PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

fallsguy

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
Not the best pic, but here is one of my Brighams. A 5 Dot with horizontal dots. Trying to identify this one, since I can't find any Brighams with 5 horizontal dots! Usually the 5 dots have 4 square dots with another in the center. Here it is....

dTHcw0y.jpg

brighamfan

Lurker
Sep 3, 2019
Elmira, Ontario, CANADA
I currently own 6 Brigham’s. From a very inexpensive ‘rusticated’ line billard, to a Canadian made 4 dot #14 shape pot. The newest is a Chinook in -naturally- a Canadian shape.

They are perhaps more traditional - in the best sense of the word- than some larger makers. Being more sturdy, practical, and understated (much like we Canadians) than some other pipes. But dollar for dollar you’ll be hard pressed to find pipes that consistently smoke as well as Brigham’s. The filter system (which isn’t) actually works, and the bonus is the pipes smoke superbly with or without the filter.

It’s sad that they aren’t made here anymore...I believe if Brigham had weathered the storms and stayed fully in Canada, with proper marketing, some changes to image and expanding their lines better...they’d be as big as, and desired as much as makers like Peterson, or Savinelli.7245

Reactions: fallsguy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They are perhaps more traditional - in the best sense of the word- than some larger makers. Being more sturdy, practical, and understated (much like we Canadians) than some other pipes. But dollar for dollar you’ll be hard pressed to find pipes that consistently smoke as well as Brigham’s. The filter system (which isn’t) actually works, and the bonus is the pipes smoke superbly with or without the filter.

It’s sad that they aren’t made here anymore...I believe if Brigham had weathered the storms and stayed fully in Canada, with proper marketing, some changes to image and expanding their lines better...they’d be as big as, and desired as much as makers like Peterson, or Savinelli.
I have to say that I didn't have a very good experience with my first Brigham: a Voyageur (1 dot) volcano: quite the deep chamber and endless bite didn't particularly endear it to me. I also have to say that I reckon the problem was on the side of the stem opposite the bowl. After more piping experience, thank God I can smoke essentially biteless now: my brand new Heritage smoked flawlessly, aside from several relights (which I don't blame on the pipe). I'm wanting to smoke my old Voyageur more now that I've learned the ropes about technique and not needing to pack the bowl all the way to the rim.

I'm not sure Brigham could have handled the storm. Dunno what it was exactly that made them outsource the production, but based on what I've seen during my brief time as a craftsman the endless, ever mounting, stupid government regulations, especially the environmental ones, make it nigh impossible for an industry to survive in this country, unless they are like ** cough cough ** SNC Lavalin ** cough cough **.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
One significant factor in Brigham's decision to move production overseas was the simple fact that the craftsmen that worked at Brighams were retiring/passing away. A lot of them had immigrated to Canada and there just weren't any to take their place. And remember, if you can, the jump in wage increases for the labour force. You couldn't recover that in the pipe prices no matter how much you might try.

Reactions: Saintwilliam