PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I prefer Prince Albert in the morning. It might be a little bland, but it is always good.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
McCranie's Somerled is a nice mild smoke for the AM. It's about the only time I really enjoy it anymore, after OD'ing on it all last year.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I'm with hnryclay, good ole Prince Albert and a big cup of black coffee is how my days start.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Before the thread gets too cold, I want to say thanks again to those who took the time to share their thoughts with me.

This really helps because I hadn't considered English, crossovers and solid naturals. To be honest,there are days when I know I need more than a gentle wake-up call, and instead, a real eye-opener!

Sincere thanks to everyone!

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
1Q would be a good go to. I've always liked burley blends so I either go with Carter Hall or Butternut Burley.

scott306

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I'm kind of a backwards guy. I like my nightcap in the morning. nothing better then a pipe of that and a nice frsh coffee. I'd probably like EMP just before bed knowing me. lol

Thanks and happy smoking! :puffpipe:

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks, guys. I can see the appeal of an English in the morning. I enjoy a good cup of coffee. I'll have to try and match up my smoke and see how it works out for me.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Although a heavy vanilla blend with a cup of joe or hot chocolate sounds divine... Like I said...
Never in the morning for me.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Sounds good, Spartan - makes sense too. I can't help but think coffee and an English,VA or VAPer might fight each other.

But it'll be fun to experiment. Some mornings I opt for a strong tea like Twinings Irish Breakfast.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
My breakfast bowl use to be Sir Walter Raleigh. Goes great with coffee. But lately it's been Granger. Both go well with my coffee and both seem to have a great little nic kick. Both of which I need to get my day started.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
For me Va's are for enjoying when you want to drive people away.
Or on the rare occasion I'm in the mood for something hot and biting.
NEVER IN THE MORNING!!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My aros have been somewhat neglected lately as I've been spending much of my time with " The Dark Side Of The Force ", ( Latakia )! But for me the ultimate aromatic is 1Q! There's a few other good aros in my rotation , mainly local B&M blends, but 1Q is the top! If you like chocolate and cream tasting stuff, by any chance, then you might like CAO Eileen's Dream, it's good stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My morning smoke is always a Virginia Flake. My current list of first of the day smokes is:
Dunhill Flake

Capstan Blue

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage

Wessex Gold Virginia

Astleys 109

Rotary Navy Cut
On occasion I will go for Wessex Brown Virginia or John Aylesbury Luxury flake for a first of the day.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'll second Capstan Blue and Rotary as being great in the morning.
Harris, are you saying you only smoke pure Va's first thing, and hold off on the VaPer's and VaBur's until later in the day? Generally speaking?

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
For my occassional morning smokes, I prefer a VA/Per (this is actually where I find the most use for them) or a more straightforward English (965, maybe Westminster). A light English like EMP works too. Most importantly, they all pair with coffee. Basically anything that isn't aeromatic or incredibly lat heavy or rich, like Nightcap.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
My favorite by far is SG BBF, it's like cream in the coffee. I don't care for aromatics in the morning and will sometimes throw a bowl in later in the night. 80% of what I smoke is VA so it's a nice start before the VaPers. If it's not BBF I'll start with a non-Perique navy flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.