PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I often find the bottom when im smoking a meer. Its usually unintentional, and its over before I want it to be. I never try to though, and usually once I hit the bottom third I never fret about dumping the rest of the bowl.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I find I am experiencing this dilemma at the moment. I am getting good enough to smoke to the bottom of the bowl but not finding it all that rewarding. However because the cost of the pipe tobacco is so high here it puts pressure on you to smoke the whole bowl to the bottom. Hence why I am having a smoke free day after yesterday’s efforts. My tongue needs a day off. LOL.

donperique

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
For me, the question is: Are there certain tobaccos that can naturally be smoked easliy up to the bottom - or is it generally a matter of HOW you smoke a pipe ?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Some tobaccos are easier to handle. I guess some of your american OTC's are like that. I find any ribbon cut, sufficiently dried out are easily smoked all the way down if I mind my packing and cadence. Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture, Dunhill Royal Yacht, Mac Baren Acadian Perique, Dunhill Nightcap, Rattray's Red Rapparee are all easy to pack and puff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me, the question is: Are there certain tobaccos that can naturally be smoked easliy up to the bottom - or is it generally a matter of HOW you smoke a pipe ?
Ones that don't produce goop, and are dried before loading.
I find any ribbon cut, sufficiently dried out are easily smoked all the way down if I mind my packing and cadence. Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture, Dunhill Royal Yacht, Mac Baren Acadian Perique, Dunhill Nightcap, Rattray's Red Rapparee are all easy to pack and puff.
Bingo! Ribbon, shag, rubbed then dried flake, all can be dried down to the level where you'll taste more, and smoke more of it pleasantly, often to the heel.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Pipe smoking is a pleasure, not a stunt.
^^^^ Quote of the year right there.
Boom. Times 10.
BTW, charf, you could always just do a Holmes -- empty the wet stuff out, let it dry, & ultimately consolidate & get another whole bowl.
Bill

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks Bill. Will bear that in mind. The more you learn, the more there is to learn...

At first you think, ahh to be good I have to smoke it to the bottom. Then when youvcan actually do that, it’s ahh maybe that’s not the best for every smoke.
More practice required!

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
What are your criterias to finish smoking a pipe - except time aspects?
I like short smokes. That doesn't mean I like to smoke quickly.
Put simply I finish when I've had enough, and that usually means dumping a good portion of untouched tobacco from my pipe.
I suppose when I get the hang of this lark I'll learn to fill my bowl with the right amount of backy.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
The more you learn, the more there is to learn.
Brother, you said a mouthful. :) Myself, I don't do it, since I'm just not usually where it's convenient to save dottles, but the benefit of it for you guys is that as expensive as your leaf is up there, it allows you to get a "free" bowl of at least *some*thing after a certain length of time. God only knows what it may *be*, like tobacco barn sweepings, but at least it means that dearly paid for stuff is going to get used up & not wasted! :)
B

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+1 for SableBrush, very true I have done this road more than once,its very easy to get pipe overheating during the final parts of the bowl,because of this I have had several estate pipes which were five minutes away from getting chamber walls burn outs and as a result I had to go thorough all this chamber cleaning (sanding)and precarbonation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.