PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made one pendant for a guy a few years ago, who wanted a briar cabochon instead of a stone. I picked up some scraps from Skip's home shop, where he makes his pipes. I cut a section out from a piece that had been sandblasted. The whole thing was sort of plain, but he loved it. But, it has since been sent back to me for adjustment twice. I'm really hesitant about using briar now, because it doesn't take a friction setting very well, because it is essentially spongey and wiggles out of physical settings, and it doesn't take epoxy very well either, not for the type of abuse a pendant swinging around your neck would over the years, and especially not on a ring.

There are a few guys making watch bands out of wood, where the wood is machined out with CAD and then linked to make a sectional band with links. I wouldn't mind something like that made out of briar, if it were then sandblasted. Maybe even have the watch case machined out of it as well. But, I am not certain how long something like that would last.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I'm not the guy for wearing a Bolo-"string tie" .....but I think a nice center piece, and those two hanging tips, if made from rusticated/blasted briar .....would look great!

On second thought....maybe I'll make one of these Bolo-ties and use up some of my briar scraps.

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good wood carver and/or wood worker can do amazing things with any wood. Pre-Renaissance religious sculpture was often done in wood, and though wood does not preserve as well as stone and metal, the results are still astonishing, and in some ways more powerful for being more fragile. Some artists render flowing fabric out of wood and fairly convincing faces and hands.

Any pictures of this incredibly cool sounding item?
Radice cane.jpg

Here is the top of it. It breaks down into 4 pieces, and comes with a cloth case much like a Flyrod case for storage. The bone as shown is where one would hold the cane or you could actually use the pipe as a handle. It's surprisingly sturdy. The pipe is like as group 6 size (just used that to give you an idea; it's pretty big) and is shown on the cane with the cap in place, also made of Briar. It's quite the curiosity but totally impractical. As of right now, it's unsmoked and that's probably how it will remain. Things change though.... puffy

This is only the second one I have seen.

Reactions: rajangan
Status
Not open for further replies.