PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I find that when everything is working in harmony and my technique is just right, the act of smoking becomes a passive experience — with the pipe seemingly smoking itself and me controlling the amount of smoke I care to enjoy from it. When this happens I enter a very meditative state. All is in balance.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find that when everything is working in harmony and my technique is just right, the act of smoking becomes a passive experience — with the pipe seemingly smoking itself and me controlling the amount of smoke I care to enjoy from it. When this happens I enter a very meditative state. All is in balance.
it is incredible how pleasurable a pipe can be. A very lowkey but deep pleasure.

Mar 1, 2014
I think most people would be better off trying the "Bellows Method" as described here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=td6S3qCikG4

"Grandpa Cavendish" here does a good job describing correct cadence.

The way I see people describe "Breath Smoking" seems generally disjointed.

The only thing I do differently from "Bellows Method" is sometimes I will only move smoke in and out through the pipe (never releasing smoke out from your mouth).
To me, "Breath Smoking" means you keep your breathing and smoking absolutely 100% separated at all times and breathing clean air is what makes it so appealing, at the same time I must add the disclaimer that it is very wet, you will never finish smoking to the bottom of the bowl this way.

If you're a little less stringent about allowing smoke to waft past your nose then it is probably best just to copy Grandpa Cavendish.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I think most people would be better off trying the "Bellows Method" as described here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=td6S3qCikG4

"Grandpa Cavendish" here does a good job describing correct cadence.

The way I see people describe "Breath Smoking" seems generally disjointed.

The only thing I do differently from "Bellows Method" is sometimes I will only move smoke in and out through the pipe (never releasing smoke out from your mouth).
To me, "Breath Smoking" means you keep your breathing and smoking absolutely 100% separated at all times and breathing clean air is what makes it so appealing, at the same time I must add the disclaimer that it is very wet, you will never finish smoking to the bottom of the bowl this way.

If you're a little less stringent about allowing smoke to waft past your nose then it is probably best just to copy Grandpa Cavendish.
I use this technique, and I think bellows is accurate. When I do it though, I always breathe in and out of my nose, but use my mouth to pump smoke into my mouth, or out through the pipe, or out my nose, and occasionally out of my mouth. I wish I could smoke a bowl non stop without having to take the pipe out of my mouth, but salivation usually wins sooner or later.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I rarely if ever breath smoke. I take the smoke in my mouth, blow some smoke through my nose, some through my mouth and I don't really pay attention that much. I always clench my pipes except for 2 group 6's that I have. All my other pipes are group 4-5's and are easy to clench. This whole breath smoking thing is something I can do if I want, but I never try to do it unless I really pay attention. I prefer the system that I have which is mostly retro haling as that is where I get the most flavors.

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
What tobacco are you smoking?

I had that problem before starting with the breath method, but now only have to spit when I smoke very strong tobacco (SG 1792).