Bought a Baki Meerschaum -- Shank Band Issue?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
So I just bought a Baki meerschaum after eyeing them for quite some time. Of course, right after I paid, I zoomed in closer to the image and the area that the shank band connects with the meer seems a bit off. It looks kinda grey/patchy. Do you guys think that's anything of concern?

Screenshot_13.png
Screenshot_10.png

Compared to another example of one with a shank band.

Screenshot_1.png

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I just bought a Baki meerschaum after eyeing them for quite some time. Of course, right after I paid, I zoomed in closer to the image and the area that the shank band connects with the meer seems a bit off. It looks kinda grey/patchy. Do you guys think that's anything of concern?

View attachment 51876
View attachment 51875

Compared to another example of one with a shank band.

View attachment 51877
I wouldn’t be concerned. Hard to tell from the pic exactly what it is. Could even be reflection from the edge of the band.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
Thanks for the replies guys; the seller got back to me surprisingly fast (versus 10 day when I first messaged him) saying that it's just wax that had collected near the band.

Baki looks like the band to shank is off. 2nd one looks like band to stem is off...

Off how?

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
Sure thing, it's a seller on Aliexpress:

Others seem to have received their orders without issue. When I initially ordered, the pipe I wanted was already sold to a domestic buyer, but the seller hadn't updated the site. He says all the stock should be current now.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, would not expect a bad pipe from Fikri Baki. But good for you asking, him and here, just in case.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I already messaged the OP, but since he or she hasn't been active in quite a while I'm resurrecting this old thread in the hopes of answering a question. A few days ago I ordered a Baki only to stumble across this post and realize I ordered exactly the same pipe. Same pictures, same item number, same vendor, everything. I'm hoping someone might know if @jei64822 actually received the pipe in question, or have any insights as to whether or not TuWun Meerschaum Store reuses old pictures for similar pipes. Their pipe listings claim they don't, but here's a post from 2 years ago showing someone ordered the exact pipe I just laid out close to $400 for. It's a shot in the dark but I figured I'd ask.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Baki looks like the band to shank is off. 2nd one looks like band to stem is off...
Sometimes images can look off more than they are.

But, for OP: Had those been smoked when the original photos were taken? Can you cap the bowl with your hand, blow through the stem, and is there any leakage at the band?