PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Apart from pipes and tampers is briar commonly used for other purposes or well know for being carved for some other purpose?

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just off the top of my head: pens, tool-handles, inlays, jewelry, pendants, turning, or, carving small objects, knobs, etc. Briar is wood. Do with it, what you do with any other pieces of exotic wood.....

I probably could think of some other uses, but I'm half-senile, and it's 4.56 AM....it's way too early for me to think.

Reactions: canucklehead
Jewelry? I'm intrigued, could someone post some pictures, please?

I'm not so sure about tool handles. Maybe for files, but I would think that for things like hammers, it wouldn't be very effective.

Someone had posted some pictures a while back of things that were experimentally made with briar at about the timeframe when briar was first considered for pipes. Things like ladies elegant mirror frames for hand-held vanity mirrors, women's hair combs and barrettes, and some inlay. Turn of the century women's stuff.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Briar is more labor to harvest than many woods, exotic or otherwise, since the relevant wood is below ground, so you dig it before you cut it. I think that limits it use, though the scraps from hewing out pipe stummels might provide a source for smaller items.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Briar is more labor to harvest than many woods, exotic or otherwise, since the relevant wood is below ground, so you dig it before you cut it. I think that limits it use, though the scraps from hewing out pipe stummels might provide a source for smaller items.
On a commercial level, that is true, but there are also many, many woodworkers out there cutting burls and digging out roots to use in turning vessels and other creative wood projects.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

I'm not so sure about tool handles. Maybe for files, but I would think that for things like hammers, it wouldn't be very effective.

Someone had posted some pictures a while back of things that were experimentally made with briar at about the timeframe when briar was first considered for pipes. Things like ladies elegant mirror frames for hand-held vanity mirrors, women's hair combs and barrettes, and some inlay. Turn of the century women's stuff.
18k-gold-ring-and-briar-wood-inside.jpg

Gold band with briar inlay. About the coolest thing I saw from a quick Google image search.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
View attachment 72810

Gold band with briar inlay. About the coolest thing I saw from a quick Google image search.

Thinking on the creative side. The shank of a busted pipe could be sliced into wooden beads.

• Love
Reactions: didimauw
I have a 36 count pipe cabinet made by Savinelli. It has tinted glass doors and 3 holes on each side to let it breath. They stopped making them years ago and the price was around 2000.00. I stole mine for a box of Cuban Trinidad Fundadores.
Sorry for the crap pic.
I have this same EXACT Savinelli cabinet, but I have mine hanging on a wall. I keep all my high end pipes in it. I think its only Briar inlay over mahogany. DAMNED nice cabinet though.

Reactions: rajangan
Status
Not open for further replies.