PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve been absolutely smoking the shit out of this pipe, rotating between the 3 bowls constantly and just the occasional pipe cleaner and swabbing the humidome with a folded cleaner.

It’s amazing how easy it is to smoke and how fiddly it isn’t. These pipes are really amazing and I’m only sorry I didn’t try one earlier.

Still love my briars but Falcons can play a serious role in your rotation if you’re interested.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Bought a Falcon. It always begs the question 'why?'. If your idea of a pipe is a length of break line connected to a hollowed out wooden door nob and a casing made of recycled Colt 45 malt liquor tins then more power to you! rotf

Have you ever seen the guys in the UK who smoke these things. They go on holiday to Blackpool and wear socks with open toed sandals. Possibly collect cheese labels or are closet train spotters and smoke Clan. Need I say anything more!

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Bought a Falcon. It always begs the question 'why?'. If your idea of a pipe is a length of break line connected to a hollowed out wooden door nob and a casing made of recycled Colt 45 malt liquor tins then more power to you! rotf

Have you ever seen the guys in the UK who smoke these things. They go on holiday to Blackpool and wear socks with open toed sandals. Possibly collect cheese labels or are closet train spotters and smoke Clan. Need I say anything more!

"Have you ever seen the guys in the UK who smoke these things."
Many times. Starting with my pipe mentor who was the chief anesthetist at Broad Green Hospital, Liverpool.

" They go on holiday to Blackpool...."
They may have before the Suez crisis, but are more likely to appear now in Majorca, sunburned and looking like boiled hams. And what's wrong with Blackpool or any Brit seaside resort? Think of Skegness!
Image result for skegness is so bracing

Or maybe there's a reason why Brits now flock to Spain...

"wear socks with open toed sandals...."

I have never seen these in the UK. Perhaps they are sported by some, but surely their toes are frozen blue.

"Possibly collect cheese labels..."

I don't collect such things, but I do have an ancient one that I just pulled off my bookshelves to show you.

Appealing awful artwork, wot?

"smoke Clan"

Now that blend is truly a crime against humanity. I smoked it once as a teenager and my mouth still hurts. But I do not associate it with falcon fans who, in my experience, are more likely to to puff on St Bruno or Condor.

Love 'em or hate 'em, falcon pipes are the classic Brit working man's pipe.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Lol, still love mine and it’s sitting on my smoking table right now beside two vintage Dunhills. All got used this week and my new tin of St Bruno is getting depleted at an alarming rate. Life is good!

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Been looking at them for quite some time and decided to pull the trigger. Ordered from GQ Tobaccos in England and it arrived fairly quickly and the price was cheap as chips even including two extra bowls.

So... is it any good? Yes. Unreservedly yes. Absolutely. Love this pipe.

At first I wasn't keen on the looks, but it has a certain period charm that I've seen in countless 60s & 70s films and TV shows and frankly, at this point, it's starting to be a classic in my opinion. Always been a briar guy, but this metal pipe thing had me curious so I decided to try it. Glad I did.

Smokes easily and with no fuss. Dry, cool and simple. Lightweight and easy to clench. Load up the bowls and smoke as many as you like, the pipe doesn't care. Cleaning is dead simple.

One concern was metallic or flat taste, which I have read about in various posts and reviews. Didn't notice it myself. Each bowl is better as the briar seasons up a bit. The stem seems neutral to my palate. I also recently got a Wiebe and it certainly does have a metallic flat taste - it's getting better but I'm not sure it will go away completely. Not a hint of it with the Falcon. Might just be my palate, because others have found it to be metallic tasting but so far I have not.

I might order additional bowls or maybe even another stem. Really digging this pipe and I am even becoming a fan of the funky look, since as I said above, it's getting long enough in the tooth to start being a classic of a certain age.

If you have any interest in these pipes, you might want to check them out. They're worth it.
This takes a load off my mind. I'm waiting on a boxed set from Amazon that should be arriving this week. I had some trepidation prior to ordering, but I've been wondering about Falcon pipes for years and knew that I would continue to do so until I scratched the itch. Keep us updated!

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai

images (2).jpeg

I don't think he holidayed in Blackpool :)

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Finally bought a Falcon, straight with brown aluminum shank, on sale from Iwan Ries. They even cut me two pipe cleaner moisture rings and sent them along. So far, I find it especially good for Mixture No. 79, a fine pairing. I like the brown shank, not so much like plumbing fixtures. Light weight, good smoking, quite pleasing.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I thought about a Falcon when I was member on a British forum but couldn't get myself to get one because they are butt-ugly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have to say I have been smoking my falcon alot more regularly since I got the international stem. It's a lot more comfortable and it's not quite as cooling as the regular but it also seems to have more flavor and be more comfortable to smoke because it's light weight.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Ahhh, from the title I thought you were talking about one of these, I was going to congratulate you on your purchase!!! But it's not, so I won't...I'm sure it's a nice pipe though, you should show us a picture of it.

481861-970x644.jpg

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I smoke my Falcons more compared to my briars for various reasons. I find they perform every bit as well than my briars, are easier to maintain but most of all I can knock them about without worrying about it.
Every pipe smoker should have one.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Still loving mine. I have found that I prefer the standard and bantam sized bowls over the larger hyperbole ones. Just more convenient I guess.

I’d definitely cruise a vintage Ford Falcon! Nice looking car.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.