Bowl size: maximum ⌀ 0.70″. Recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not questioning your preferences by any means, but what is driving the .70? Just curious about your perspective and not looking to start anything about what your preferences "should" be.

Reactions: NomadOrb

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
Simple answer: I just like how it smokes with virginia flakes.

Longer answer: There are several reasons. I already have enough pipes with larger chamber, and even if I love to sit all day sipping on a flake, a smaller chamber is sometimes what I prefer. But more essentially, it has to do with my preference for the mechanics of smoking flakes (fold & stuff) with a smaller diameter. I find that there is a significant difference that happends in just one or two milimeters below Ø 20 mm. That is just my own personal experience, but I find the pipe easy to pack, I like the control it gives me over the ember, making it easy to light, have an even burn, sip gently etc. All together, it makes for a better smoke, IMO. If you have smoked fold and stuff in a pipe Ø 20 mm or more, you will probably notice how the tobacco burns well in the middle, but not always at the edges; you might end up having to use your pipe tool to kind of break off the flake from the edge to get a more even burn, but I think just a few milimeters smaller makes a difference. There is also taste, which is of course a very subjective thing, but I sometimes think flakes tend to smoke sweeter in a less wide bowl, but yeah, different factors at work here, there is also deapth (allowing the sugars to caramelize as the bowl progresses).