PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I just got my first pipe with a briar stem. I'd thought about getting one for some time, and when I looked at the sale on estates at Smoking Pipes I found this little gem. A very nice shape with beautiful color made by Genod of France. For just $65.00 including shipping what's not to like? And it's not a small pipe either. For the life of me, I have no idea why French pipes are so under rated and so reasonably priced. Even at $120.00 brand new there's nothing with a briar stem that comes close. I find the construction of French pipes as good as any from any other country.
Anyone else got a briar stem pipe? What do you think of them, other than the wear and tear incurred on the bit, they seem kind of cool!
7E595A68-B4BF-4C84-9B02-EB256C88B221_1_201_a.jpeg

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Beautiful pipe, congrats!
The only pipes I have that have wooden stems are a couple of Flogglewerks churchwardens.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I do love the look of briar stems but have never owned one. I clench most of the time and someone told me clenching briar is like biting a toothpicks so I wasn't as interested after that. But damn are they beautiful!

For the life of me, I have no idea why French pipes are so under rated and so reasonably priced.
I know at least one Alaskan who would share this sentiment.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have at least one Kaywoodie with a briar stem, and a few French pipes with wooden stems (some might be beech, not briar). I’ve never been a clencher and tend to hold my pipes when I smoke. All of the pipes I have with wood stems are similar to my pipes with horn stems—they all have a slight mouth drying quality; I don’t mind them, but that astringent sensation is definitely different that vulcanite or acrylic.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have several and enjoy them all, I find briar quite comfortable.

If you are a hard clencher, they will actually mold to your teeth like a custom retainer, hahaha. Obviously I’d only use cheaper ones for that tho 😂

Your point about french pipes is absolutely correct, they can be some of the best value pipes in the market.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I know at least one Alaskan who would share this sentiment.
I also have this sentiment. My Chacom stomps an absolute mudhole in my other factory pipes and cost the same or less than the others I have. Better finish, better drilling, better grain, all of it. I've seen other French pipes in the same price point as some others that, at least in pictures, look better than their competitors. It's my most favorite of my briars.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I am also a fan of French pipes, currently own two and planning on buying one or two more. Briar stem looks very aesthetically pleasing, and, frankly, I have been intrigued by them for some time now. I hope the retailers will have some for sale at the Chicago Pipe Show in a couple of weeks. I’d prefer to see one in person before I commit. Alternatively, I’d go for another Ropp vintage with a horn stem.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Aaargh!! I had no idea how much I wouldn't like this briar stem! At my age dry mouth is already a thing to some extent, and this stem sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. It feels quite bad to have in my mouth, sort of like a piece of tissue or paper towel. It reminds me of smoking a clay pipe with an unfinished stem with no paint or chap stick on it, it kind of like sticks to my lips a little. I'll have to think of a way to make it more palatable. Maybe some food grade mineral oil, chapstick, or even a coating of polyurethane. Any suggestions?

• Sad
Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Aaargh!! I had no idea how much I wouldn't like this briar stem! At my age dry mouth is already a thing to some extent, and this stem sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. It feels quite bad to have in my mouth, sort of like a piece of tissue or paper towel. It reminds me of smoking a clay pipe with an unfinished stem with no paint or chap stick on it, it kind of like sticks to my lips a little. I'll have to think of a way to make it more palatable. Maybe some food grade mineral oil, chapstick, or even a coating of polyurethane. Any suggestions?

Yes, unfortunately, that has generally been my experience with wood stems. Wax or Chapstick might be worthwhile options for you. Regardless, it’s a handsome pipe.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
French pipes, yes. Briar stems, no. They do look cool, though. Very pleasing to the eye. I would just have a regular stem made for it, and keep the briar one for display. Or maybe use those much hated rubber bit protectors. I find that stick-to-itself tape works rather well for this.

Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
Maybe a softy but would do the trick.

Aug 1, 2012
French pipes, yes. Briar stems, no. They do look cool, though. Very pleasing to the eye. I would just have a regular stem made for it, and keep the briar one for display. Or maybe use those much hated rubber bit protectors. I find that stick-to-itself tape works rather well for this.
Maybe a softy but would do the trick.
Great minds eh? puffy

Reactions: burleybreath

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I just got my first pipe with a briar stem. I'd thought about getting one for some time, and when I looked at the sale on estates at Smoking Pipes I found this little gem. A very nice shape with beautiful color made by Genod of France. For just $65.00 including shipping what's not to like? And it's not a small pipe either. For the life of me, I have no idea why French pipes are so under rated and so reasonably priced. Even at $120.00 brand new there's nothing with a briar stem that comes close. I find the construction of French pipes as good as any from any other country.
Anyone else got a briar stem pipe? What do you think of them, other than the wear and tear incurred on the bit, they seem kind of cool!
View attachment 298377
That's a very pretty pipe. I second the suggestion to try a softy bit.