smiley_duck.gif
smiley_duck.gif
smiley_duck.gif
smiley_duck.gif

696bad14g91fe11439bc4&690&690

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
Just to cap off the debate I started. In advance of a blizzard we have coming in. I went to a local B&M; John B. Hayes Tobacconist, the guy there helped me pick out a Savinelli sandblast billiard that I absolutely love...If you saw my post about Vaper blends, he took care of that question as well, he actually mixed me up a custom blend on the spot...it turns out that I'm not really a fan of perique, but I'm glad that I tried it. He also gave me some tips about packing. I'm convinced that every beginning piper absolutely needs to find a good B&M with a good staff. I learned more in 20 minutes at that store than I have from 20 hours of internet research!!!

misterlowercase...I love Vox guitars and amps, but I am primarily a Fender guy. Vox like Gibson is a little too clean for me...I like guitars to have some buzz's and eccentricities, for me Vox guitars are too well made so they are all the same and I have trouble bonding with them. In the end guitar's like pipes are a very personal choice and what makes me want to play or smoke may not be what makes someone else want to play or smoke...Pick a guitar that makes you want to play, and pick a pipe that makes you want to smoke...everything else is simply speculation!!!

May 31, 2012
...another thing I'd love to see an artisan maker doing,

shank logos!

:P
LWdzhMt.png

Kt4hKow.jpg
They're just so cool!
And collectors love little touches like that.

:puffy:

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Music, I agree 100% on the brick and mortar shops. Just the other day I spent some time with Larry discussing tobacco and pipes. Didn't spend a lot on products but walked away with some great advice. Still saving up to buy a good quality briar pipe.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I think pipes are like most other things manufactured. The higher you go in quality the exponentially higher the cost. Therefore if you have a $100 pipe and a $600 pipe, are you getting a pipe that is 6X better than the $100 pipe? Not at all. At best you are getting one that is 2X, but it is so expensive to get it there it costs 6X the price. I see this relationship in almost everything I buy. Cars, binoculars, guns, etc. You do get more when you pay more but sometimes it comes down to the law of diminishing returns. Is there a consensus of members on here as to what the "sweet spot" is for pipes, where you get the biggest bang for your buck?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
 Is there a consensus of members on here as to what the "sweet spot" is for pipes, where you get the biggest bang for your buck?
Easy. Between $73-$495. That's right in the sweet spot. :wink:
I'm just kiddin around. jpmcwjr is bang on.
My opinion, based solely on reading and my own thinking, is that returns on factory pipes max out at around $150-200 or even a little less. After the basic engineering and quality control of a good briar is accounted for, the more expensive pipes might have a nicer grain or finish and maybe a silver or gold band and hand cut stem. I'm sure certain names or brands carry a premium too, but none of these really affect smoking quality imo.

Here are a few recommendations for pipes.
1. Savinelli - 616KS, 320KS, 101, choose teh finish / series which suits your wallet.

2. Stanwell - 186 in any grade or finish

3. Peterson - 999, XL15, 80s, XL90, 01 any finish / series which suits your wallet.

4. Missouri Meerschaum - 4 pipes in the cobbit series, Freehand, Mark Twain, Diplomat with apple bowl. I always prefer bents when it comes to corn cobs.

5. Whatever fancies you. You might regret buying a few ones, but always go with your gut feeling.
Chris :puffpipe:

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
A few times when I've visited Pipe & Pint, someone has wanted me to pick out a pipe for them. I think the perception is that as a pipemaker, I must have magic senses or something, but the disappointing reality is that if somebody wants me to pick out a good pipe for them, first we'd have to have a 20 minute talk about which tobaccos they like, what style of tobaccos they like (flake, ribbon, etc), what their personal idea of style is, their tastes in classical vs imaginative, and of course how much money they have to spend.
Although, when it comes to new smokers my advice is always pretty much the same and simple - Have someone decently knowledgeable in the shop pick out a simple classical-shape basket pipe, preferably a straight or something mildly bent, and 2-3 cobs to go with it. Minimal investment and thus minimal waste if the person gives it up a month later, and if they find they enjoy these basics they can go in any direction from there.

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Any opinion on Fe-Ro pipes? I'm debating getting one or saving a little more and getting a Savinelli.

May 31, 2012
Note to self:

after rereading this thread and my posts in it,

a breathalyzer lock on the 'ol laptop may not be a bad idea.

LOL

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.