PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If a pipe with a chamber of 'average' size takes one folded flake, then you could have ~10-11 smokes out of one 50-gram tin, methinks. That'd be ~5.5 smokes out of one ounce.

MB_Navy_Flake_flake.jpg

Reactions: Pierre1965

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Eleven bowls per ounce for me. I tracked a couple 100g tins of a broken Virginia flake a couple years ago. First tin took 42 bowls, next one took 44 which is a bit under the 2.5g/bowl I use for my calculations.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I had times when I smoked only one blend (Elizabethan Mixture) in a group 4 Dunhill 4103. I‘ve once counted the bowls I got out of a 50g tin. I don’t remember exactly, but it was between 25 and 28, packed very loose, though.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Kind of like asking how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie center of a Tootsi Pop. I know this, the one slow smoke contest I participated in they gave me 3.3 grams of tobacco. My pipe was only able to hold about 3/4 of it. And, I had one of my larger pipes with me since you could still smoke indoors. Most of my pipes these days are @ 1 1/2 inch deep and 3/4 inch dia chamber. I believe the last time I checked, they held 1.6 grams of normally dry mixture.

Mike S.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Most people are referencing an attempt at pipe size standardization by Dunhill: Dunhill Shape Chart

The odd part is it appears to be about the overall size of the pipe and has nothing to do with the chamber size which pretty much makes it useless.
To be even more confusing it’s not about the finished size either, but the size of the piece of briar they started with.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
My experience, using a combination of medium to large pipes:

8-10 bowls per ounce on average for non-flake cuts of tobacco.

5-6 bowls per ounce for flakes - using approximately 1 to 1.5 flakes per bowl

Reactions: Pierre1965
Status
Not open for further replies.