PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:
Does it really matter where the briar comes from? Or the process used?

I see some people arguing that Algerian briar smokes better than other kinds. I know some brands claim or claimed they use it used certain kinds of briar or special processes like oil curing. So, do you notice real differences in particular pipes that you can attribute to one of these discrete elements? How confident are you that this is a factor and not a marketing point alone?

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It can matter or not, depending on what matters to you. I own and have smoked plenty of pipes made from Algerian briar and can’t say that they smoke better than Grecian or Sardinian briar, but I do like the deeply craggy blasts that the softer wood allowed.

Mills offer briar in a number of grades, and may have cutters with greater or lesser skill at setting up the block for the carver and that may have some affect on what a carver can do with a particular piece of wood.

I always liked the sweet nutty flavor of Lee Von Erck’s pipes, which he attributed to his oil curing process, but other than that I can’t say I notice any innate superiority of oil over air, except possibly from the standpoint of dimensional stability.

I suspect that the biggest differences lie with the qualities of that block and the skill of the carver.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I thought this video was pretty informative on the briar selection process.

That’s fascinating.
It can matter or not, depending on what matters to you. I own and have smoked plenty of pipes made from Algerian briar and can’t say that they smoke better than Grecian or Sardinian briar, but I do like the deeply craggy blasts that the softer wood allowed.

Mills offer briar in a number of grades, and may have cutters with greater or lesser skill at setting up the block for the carver and that may have some affect on what a carver can do with a particular piece of wood.

I always liked the sweet nutty flavor of Lee Von Erck’s pipes, which he attributed to his oil curing process, but other than that I can’t say I notice any innate superiority of oil over air, except possibly from the standpoint of dimensional stability.

I suspect that the biggest differences lie with the qualities of that block and the skill of the carver.
Right and this is more my question. I love the aesthetics of pipes and, like most, I’ve certain features I find attractive but now I’m wondering if there are kinds of briar that might not look as good but smoke better because of the type or the process. But people here seem to be saying no. Someone here was claiming that Marxman-s smoked great because they’re made from Algerian briar. Maybe it’s a far-fetched claim.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I see some people arguing that Algerian briar smokes better than other kinds. I know some brands claim or claimed they use it used certain kinds of briar or special processes like oil curing. So, do you notice real differences in particular pipes that you can attribute to one of these discrete elements? How confident are you that this is a factor and not a marketing point alone?
In the last month I’ve added about a half dozen high condition old pre independence Algerian briar pipes to my hoard.

I think Algerian briar is better smoking, but not better looking.

Algerian briar was the same species of Heather as found elsewhere around the rim of the Mediterranean.

But the same tobacco seeds planted in Cuba taste different than planted in Honduras or the Dominican Republic.

The soil Algerian briar grew on was different, and the weather conditions, especially the high winds of Algeria, made it difficult for the heath shrub to grow.

Most important perhaps, were the colonial French briar buyers who only purchased the finest briar offered by the local Muslim population.

When it was available certain pipe makers like Edward’s made unstained pipes of this color, to let the customer know he was buying Algerian briar.

57CFBA4F-A11D-4B2A-83A5-F983988D5EA4.jpeg

Edward’s oil cured all their Algerian briar.

There were several reasons for oil curing.

The first reason was Algerian briar required longer curing and longer aging, by all accounts. Oil curing helped cure it.

The second reason was oil curing was said to harden the notoriously soft Algerian briar.

And fine, high grade pipes such as a Lee or Dunhill, and others, were oil cured, back in that era. Oil curing was a hallmark of quality.

Another absolutely dependable difference of Algerian briar is it’s very easy to scrape caking from Algerian briar. Why that is so, I’ve not decided, but it’s obvious and one my better ways to decide if a pipe is made of Algerian briar.

Last edited:

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020

Yes I do notice a difference. I’m not sure what causes it but I have pipes more consistent with the brand than not that smoke and taste better meaning sweeter with less tannin taste. Rich esserman has also describes this very well. Sasieni, castello, Dunhill, Boswell, barling Cavicchi, Ashton, Astley and others that are consistently better tasting to me. I love the shapes of savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson but always end up selling them because no matter how much I love the look and feel of their pipes they just don’t taste as good (except Savinelli Corello series for some reason). Is that the briar, seasoning process, or something else? I don’t know. It is NOT the shape, finish or feel of them though.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cosmetically? For some. Where the briar originated is a concern for some. The differences are probably irrelevant to the majority of pipe buyers. It all depends on what you want from a piece of dead wood. Appearance is one of my criteria for even asking to examine a pipe in a shop. But, that has more to do with the proportions and finish. Where the piece of wood originated? Not a factor.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When you read about Algerian briar it had a bad reputation for being too soft and it was seldom very beautifully grained. Dunhill oil cured his supplies and then sandblasted them.

It was prized for how it smoked.

If you’ll find a high condition example of Algerian briar, not only is it cool smoking, there’s a certain richer, more robust flavor I think you’ll find pleasing if you like a hearty, rich smoke.

What stopped Algerian briar was the French losing the Algerian War of Independence. As cruel and inhumane as the colonial French were, they had set up a briar industry to rival the reputation of Cuban cigars or French wine.

The briar is still there in Algeria, but the industry is long gone.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Someone here was claiming that Marxman-s smoked great because they’re made from Algerian briar. Maybe it’s a far-fetched claim.
That would have been the solicitor from Missouri. I think it is softer, but not a better smoking piece of briar. It May have been why Marxman carvers sculpted their pipes into faces, as well as so many carefree rusticated designs.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
When you read about Algerian briar it had a bad reputation for being too soft and it was seldom very beautifully grained. Dunhill oil cured his supplies and then sandblasted them.

It was prized for how it smoked.

If you’ll find a high condition example of Algerian briar, not only is it cool smoking, there’s a certain richer, more robust flavor I think you’ll find pleasing if you like a hearty, rich smoke.

What stopped Algerian briar was the French losing the Algerian War of Independence. As cruel and inhumane as the colonial French were, they had set up a briar industry to rival the reputation of Cuban cigars or French wine.

The briar is still there in Algeria, but the industry is long gone.
Ropp still uses it. Or it at least slaps the word “Algerian” on some their pipes anyway. But I guess some of them are old stummels? IDK. Champ smokers though. And affordable.