PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Welcome aboard!

FYI I have found some spectacular decent deals on older pipes on eBay, some excellent quality, even some near mint condition pipes often under $20 shipped if you're the patient type. Of course these are not petersons or savinellis, maybe medico, kaywoodie, and lots of seconds. Some of my favorite pipes were also some of the cheapest ones.

One of the first few I bought new, and paid a bit for, were surprisingly poor fit and finish compared to some of these older ones. Strange. There is also something about that old briar that is different, can't really explain it, might be the age itself helps the briar, might be that the briar from back then was older when harvested compared to modern harvesting, not sure exactly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

garywlee

Lurker
Dec 5, 2020
Woodbridge, VA
Welcome from Northern Virginia!

Yeah that and taxes is what drove me back to pipes and picking up RYO. Love the stuff one can do with their own tobacco.

Cheers

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
Welcome! A pipe I enjoyed when I first started was a falcon. Meerschaum or even a corn cob. I wish I had been a bit more prudent when I first started. I know my tastes in tobacco and pipes have changed quite a bit since I first started. Good luck and you found the right place to be!

Reactions: Toast

Kentigern

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
Calgary, AB
Thanks for all the messages, advice and links.what an interesting start on this hobby journey. I plumped for a new Lorenzetti #23, because I loved the shape and rich russet colours. Plus it was half price...so that’s a win. In tobaccos, I have tried many...Amphora English was difficult to understand but perseverance paid off. Not a favourite, but definitely worth having a little for the change and challenge. MB Scottish was not for me. 1-Q or RLP-6 is definitely good to have around when I want “desert”. I surprised myself with 7 Seas Royal and just took delivery of a pouch of SWR. Now THOSE are definitely keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.