PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jay, posts on a forum aren’t a substitute for professional medical advice. No one here can possibly know if it’s too late to start anti-virals or not. All that’s being suggested is to consult your doctor as soon as you can to see if he thinks they might help. I’m sorry you’re going through this. Good luck! Jon
Actually trying to make contact with your GP here in Britain is a real pain in the butt....and they deliberately make it so!

Last time I rang 999 (your 111 I believe) I was put on hold for 8 minutes.

On top of all that, being housebound means problems in getting any meds to me.

I'll just have to sweat it out.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Jay, posts on a forum aren’t a substitute for professional medical advice. No one here can possibly know if it’s too late to start anti-virals or not. All that’s being suggested is to consult your doctor as soon as you can to see if he thinks they might help. I’m sorry you’re going through this. Good luck! Jon

Good advice.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Actually trying to make contact with your GP here in Britain is a real pain in the butt....and they deliberately make it so!

Regards,

Jay.
I have the same problem with my GP?. There's 6 million people in the UK waiting on some form of medical attention from the NHS.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Regards,

Jay.
Hi Jay,
I'm so sorry it's such a medical shitshow. We'll be there ourselves in the not too distant future, just from a different direction. But other than that, I'll reiterate what Jon has said, a doctor can give you competent medical advice, not a bunch of virtual acquaintances on a pipe forum.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Jay,
I'm so sorry it's such a medical shitshow. We'll be there ourselves in the not too distant future, just from a different direction. But other than that, I'll reiterate what Jon has said, a doctor can give you competent medical advice, not a bunch of virtual acquaintances on a pipe forum.
Hopefully you won't need to use our pathetic health services on your visit.

The NHS whilst good in principle has been utterly degraded by this current shower of a government.

Regards,

Jay.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I'm so sorry that you have to experience COVID. It's no fun. When you recover pay attention to any future symptoms in the months to come. I pray that Long Covid doesn't visit you. I'll be thinking and praying for you.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hopefully you won't need to use our pathetic health services on your visit.

The NHS whilst good in principle has been utterly degraded by this current shower of a government.

Regards,

Jay.
How are you doing? It's been a week since your last report. I hope you are feeling better. It took my wife and I three weeks to get fully over the initial COVID. It's amazing how weak this stuff makes a person. I'm thinking of you and hopefully you feel better soon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
How are you doing? It's been a week since your last report. I hope you are feeling better. It took my wife and I three weeks to get fully over the initial COVID. It's amazing how weak this stuff makes a person. I'm thinking of you and hopefully you feel better soon.
Thanks chum. I feel as though the worst symptoms have left me, throbbing headache, shivering fits etc but I find I'm more breathless than normal (which was never good due to severe COPD). I was never able to do much physically before, now I'm doing less. Struggling to get air into your lungs is not nice.

Even just sitting watching TV or using the laptop can make me breathless but strangely this only happens from late afternoon onwards, in the mornings as now, my breathing is quite steady but come around 5 or 6pm, that's when I struggle to breathe though physically doing nothing. Strange is that.

On the plus side, my appetite has improved somewhat. I now eat something every day whereas before I would only eat say every three days....and then not a lot.

I have heard of many folks having far more severe after effects than those that I have so I thank my lucky stars in that regard. In fact I should be thankful that I'm actually still here as my respiratory nurse told me last year getting Covid could well finish me off....so I'm pleased to have proved her wrong on that point!

Onwards and upwards....

Regards,

Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Jay! I had it last year, took me a good 2 months to recover from. For some reason, when I got it, it was as if my body forgot how to sleep. I still have bouts of insomnia but overall I’m fully recovered.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Hang in there Jay, wishing you all the best and a quick recovery!
I personally have never had it that I know of, although I have been exposed countless times when my wife and mother and friends have had it.
If I did have it I must have been asymptomatic.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Thanks chum. I feel as though the worst symptoms have left me, throbbing headache, shivering fits etc but I find I'm more breathless than normal (which was never good due to severe COPD). I was never able to do much physically before, now I'm doing less. Struggling to get air into your lungs is not nice.

Even just sitting watching TV or using the laptop can make me breathless but strangely this only happens from late afternoon onwards, in the mornings as now, my breathing is quite steady but come around 5 or 6pm, that's when I struggle to breathe though physically doing nothing. Strange is that.

On the plus side, my appetite has improved somewhat. I now eat something every day whereas before I would only eat say every three days....and then not a lot.

I have heard of many folks having far more severe after effects than those that I have so I thank my lucky stars in that regard. In fact I should be thankful that I'm actually still here as my respiratory nurse told me last year getting Covid could well finish me off....so I'm pleased to have proved her wrong on that point!

Onwards and upwards....

Regards,

Jay.
Jay,

I hope you to continue to make a full recovery.

I too have had 3 jabs (actually, in São Paulo they are now rolling out a 2nd booster - aka 4th jab...) but without obviously getting COVID (I had very mild common cold like couple of days but didn't test positive!) I have been dealing with long-covid for last 3 months.

Much as you describe; headaches (and full on migraines); any previous injury (knee joint which I damaged 35 years ago, Achilles Tendon which I tore 30 years ago and others have all been reminding me of their existence!).

For the first few weeks I was pretty much also in a complete mental fog and really struggled through the days.

Most of these have cleared (thankfully my Achilles Tendon has now realised it made a full recover all those years ago and I can walk normally again - very weird experience to find your tendon is behaving as it did when it was torn without it being physically damaged) but for the whole time I have been unable to go through a day without having either a morning or afternoon nap (sometimes for as long as 2 hours, and sometimes both morning and afternoon).

Bottom line is I think this virus is an evil little blighter.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jay,

I too have had 3 jabs (actually, in São Paulo they are now rolling out a 2nd booster - aka 4th jab...) but without obviously getting COVID (I had very mild common cold like couple of days but didn't test positive!) I have been dealing with long-covid for last 3 months.

Much as you describe; headaches (and full on migraines); any previous injury (knee joint which I damaged 35 years ago, Achilles Tendon which I tore 30 years ago and others have all been reminding me of their existence!).

For the first few weeks I was pretty much also in a complete mental fog and really struggled through the days.

Most of these have cleared (thankfully my Achilles Tendon has now realised it made a full recover all those years ago and I can walk normally again - very weird experience to find your tendon is behaving as it did when it was torn without it being physically damaged) but for the whole time I have been unable to go through a day without having either a morning or afternoon nap (sometimes for as long as 2 hours, and sometimes both morning and afternoon).

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a bout with long Covid. If you can get that 4th jab, go for it. There's mounting evidence that in many cases, the vaccine significantly diminishes or knocks out long Covid symptoms. Literally worth a shot.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jay,

Wow Timelord, it sounds like you're in that category that took a worse hit than most....good luck with your recovery chum.

Thinking about it, I probably got off pretty lightly compared to most folk who were infected. It didn't feel so at the time but on reflection I should count my blessings.

I'm still kicking myself for helping the grocery delivery chap unload my stuff from his trays as that is without doubt where I picked up this nasty virus.

And as Jesse says, keep up with any boosters offered...this is the only way we will be free. I had my last (3rd) jab last December & by all accounts won't get my next one till autumn....despite being on the 'vulnerable person' list!

Regards,

Jay.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Wow Timelord, it sounds like you're in that category that took a worse hit than most....good luck with your recovery chum.

Thinking about it, I probably got off pretty lightly compared to most folk who were infected. It didn't feel so at the time but on reflection I should count my blessings.

I'm still kicking myself for helping the grocery delivery chap unload my stuff from his trays as that is without doubt where I picked up this nasty virus.

And as Jesse says, keep up with any boosters offered...this is the only way we will be free. I had my last (3rd) jab last December & by all accounts won't get my next one till autumn....despite being on the 'vulnerable person' list!

Regards,

Jay.
Thanks.

That's a long wait for the 4th jab. It looks like I am now eligible to get the 4th vaccine dose; I thought it would be later in the year but they've accelerated the roll-out!