Bought a Baki Meerschaum -- Shank Band Issue?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jei64822

Nov 13, 2020
So I just bought a Baki meerschaum after eyeing them for quite some time. Of course, right after I paid, I zoomed in closer to the image and the area that the shank band connects with the meer seems a bit off. It looks kinda grey/patchy. Do you guys think that's anything of concern?

Screenshot_13.png
Screenshot_10.png

Compared to another example of one with a shank band.

Screenshot_1.png

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Baki looks like the band to shank is off. 2nd one looks like band to stem is off...

BROBS

Preferred Member
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I just bought a Baki meerschaum after eyeing them for quite some time. Of course, right after I paid, I zoomed in closer to the image and the area that the shank band connects with the meer seems a bit off. It looks kinda grey/patchy. Do you guys think that's anything of concern?

View attachment 51876
View attachment 51875

Compared to another example of one with a shank band.

View attachment 51877
I wouldn’t be concerned. Hard to tell from the pic exactly what it is. Could even be reflection from the edge of the band.

jei64822

Nov 13, 2020
Thanks for the replies guys; the seller got back to me surprisingly fast (versus 10 day when I first messaged him) saying that it's just wax that had collected near the band.

Baki looks like the band to shank is off. 2nd one looks like band to stem is off...

Off how?

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys; the seller got back to me surprisingly fast (versus 10 day when I first messaged him) saying that it's just wax that had collected near the band.

Off how?
Not in alignment... Transition is offset...

jei64822

Nov 13, 2020
Sure thing, it's a seller on Aliexpress:

Others seem to have received their orders without issue. When I initially ordered, the pipe I wanted was already sold to a domestic buyer, but the seller hadn't updated the site. He says all the stock should be current now.