PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
My take is that Peterson drills them like that by design. It's easier to drill a straight mortise and then an angled airway channel to the bottom of the bowl. The fact that it functions as a sort of halfway version of the system reservoir is a possibly unintended benefit. Both my Aran 01 and my Kelly XL02 are drilled like this, both have a tough time with a pipe cleaner, and both smoke great. Bottom line is it's just how they are.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
This seems to be a 9mm filter pipe, but without seeing the tenon, I cannot say for sure, but the bowl was for sure drilled for the 9mm filter. All bent 9mm filter pipes are drilled like this, not only Petersons, but Stanwells, Vauens, Savinellis etc.

Actually the drilling looks to be very good in this bowl.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That's just the way Peterson drills most of their bent pipes, even the non-System pipes. I have 7 bent Petersons, all of which are drilled exactly like that, and they all smoke great! It does work very similar to their System pipes, which by design are drilled high in the shank. Because of this, most of them will not pass a cleaner all the way to the chamber. That being said, a lot of bent pipes in general, even some costly ones, will not pass a cleaner as well. The ones that will usually require some manipulation of the cleaner.

Now if you run into a straight Peterson that's drilled like that, something is wrong! All of my straight Petersons are drilled center of the shank, as any straight pipe should be, and they all pass a cleaner with ease.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Petersons seem to be going through a rough time with quality. It's sad, the classic shapes still draw me to them, and so far I've had no problems, but it does make me hesitant.
Contact Peterson and see what they'll do for you. Good Luck!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That's not the slant I took from the answer to question seven. I know that they get briar from the usual countries and it may come sawed into blocks. What I saw at the factory were employees working with chunks of briar. I'm guessing that when Palmer spoke "the bowls are mainly from Italy . . . " it was in the sense that the material was from those countries.
I will ask a pointed question next time I'm visiting Peterson in Dublin. Unless, a member living in Ireland can come up with a clarification sooner.
I'm planning on going in April. My wife is in the middle of a battle with cancer so the date is "iffy" at this time.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It's not an unknown problem with Petersons. I have one or two like that. You'd think that after 130 years they'd get it right.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
pipeherman: Is there some specific reason you believe that? Anecdotal evidence? Rumor? Please, share with us the source of your information.
I don't know that is fact, though I have accepted it as that from speaking to the owner of Pijpenkabinet (Amsterdam Pipe Museum). Speaking to him he stated that peterson ship their briar already cut and drilled from what they claim to be Italy, though he thinks its actually Spain (not too sure as of why).
From watching this video of the peterson pipe factory in Dublin it doesn't seem to dismiss what has been suggested to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YgQrnGMGPA
EDIT: Just noticed dryseason91 confirmed what I had assumed, thank you.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
for you folks who think the drilling towards the top on bent pipes is a QC issue.. get yourself a drill and drill dead center and let us know where where you hit the bowl.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Well that video explains why my silver bands always come off. Since I reglued them with gorrilla glue I have had no issues. Why on earth would they think carpenters glue would bond metal to wood? Love my Pete's but this makes me shake my head.

11fb

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
Suffolk, England
Its not an issue, never has been an issue, its how bents are drilled, can't believe so many pipemen think this is a flaw let alone say it aloud lol

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I have three petersons, love them all. Two of them are curved being a Mark Twain and a Peterson Kinsale XL11. I haven't really focused on the drilling holes. Hadn't ever considered it a problem. The draw is fantastic, not much manipulation of the pipe cleaner needs to be done. No problem. I think if anyone is going to critique Peterson it may be over some of the more vibrant stains, but I suppose thats just me being picky.
If I attempt to directly answer your question: It is normal, and it isn't a screw up.
Put some tobacco in it and try it out. :puffy:
Also +1 on the working for peterson and the Employer discount!

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I've a Shannon XL-02, similar to the Aran version of the XL-02, and it is drilled exactly has the photos above. I never assumed it to be an error but intentionally done to create a well for moisture collection purposes. I do recall anoher customer at my B&M asking about cleaning and he was told to wick out the shank with a Q-tip; works for me. I don't fret the pipe cleaner pass-though test myself.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hope I don't get flamed over this, but I have plenty of bents that are perfectly drilled and pass a pipe cleaner quite easily.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Us Forums members tend to think in terms of a perfect smoke. That's good. But sometimes, a pipe with

imperfections draws pretty well and can give years of satisfaction. If it ain't actually broke, don't fix it.

Some of my bent pipes pass a pipe cleaner, most of them don't. One or two of my quirky straight pipes

don't, but most (almost all) do. If you can take it apart and clean it, and it draws okay, and smokes well,

go with it. This isn't necessarily heaven, but now and then it feels like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.