PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

helloo))) Im going to buy my first pipe and have just one question. if say (of course not exactly)
for example what time can I smoke pipe with bowl depth 1.2"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rushx9

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The depth alone is not sufficient information to answer your question. There is a considerable difference between the smoking time of a 1.2" bowl depth with a diameter of an inch versus 1.2" bowl depth with two inches in diameter, for example. And of course, if time is your main concern, besides bowl diameter your bacy cut is also a determinant factor - shag burns faster, than for say flake. You get the idea ... My advice to you, if I may, buy yourself a corn cob, not too large, not too small, and give a ribbon cut a try. If you find out that you like larger bowls in contrast to what you have, you can give it a try, or on the contrary, if time does not allow you for a medium sized bowl go smaller, but at least you don't spend a fortune on the pipe should it not be to your liking. The ribbon, in my opinion is a fair cut, it packs easily and should have a an even burn. Basket pipes may be another place to start. But then again if you have enough money to put into this your area of possibilities enlarges. That's keeping it as simple as I can possibly think of for starters.

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
The depth alone is not sufficient information to answer your question. There is a considerable difference between the smoking time of a 1.2" bowl depth with a diameter of an inch versus 1.2" bowl depth with two inches in diameter, for example. And of course, if time is your main concern, besides bowl diameter your bacy cut is also a determinant factor - shag burns faster, than for say flake. You get the idea ... My advice to you, if I may, buy yourself a corn cob, not too large, not too small, and give a ribbon cut a try. If you find out that you like larger bowls in contrast to what you have, you can give it a try, or on the contrary, if time does not allow you for a medium sized bowl go smaller, but at least you don't spend a fortune on the pipe should it not be to your liking. The ribbon, in my opinion is a fair cut, it packs easily and should have a an even burn. Basket pipes may be another place to start. But then again if you have enough money to put into this your area of possibilities enlarges. That's keeping it as simple as I can possibly think of for starters.
thanks a lot If I Show you screan of that pipes? Ive beel looking them for a long time and got favorite 2

Reactions: madox07

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
I like these two. but honestly I dont know they are middlr sized or small bowls
20200204_154740.jpg20200204_154655.jpg

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
There are still LOTS of variables that could affect your smoking time, but I'd say that pipe has fairly average, if not a bit shallow, dimensions. So just giving an educated guess based on my time with similar shaped pipes, around 30-45 minutes. Of course, if you want a quicker smoke you could pack less, choose a finer cut tobacco, or dry the tobacco out more. If you want a longer smoke you could load it to the brim with a damp Sam Gawith Flake and easily get an hour and a half out of it!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I was talking about the pipe on the bottom with a depth of 1.2. The one with a depth of 1.6 might get you closer to the 45-60 minute mark. Depending on the other variables, of course. My experience is that, although counterintuitive, wider bowls often smoke faster because of airflow dynamics.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
As has been said, the amount of time you'll get from a smoke is more dependent on the tobacco and your "skills" than on the depth of the pipe. I will say, however, that I, personally, consider a pipe with a 1.2 inch deep bowl to be on the shallow end of things. I always look for pipes that have a depth greater than 1.5 inches and less than 2.0 inches.

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
thank you a lot for that great information.
at the end I would ask-would you recommend "baraccini caffè con panna"? I wanted to start with it. (plus I am going to buy one corn cob too for relaxing that barracinni :) )
I will learn everything about tobacoos step by step. but for the beginning I wanted nice pipe with 30-40 min. smoke time abbility.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
thank you a lot for that great information.
at the end I would ask-would you recommend "baraccini caffè con panna"? I wanted to start with it. (plus I am going to buy one corn cob too for relaxing that barracinni :) )
I will learn everything about tobacoos step by step. but for the beginning I wanted nice pipe with 30-40 min. smoke time abbility.
Those are both nice looking pipes with cool looking stems. I'd say if one fits your style, go for it!

Reactions: huston

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've no experience with that brand. It bothers me that, at least in the photo, the con Panna bulldog doesn't have a good fit between stem and stummel: you can clearly see a gap between them. To me, that would be a deal breaker. Also, the con Panna lists the same dimensions (1.6") for the bowl height and the bowl chamber both (!!). That's incorrect: the depth cannot be larger or equal than the height.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
that chamber size will take me about 45 min. but like everyone said, it depends. how dry the tobacco is, how you pack the tobacco, what kind of cut was used on the tobacco, how your technique is, your cadence.. everyone's different.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
thank you very much. i think I will buy it today. and I want to try to buy 2 or three different tobacoos to understand which one is mine :)

Go ahead and buy it ... there are so many dimensions of the pipe, that I bet that this won't be your last pipe if the bug catches on. At the end of the day, I agree with most of the people's above opinions, but for you to truly understand I suppose you will have to experiment on your own, and find out what works best for you.

Reactions: rushx9 and huston

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
Go ahead and buy it ... there are so many dimensions of the pipe, that I bet that this won't be your last pipe if the bug catches on. At the end of the day, I agree with most of the people's above opinions, but for you to truly understand I suppose you will have to experiment on your own, and find out what works best for you.
yes i agree with you but first I wanted opinions from you like experianced people. I have been looking for pipes for a long time and still cant choose which one is better for 60-80$ but I allreaddy know that it will not be my first pipe ?

Reactions: rushx9

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't have anything as shallow as the second, but that bulldog would likely get me 60-150 minutes depending on the tobacco. Ribbons closer to 60 and dark flakes and plugs 2+ hours.

I've no experience with that pipe brand, so I won't offer any comment except to echo Olkofri's note on the stem and shank fit. It just seems a bit larger a gap than usual. That said, P&C does not individually photograph each pipe so yours may be different.

Reactions: huston and rushx9
I never understood how anyone could make a medium size bowl smoke for an hour until I began smoking Virginias. Some seem to smoke forever, while English blends disappear in no time.
I know, whenever I break out a blend with latakia in the winter, it seems to just last a day or two, and I end up doubling how many pipes I smoke in a day. They just burn so damned fast.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find that bowl size effects length of a smoke but not as dramatically as one would imagine. That might be because the smaller the bowl the tighter I pack and in deeper wider bowls I pack a lot more loosely. My Tsuge is tiny a really nosewarmer and I cram the tobacco in, still smokes great. In my Lumberman I kind of let gravity do all of the packing. I get similar draws and ease of smoking from both pipes. The point is if the Lumberman smoked as slowly as the Tsuge it would be roughly a three hour smoke on average and it's more 45 minutes to two hours under ideal conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.