more accurately) is making the effort to swap my jarred stock to bags seem very attractive. I just need to find a better way to catalog so that I can “browse” the bags easily…

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wish I had kept more of the boxes that they came in. I’ve got more than a few flats/boxes with jars, and it’s DEFINITELY the way to go if jars are your thing.

I’m considering making the switch to Mylar, personally. After buying some bags from you, and noting how much space the same quantities take up vs jars (or space that they don’t take up, more accurately) is making the effort to swap my jarred stock to bags seem very attractive. I just need to find a better way to catalog so that I can “browse” the bags easily…
You brought up the one possible downside to bags. I write all the blend info on the bag with a permanent marker. Organizing the bags in any meaningful way has not been something I've been able to accomplish to any great degree.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just saw this thread and you guys didn't need to build up Marks ego this much. If it wasn't for me he would be smoking Carter Hall. .

When I decided to build my cellar, I bought a bunch of test tins. I smoked them until I decided they made the cut or they didn't. Back in 2012 I decided to build a 20-25 year cellar based on my consumption and I wanted it completed in a year. . When I saw my favorites available I didn't hesitate buying 25-100 tins at a wack. I even got some discounts this way as well. When I bought all my bulk Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes I used small mom and pops who would sell me 5 pound lots and they discounted them another 10%. Pounds were 52 and change for a full pound. It took me only a few months to grab around 40 pounds of it.

When I went after Stonehaven, I did the same thing. I had one guy sell me 12 bags in one shot as all he cared about was clash flow. The small guys want to move their stuff as fast as they can and many have no limits. Of all my Stonehaven only one bag came from a large retailer 4noggins was the one.

Mark does give some good advice I have to admit. He was the one who got me into pipes in the first place over 20 years ago. we were cigar buddies and he wouldn't quit bugging me about pipe smoking till I broke down and tried them.

I am forever grateful for that move as my entire cellar costs less than what I was spending in one year of cigar smoking. I would hate to have to build a cellar with all the limits you guys have to deal with. I warned people back then but was dismissed as a paranoid old man who didn't know shit. A few of my favorites were discontinued and I have plenty. Blends changed and all of those types I have are all from 2012-2013 and are the blends I fell in love with and not the new stuff K&K is putting out. The new K&K I tried was fine and it should age nicely but I fell in love with different blends.

In 2016 a few blends came on the market, one I hit real hard after a test tin. That was Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. it had been taken off the market again so I didn't mess around and bought 100 tins for 701.00. I also bought some Salty Dogs, Curly Block, Butera Dark Stoved, Savinelli Dobloned'Oro. The last purchase of 25 tins was the 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed that SP found in the back of a warehouse. That was in 2018 I think and the only other tobacco I have bought were single tins of a blend I really enjoy but is scarce.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I think part of the issue we are faced with today is the fact that there are limits on the more “desirable” blends that folks would want to go deep on, whether that’s because of supply issues or limits placed by retailers. The added element of folks wanting something more just because it’s hard to get is a whole other factor to battle also…

It’s a good position to be in to decide that you want to go hard on building a stock fast and buying 5+ lbs or 50+ tins at a time. I think that’s where the recommendation to balance that approach for those that can’t/don’t want to take that aggressive of a buying approach with the advice of setting your fixed expense (from disposable income) aside and exercising the self control to hold off until what you want is in stock and then go hard.

There’s also the fact that both of these approaches take advantage of the concept of focusing your buying power on a select few blends. Many pipe smokers seem to be a little less sure of committing to a smaller number of choices. The fear of missing out and/or “what if” game is VERY real in this world of so many choices - “If I buy 25 tins of this blend I know I’m pretty happy with today, I won’t be able to buy the other choices that I haven’t tried, and what if I will like one of those more?” I’ve come to decide/accept/admit/whatever the fact that chasing the idea of “perfect blend” is folly. I’ve got a few core choices that I really like, and I try to avoid the temptation to sprinkle “new” stuff in too much. It’s a game of self control, in a whole new way, haha.

I, for one, appreciate the advice that comes from experience that says “if you like it now, buy what you can to stash away.” It’s important to be comfortable with your likes and choices without trying to chase new stuff (whether new to market or new to you).

Sorry, went a little long on that one… this is a fun thing to discuss, though.