PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Scott's lawn care products including the miracle grow line of products. This company has a no hire policy for all tobacco users. I also understand they do random testing and will terminate an employee for testing positive for nicotine. I want to encourage all members to not buy products or services from this company. In my opinion such practices are discriminatory and a prime example of how far some anti-tobacco radicals are willing to go to belittle all tobacco users. In the United States of America "We the people" of legal age are supposed to have free will of the decisions we make. If an adult chooses to use tobacco products that is their informed choice to make. I do not believe a employer should be the one to dictate what you do in your own home away from work.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
State Farm Insurance Company

They will no longer allow smoking on their premises. No smoking outside or in the parking areas. They also encourage people to call the 'code of conduct hot line' to report violators. I will never use State Farm Insurance and for those of you who do use them, I urge you to seriously consider changing to a different insurance company.
(Link to my original post about this: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/state-farm-goes-smoke-free)

scottydu81

Lurker
Dec 16, 2009
it is not related to smoking, but if you will allow me to post, i would like to tell people to boycott skyline chili (if you are in the cincinnati area) since it seems that they are against customers who are licensed to carry concealed weapons, as every resaurant of theirs has a no-gun sign.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Boycott Heinz. They has financed the far left secretive Tides Foundation to the tune of more than $4 million over the years. The Tides Foundation is Evil. If you have alot of time on your hands do searches on The Tides Foundation and The Apollo Alliance and read about these two subjects. Their main goal is to bring the U.S. back to the early 1900's in term of energy. They will financially destroy our coal, oil and natural gas industry, putting millions of people out of work.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
My god in heaven....I can't believe what planet some of these companies come from ?? Next they will tell me that I can't wear my blue suede shoes to work...!!!?? Absolutely CRAZY...!!!

Reactions: chopper

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As I'm reading this I'm sitting in the garage (because of the rain) smoking some Kingfisher in one of my Peterson's and in the corner of said garage is 1/2 bag of Scott's Sun And Shade Mix grass seed.

I think i'll go to the local State Farm office tomorrow, light up and dump the grass seed in their flower beds.

Should be a fun afternoon.

Where the heck is the ACLU on this? They can't wait to jump on a manger in a city park during Christmas but the jackbooting of one's civil right to smoke is not on their radar screen.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
WOW, I find the State Farm one kinda funny since I go and have a smoke with my agent every time I visit him. Next time I am there I will have to ask him about it and listen to him go off. With that said I will no longer buy Scott's Lawn care products for my buisness.
Jason,

The ACLU couldn't give a rat's arse about smoking, unless the minorities own all the tobacco companies.
Wade

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I already boycott Heinz but for completely different reasons. Never have put myself in Ed Reimer's Good Hands and please DON"T get me started on the ACLU.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Another forum I'm on just had a large topic on getting everyone to boycott WalMart...talk about a company who treats employees like sh!t, you should hear that guys story.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The Marriott Smoke-free Hotel Policy . http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=smokefree . Lucky for me I bring my own ashtray and watch for smoke detectors in the hall way .And you have to love the if you want to sleep on dirty sheets place this card on the bed . Line 5 is classic . When my daughter was 4 she filled out a survey card for a Marriott Courtyard in San Jose CA stating the room did not meet her standards in crayola .

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
When my daughter was 4 she filled out a survey card for a Marriott Courtyard in San Jose CA stating the room did not meet her standards in crayola .
That's good stuff!
I wonder how much this has to do with Marriott's policy:
"There is a significant room recovery fee for guests who do not comply in order to cover the extensive cost of restoring guest rooms to a smoke-free condition."
Makes me wonder if Marriott would be happy to pay a significant fee for each incidence of illegal labor practices without passing it on to customers. Are they as thorough with making sure employees are legit as they are with training them to be snitches?
The most ridiculous sentence from their website?...
"The continuing efforts of these properties to comply with the smoke-free policy reinforces Marriott’s commitment to being an environmentally friendly company."
WTF?

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I've boycotted TARGET stores for years. They made a big "to do" in the newspaper when they took all tobacco/smoking articles off their shelves chain-wide, several years ago.
They ain't my mama. So, to hell with them.
Jimbo

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I was with a friend the other day at the Hospital.He dropped a pack of cigarettes on the floor and before he could grab them up,a prim and proper lady just about fainted with the horror of seeing them.
Next time I will drop a corncob pipe to see if we get the same reaction.She looked like she was better then anyone else.Good thing someone out there is perfect.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Cornell & Diehl: Yeah, I know, many of you think these guys are great and they do advertise here... When I owned a shop I had 5 lb. bags of their stuff go mouldy within a month and they would not replace it. Never happened with any other blend. I ate the loss stoically and continued to sell their products... for a while. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I discussed with them the creation of a custom blend for my store and they promptly called my main competator and told them all about it and even give them the proposed recipe. I happened to have a good friend who frequented that other shop too and he told me what had happened. I dropped their products.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I find that hard to believe about Craig myself, they have always been straight up in how they do business. The do not however use preservatives in their tobaccos, just distilled water so they could be more prone to mold. I would think that a call to Craig himself would have resolved any issues though.
It would seem we are going to be boycotting more and more companies in the next few years as the antis have gotton to many of them.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
what about chocolate, ever see the film , the dark side of chocolate, the plantions all use child labor. look it up on the net.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
The blame for push for tobacco free workplaces needs to be placed on the insurance companies who cover those businesses. That is where it comes from. Too many employees who smoke and they raise the companies rates for policies. So it's no longer based on how many employees you have so much as it is on how healthy they are when you first take on the new Group coverage.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I'd say that's horrible practice but from the eyes of a businessman, and an insurance agent -- if you charge equally regardless the person's likliness to become ill, then you won't have enough money to cover everyone who needs it.
What gets me ifs when things like say being a smoker completely disqualify you. Or if I were to die a violent death mental illness would be called a dis-qualifier to my life insurance. Which is actually one of the reasons I dropped my life insurance (another dis-qualifier was self-inflicted causes, and I have every intention of living long enough for tobacco to kill me heh heh)
A bit off-topic, but isn't diagnosing a kid in puberty w/ depression a bit redundant?

Status
Not open for further replies.