PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
dscf6041-600x449.jpg

A few months ago you guys were asking to see my collection of Brigham pipes. So I finally figured out how to solve the problem of posting pictures.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
They all smoke well, the two on the right smoke the best. They are also the oldest so maybe they are just better broken in. The rock maple filter really helps keep the goop to a minimum.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Awesome collection!! I like the far right best... Seems like it would be easy to pack if it sits up by itself!!

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Nice collection. I have one Brigham, a 2 dot #47. I like it, still not 100% sure i'll sell it or not. I might wait till its broken in, I'm sure i'll be happier with it by then. I'm considering not using the filter, I don't like having to take apart the stem just to run a pipe cleaner through, then to rinse it and let it dry etc.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Al, I usually smoke them with the filter but if I run out of filters I don't let that stop me. Usually see the biggest difference with aromatics. English blends smoke well either way.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Those are all sharp looking pipes. I have yet to try a Brigham. I may have to looking acquiring one sometime provided that they smoke well without the filters.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
The rock maple filters are about 1/8" ID with an aluminum ring on one end. The filter fits firmly into an aluminum tube that sits proud of the shank slightly. I'll post pics later on when I have my camera handy. You would never know the filter is in the pipe from a draw perspective. The only time I realize I have one in is when I smoke an aromatic tobacco in one and it tends to smoke drier than without. It is a totally different experiance than a 9mm filter with I don't prefer. I find the 9mm filter does effect the draw and I have to me more careful about my packing method. I leave my filter in for about three smokes and then will switch it out. You can wash the filters in soapy water and dry them and reuse a few times however they are really cheap and at $2.00cdn for a box of 12 I can't see the value added in washing. When I go to the hunt camp I usually wash them so I don't have to remember to bring filters with me. Like I said before you can smoke the pipe without and will not notice anything different in smoke except in they give a dryer cooler smoke. Honestly haven't noticed a difference with my English blends. The English blends are not as hard on the filters either. I have noticed Dunhill nightcap doesn't leave much residue after a few days of smoking like an aro would.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
This is the only filter system I like. They smoke like a regular pipe but remove lots of the moisture. Nice pipes!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I like the Brig filter system. It is terrific but it must be done properly. I open the 8 pack of filters and rotate them all. After my smoke I replace the filter with a new one. When I have used all but one, I rinse the 7 used ones under the Hot water tap, rubbing them between my palms with a wee bit of dish soap. Make sure they are very well rinsed and set them to dry on a piece of paper towel, or whatever you choose. Afer they are dry, I run a bristle cleaner tru each one to maintain the draught hole in them as they have a tendancy to swell where they enter the metal tip. In this manner, an 8 pack of filters lasts for approximately 400 smokes!
http://www.brighampipes.com/The%20Brigham%20Pipe%20Filter.htm

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting. I asked because Brian Levine mentions them on his radio show and one of his interviews, the Father, smoked them as well. I've never smoked a filter pipe to this point. Thanks for the points of difference between the Brigham system and the 9 mm style. Thinking back, Brian did describe the Brigham pipe as a system pipe (ala Peterson).

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
My brother in law has a Brigham and it smokes amazingly with the filter system so much so that if i don't end up winning the cartoon caption contest this month I'm just going to buy one haha. heres a pic of his.
408326_10151423235272889_1071687521_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.