Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a few of you hit upon it, but I also find that the ratio is more important than just the numbers of bowl size being larger numbers. For example... I find my Piumas at about .5" x 1" deep to smoke for about as long as m .8" x 1.7" deep pipes. The Piumas hold about half the tobacco, but the ratios of half as wide as deep all seem to smoke for about the same length of time.

I also find that my tall conical chambered pipes tend to smoke for longer than my more U-shaped chambers... I am not sure why that happens.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
^The point @cosmicfolklore makes is true for me too. My guess is that when the tobacco swells in a conical chamber it packs itself tighter as you go. Perhaps condensation focuses differently as well since there's less surface area. Most of my Bulldog/Rhodesian pipes are much more severely internally tapered than my Dublins and I don't see that mentioned often.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
^The point @cosmicfolklore makes is true for me too. My guess is that when the tobacco swells in a conical chamber it packs itself tighter as you go. Perhaps condensation focuses differently as well since there's less surface area. Most of my Bulldog/Rhodesian pipes are much more severely internally tapered than my Dublins and I don't see that mentioned often.
it is so true though

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
I don't have anything as shallow as the second, but that bulldog would likely get me 60-150 minutes depending on the tobacco. Ribbons closer to 60 and dark flakes and plugs 2+ hours.

I've no experience with that pipe brand, so I won't offer any comment except to echo Olkofri's note on the stem and shank fit. It just seems a bit larger a gap than usual. That said, P&C does not individually photograph each pipe so yours may be different.

thanx so you think I shouldn't buy that pipe? is that kind pf stem problematic?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't know that a small gap is uncommon or necessarily a big deal. That one just seems kind of wide. Maybe some of the more experienced folks can chime in? You could also ask P&C (assuming that's the vendor) if that's normal? If it won't effect the smoking qualities, and you're ok with the appearance, then go for it. I like the stem colors, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.