PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
ulsterpaddy’s post on “2 bad smokes” made me want to pose a few questions about briar density.
We’ve discussed how bowl shape, thickness, grain pattern, finishes (smooth, rusticated, sandblasted, and shellac) could possibly affect the pipes performance here: two questions and here: bowl temp but we have not directly addressed the question about bowl density. Will the density of the briar affect the pipes performance or your smoking experience?
1. We know that briar is dense but are some briars more dense than others?

2. If so, does this mean a less dense or more porous briar would absorb more spittle/juice/condensation than a more dense briar? If it absorbs more sour juice in the inner bowl bottom and shaft, then it would require cleaning more often to avoid a “bad smoke”.

3. Would a more dense briar smoke hotter or cooler (where not talking about wall thickness)? Does the denseness of the wood shield the outer bowl from the inner heat or would a more porous wood allow the heat to dissipate faster and more evenly and thus be a cooler smoke?

4. I have read that the grain in older briars is tighter (or finer) but does this mean denser?

5. Would the straight grain section of a pipe be denser than the bird’s eye section? Would it be analogous to asking if a piece of cardboard would soak up more if you pored liquid across its flat side or across the edge?
I have more but that’s enough for now.
Please note that I’m not trying to give the impression that a slightly more porous pipe is soaking up spittle like a sponge. But I do believe that any microscopic permeation by that soured condensation can negatively affect one’s pipe pleasure. Heat or steam intensifies the unpleasantness of left over spittle that may be present. You add heat or stem to any foul thing and its smells worse. Like turning your central heat on for the first time in the fall or winter or passing gas in a hot shower. :x
I look forward to your replies.
William

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have often seen huge variance in the density of briar. A while back I had two identical GBD pipes that had a fairly large difference in weight. I checked the weight because I couldn't believe that they could be that different.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Like turning your central heat on for the first time in the fall or winter or passing gas in a hot shower.

I take it you're not married? :lol:
A very interesting question, William, and I'm adding this to my go-to topics; I'm very interested to hear the most experienced among us weigh in with their opinions.
And manytrees, that just sucks about your Ben Wade. Here's hoping that the wheel of karma spins in your favor soon. :puffy:

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. The denser bowl will usually smoke cooler but takes longer to cool down.

4. Yes

5. Straight grain and bird’s eye are not different types of grain, they are different views of the same wood. Pipes are normally carved with the straight grain running vertically up the sides of the bowl which shows bird’s eye on the rim and the bottom of the pipe. Think of it as a bundle of straws. When you look at it from the side, it shows a series of long straight lines (straight grain). When you look at it from the end, it shows a series of circles (bird’s eye).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, Kcvet67 just about covered the questions.

All I can add is that Carl Ehwa, in The Book Of Pipes And Tobacco states that pipes with a lot of bird's eye grain are highly prized for their ability to absorb tars and oils, but must be rested for a correspondingly longer period of time.
In a related post, member/mod Lawrence also pointed out that straight grain pipes, aside from their aesthetic beauty, purportedly conduct heat more efficiently than other grain types. (I don't think the question was ever resolved, but I'm inclined to accept what he said.)
As for that defective pipe with an interior that looked like a honeycomb, I'm totally miffed -- never imagined such a thing could happen. Maybe something like dry rot is involved, or the pipe was exposed to a destructive chemical.

Status
Not open for further replies.