PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Financiers in the city were talking about government bonds becoming more expensive because of the 'muppet premium'.

Personally I'm hoping we go back to the glory days of a hung parliament and political deadlock like under May. During that time the government wasn't able to do anything at all, and as a consequence the economy grew and unemployment fell. 'No man's life, liberty or property are safe when parliament is in session' and all that.'

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Ya...... That was fast. The shortest service period Prime Minister. Who will be the new Prime Minister?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So what is the actual deal, she wanted fracking or some thing help lower oil prices and that’s a bad thing? I’m really not sure so I’m asking someone that lives there what’s going on, I guess she was playing hardball tactics or something and people didn’t like it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
So what is the actual deal, she wanted fracking or some thing help lower oil prices and that’s a bad thing? I’m really not sure so I’m asking someone that lives there what’s going on, I guess she was playing hardball tactics or something and people didn’t like it.
She brought in unfunded tax cuts and the markets reacted badly. She then sacked the chancellor (even though she was as responsible as he was) and performed a number of u turns.

Then the foreign secretary was forced to resign and she wrote a pretty harsh resignation letter.
The polls showed Truss was deeply unpopular, even within her own party and MPs started calling for her to resign in greater and greater numbers.
The writing was on the wall so she jumped before she was pushed.

Boris is now gonna fly in and rescue us like some squiffy haired Superman 😒

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
As an American, I enjoy/appreciate the difference in the political structures. Since the UK is parliamentary, PMs change faster than here, but for me, curiously, the office of the PM does not change. (We don't have many examples of disgraced presidents who resign, Nixon. While Ford was obviously GOP, his 76 election loss was due to Watergate and inflation.) I find it stunning that, I think, we've had David Cameron, Teresa May, Boris Johnson and Truss (Liz? She was in office how long?) of late and this is still a run of conservative PMs. (Fascinating.)

Also, as an American, though a shouldn't, I am interested in the royal protocol. QEII received Truss just days before she died. Whomever is the new PM meets Charles III, whom I keep calling Prince still.

Good stuff from afar.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The UK is officially a third world shit hole. They’ve happily brought it on themselves.
The election cycles are just starting to catch up with their status.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Don’t take it to heart, just an observation from a New Yorker.
No, it's cool. We definitely have plenty of problems at the minute and by the looks of things it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Inflation is running at 10% and electric and gas (to heat homes) prices have gone through the roof. Plus they've already said that in order to balance the books there's gonna have to be cuts to infrastructure and public spending.

First we had the whole BREXIT thing that dragged on for years then as soon as that was sorted we had covid and everything shut down. That has cost a fortune and we lost hundreds of thousands of people. Just to make matters worse Putin decides to invade Ukraine which made the cost of gas skyrocket.

It seems it's one thing after another at the moment.

Hopefully better times aren't too far off... 🤞

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
The UK is hardly great at the moment, and the problems are quite embedded and not just a result of recent tribulations (personally, I think it all started going down the toilet in 1906). That said, when I look around the world for an alternative, I quickly realize this is still the best country in the world to live.