Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That poker. Oh, my.
Well done, Ed. Well done.
So much for building tampers full time.
Lefty, quit denying your calling. You're a pipeman, my friend.
Fnord
I guess you could call me "The Reluctant Pipemaker" Jim ! 8O
Carl sent these pics yesterday.

brads-strawberry-poker-2-600x450.jpg

brads-strawberry-poker-1-600x450.jpg

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm in love with that poker ... absolutely breathtaking 8O

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
ejames that poker is #1 in my book. Absolutely a beauty. Do you happen to have a picture of any pipe that was not blasted? Curious to see what kind of finish a smooth one would have. Sorry brad almost forgot Congrats!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That stem came about kinda as a lark. I sent Brad a photo of the first pipe with an aluminum rod stuck in it. It's a tool I use as a handle and also to sand the end of shanks. Asked him how he liked aluminum stems and he came back with something like --"hey,why not". A solid aluminum stem would be too heavy and too hard so I decided to go a different route.

2016-05-23-001-1280x960-600x450.jpg

The parts of the stem,used a delrin tenon.

strawberry-poker-stem-2016-06-10-002-1280x984-600x461.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ejames that poker is #1 in my book. Absolutely a beauty. Do you happen to have a picture of any pipe that was not blasted? Curious to see what kind of finish a smooth one would have. Sorry brad Congrats!
Only this one. Only the shank was sanded to a high grit.Since it was to be blasted the bowl didn't need to be, so the grain doesn't show that well. Would look better with more sanding and buffing.
brads-strawberry-author-2016-06-06-001-800x400-600x300.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ed:
I'm completely slack-jawed, bowled over stupid by this poker. I've never seen anything like it and my hat's off to you and the frogman both for pushing the envelope.
We've got both boys home for the holiday and they just walked by the computer and said, "Whoa." (They're 23 and love cigars, but I think they'll eventually come around.)
It's just stunning, Ed. I've admired your work for so many years, but this Art Deco aluminum element in the stem is your best work ever.
Fnord

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
This whole adventure Ed and Brad et al are on, I think, is a splendid wonderful example of great pipe-world guys having a great time in pursuit of what we all love best! The pipes are truly spectacular works of art, imagination, and skill, but the fellowship and camaraderie are what tip the graphs off the scale in terms of humble joy, enjoyment, and satisfaction of jobs absolutely well done! Kudos and Cheers to all!!! Heck, I am having (well, almost) as much fun being an armchair observer of the processes as they unfold!! Way to go, guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.