PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bradley contacted me a few weeks ago about making him a strawberry pipe. He ended up asking for two, this one and a poker. The poker isn't done yet but sent this one to him a few days ago and he got it today. Told me I coould post pics as mine were better than his.
brad-simon-strawberry-author-2016-06-26-004-1280x693-600x324.jpg

brad-simon-strawberry-author-2016-06-26-003-1280x681-600x319.jpg

brad-simon-strawberry-author-2016-06-26-008-1280x1034-600x484.jpg

He did send me this photo-

img_3922-450x600.jpg

The sandblasting on both of Brads pipes was done by Carl Purdy of South Carolina. I am not set up to do and don't want to be.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I got my first strawberry wood pipe this past winter and I'm a believer. That wood is so light I could not believe it. That's a fine looking piece Ed and perfect for Brad. I'm sure he's enjoying it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ed:
Thank you for another lesson. Googled strawberry wood and learned something new today.
The pipe is beautiful and the blasting kills. It looked a bit small for our friend in the first few shots and then - when you see it hanging out his piehole - you know it'll do double duty clubbing seal pups.
What beautiful work.
Fnord

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Gents !
Thank you for another lesson. Googled strawberry wood and learned something new today.
The pipe is beautiful and the blasting kills. It looked a bit small for our friend in the first few shots and then - when you see it hanging out his piehole - you know it'll do double duty clubbing seal pups.
These two were a learning experience for me as well Jim. First time I've worked with Strawberry. It's lighter and softer and the grain is just crazy!
Brad wanted an Author-- 2 1/2 tall,which it is. Since Authors are basically round it didn't turn out to look like an Author. It is taller and wider than it is thick- the block was only 2 1/8" thick. It could probably be used to club seals though !

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As I scrolled the first few pictures, I was thinking, this is too small for tbradsman, surely he means another Brad? and then the pic with Brad and the pipe revealed the true size and proportion this pipe holds.

That's an interesting blast and a unique shape! Looks good on him.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Nice job, much bigger than the initial pictures show! That must've been a honkin piece of strawberry wood!
I like how you kept it natural, many guys stain them full black due to the pattern they blast.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How did you finish the wood after sandblasting?
The only finish is a coat of wax.
I like how you kept it natural, many guys stain them full black due to the pattern they blast.
That's how Brad wanted it and I'm glad he did. I don't like black pipes much. Got the wood from Steve Norse--his largest size blocks.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Are you sure it isn't Strawberry Briar?
As opposed to strawberry wood? I use Steve as well and don't recall seeing strawberry wood on his site.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well,in my feeble old brain they( strawberry wood and strawberry briar) are one and the same. 8O To me it's hard to call anything but briar-briar.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ed made the wise choice, he made me a pipe of Strawberry Briar that is softer and shows beautiful graining and is not prone to split as Strawberry Wood, the trunk wood. Mr Norse even complimented Ed as making a very wise choice, sad he didn't see how Beautiful the pipe turned out. :clap:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are you sure it isn't Strawberry Briar?
It's strawberry wood. From a shrub called a strawberry tree that grows in the Mediterranean. Briar is the English corruption of "bruyere" meaning white heath, or tree heath.
Gorgeous work either way. Have you had the chance to smoke them yet Brad? Always wondered how strawberry compared to briar.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
He hasn't had the chance to smoke the poker yet,it is still at the sandblasters,although I was informed today that he has it done and it will be on it's way to me tomorrow.

pass6-600x450.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That poker. Oh, my.
Well done, Ed. Well done.
So much for building tampers full time.
Lefty, quit denying your calling. You're a pipeman, my friend.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.