PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Been practicing the breath technique a lot lately, and the problem I'm running into is salivation. Will this go away with time? I wish I could smoke like this 100% of the time but so much saliva builds up. Anyone have experience with this?

Reactions: Sanzini

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's a defense mechanism to protect the mouth lining. Your salivary glands may build up a tolerance, if not, just swallow.
One word, spittoon.
like many things in life the better option is to swallow. Spitting will actually make your body generate more saliva. Where swallowing will not. Also drinking some water should help too as it will keep your mouth from drying out which is part of the reason you will salivate so much. And last thing it maybe the blend or blends you are smoking too. And there is no harm from swallowing your saliva in this situation. Anything potentially bad for your body will be utterly destroyed by your stomach acid. In fact if you eat tobacco you'll get almost no nicotine because it will be destroyed before it enters the small intestine (the longer of the intestines).

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Take sips of water or whatever drink u like. It happens to me most with a clencher and walking around doing things. Hand holding pipes may also decrease this. FYI I am an anesthesia nurse. Smokers produce an incredible amount of saliva. Multiple shot glasses worth. Like said before, saliva is the bodies way of healing

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
like many things in life the better option is to swallow.

While I definitely appreciate your double entendre, haha, I have to point out that there are studies showing that swallowing vs spitting while smoking does increase your risk of internal cancers (esophageal, stomach, etc.)

I definitely don't think it's worth worrying much about and I rarely spit unless out in the woods alone or the like, but just so the risk is properly understood.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
While I definitely appreciate your double entendre, haha, I have to point out that there are studies showing that swallowing vs spitting while smoking does increase your risk of internal cancers (esophageal, stomach, etc.)

I definitely don't think it's worth worrying much about and I rarely spit unless out in the woods alone or the like, but just so the risk is properly understood.
And more studies that show no correlation between the two. And how much of an increase. Also one thing I find suspect about that is the fact that you're going to be swallowing spit whether or not you do so intentionally as well as mucus from your nasal cavity (because it happens involuntarily) and the fact is spitting may cause you to swallow more spit then if intentionally do so, since it increases the output of saliva.
Or in other words I find something terrible suspect about those studies. Or at least treating them as gospel.
Oh and this might be even more key. What kind of smoking was studied? Because cigarettes and pipes really aren't the same thing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
OP, what 'breath technique' are you referring to, btw?
basically it's an exploitation of the fact that you don't have to actively participate in pulling smoke from your pipe to your mouth. Which is actually a really useful thing to know. Really useful because even if you don't breath smoke you will still realize the parameters of how much pull is necessary to keep a pipe going (much less then it would initial seem). I highly recommend giving it a try because it's useful to know either because smoking like that is really where it's at for some cats, or just cause it can help improve your technique overall.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In effect it becomes a smoking metronome where the pipe nearly smokes itself.
yes. I agree the breath is more a counter then an active mover. And well focusing on ones breathing is a very calming activity for some reason and the basis for one school of yoga. So that adds to the effects as well. But I've experimented with holding my breath for the same amount of time I can do three cycles and found that it seems breathing does increase the draw it's not the big thing moving it in this technique. (I think it's probably pressure differences creating mini wind, but I don't know beyond if you hold your breath it still works.). And for the benefit of people trying it the first time I do not use this technique but love that I tried it, helped me realize that my ideal technique is to sip and what I mean is to more actively nudge the smoke a long more then pull it in.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
basically it's an exploitation of the fact that you don't have to actively participate in pulling smoke from your pipe to your mouth. Which is actually a really useful thing to know. Really useful because even if you don't breath smoke you will still realize the parameters of how much pull is necessary to keep a pipe going (much less then it would initial seem). I highly recommend giving it a try because it's useful to know either because smoking like that is really where it's at for some cats, or just cause it can help improve your technique overall.
well put.