PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Aaargh!! I had no idea how much I wouldn't like this briar stem! At my age dry mouth is already a thing to some extent, and this stem sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. It feels quite bad to have in my mouth, sort of like a piece of tissue or paper towel. It reminds me of smoking a clay pipe with an unfinished stem with no paint or chap stick on it, it kind of like sticks to my lips a little. I'll have to think of a way to make it more palatable. Maybe some food grade mineral oil, chapstick, or even a coating of polyurethane. Any suggestions?
Dang, sorry to hear about that experience! Chapstick seems like a good place to start since I doubt it'll have any permanence should you decide you don't like it. You might also want to start a new thread in the repair and maintenance section.

Reactions: agnosticpipe

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Aaargh!! I had no idea how much I wouldn't like this briar stem! At my age dry mouth is already a thing to some extent, and this stem sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. It feels quite bad to have in my mouth, sort of like a piece of tissue or paper towel. It reminds me of smoking a clay pipe with an unfinished stem with no paint or chap stick on it, it kind of like sticks to my lips a little. I'll have to think of a way to make it more palatable. Maybe some food grade mineral oil, chapstick, or even a coating of polyurethane. Any suggestions?
So they're recommended for droolers?

• Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have this Briarcliff - only briar stem I've handled. It's a beautiful pipe but the metal ring is stuck to the stem (should be the shank, per a member here).

KQWHFYy.jpeg

P4TYWNV.jpeg

Reactions: FLDRD

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Sorry about your experience. Let us know how you decided to address the issue. Thanks to comments in this thread, though, I know that I won’t be checking out any pipes with briar stem in Chicago. I will probably stick to either horn or acrylic stems.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I have a pipe with a box stem, which apparently is common enough thing with recorders. Several people from that community recommended sweet almond oil. It isn't an overnight solution, but it's definitely helped.

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nice! I agree about French pipes. I've had a couple Chacoms, still have one of them and smoke it often. Very elegant shape. The other one had a unique bone stem. I sold that to a friend years ago whom fell in love with it and have regretted it ever since!