"Bruyere Garantie" not necessarily of Saint-Claude origin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I was under the impression, for awhile, that "Bruyere Garantie" meant that a pipe was of Saint-Claude origin, but not otherwise stamped for one of two possible reasons:

(a) It was a seconds
OR,
(b) It was meant to be stamped by a shop as a house pipe

However, I've since come across a few "Bruyere Garantie" pipes of other origins. For instance:
  • A Portland 53, which is a re-branded Stanwell 86
  • A Pimpernel, which was an Rossi meant for export
Why would a Danish or Italian pipe use this French label?

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I was under the impression, for awhile, that "Bruyere Garantie" meant that a pipe was of Saint-Claude origin, but not otherwise stamped for one of two possible reasons:

(a) It was a secondsPimpernel appears in the Danish Pipe Shop catalogs from the 1960s. I would tell you that it is a second brand from the 60s of Bari. Now I am writing from the phone. When I'm on the computer I'll look for the imageR,

However, I've since come across a few "Bruyere Garantie" pipes of other origins. For instance:
Pi

(a) It was a seconds
OR,

Pimpernel appears in the Danish Pipe Shop catalogs from the 1960s. I would tell you that it is a second brand from the 60s of Bari. Now I am writing from the phone. When I'm on the computer I'll look for the image.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Pi

Pimpernel appears in the Danish Pipe Shop catalogs from the 1960s. I would tell you that it is a second brand from the 60s of Bari. Now I am writing from the phone. When I'm on the computer I'll look for the image.
I found the catalog with the Pinpernel pipes.
It's from "Your Pipe Shop" in Copenhagen.
As you say, it is very likely that they are from Rossi, since it is the only foreign brand that they sold.
They also do not sell any Saint Claude, so it can be deduced that other pipes also carried the "Bruyere Garantie" stamp.
thurmann27.jpg
thurmann26.jpg

Reactions: Briar Tuck