Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentigern

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
Calgary, AB
HI all,
I'm new to this site (and relatively new to pipe smoking). After smoking cigarettes for years, I got bored of the taste of paper. I have been following conversations here and have a couple of preferred tobacco's and pipe shapes. I am currently a fan of 1Q, David's Executive Blend, 7 Seas Regular, a little English Blend (if I'm feeling in the mood/brave). I bought a terrible pipe on Amazon (which turned out to have flaws in the stummel and also the airflow is dreadful. I ended up getting it for free...so can't comlain. My outlaws also bought me some pipes in an estate sale (pretty much all Medico). I really like the apple and billiard and was surprised NOT to like the Bulldog (which I thought I would). I also have a half bent(?) apple that I particularly enjoy. I'm looking to step up and shell out about $100 for something remotely decent, new (that I can ease in myself) and probably another half bent or bent apple. I've seen Lorenzetti #23 that I like the look of and I have also seen a Chacom Salon #121 that I would love to source here in Calgary. Savinelli seems to be a relatively popular brand (but I'm not sure about the Italian-ness of them). I hanker after a Peterson (but that might be a little further down the road of my pipe smoking journey). Any thoughts/advice would be very greatly appreciated.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Welcome to the pipe community! I've had good experiences with Peterson, Chacom, and Savinelli at the sub $100 mark. Genod and Ropp are also good briar for the cost...all relative to your preferences.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
HI all,
I'm new to this site (and relatively new to pipe smoking). After smoking cigarettes for years, I got bored of the taste of paper. I have been following conversations here and have a couple of preferred tobacco's and pipe shapes. I am currently a fan of 1Q, David's Executive Blend, 7 Seas Regular, a little English Blend (if I'm feeling in the mood/brave). I bought a terrible pipe on Amazon (which turned out to have flaws in the stummel and also the airflow is dreadful. I ended up getting it for free...so can't comlain. My outlaws also bought me some pipes in an estate sale (pretty much all Medico). I really like the apple and billiard and was surprised NOT to like the Bulldog (which I thought I would). I also have a half bent(?) apple that I particularly enjoy. I'm looking to step up and shell out about $100 for something remotely decent, new (that I can ease in myself) and probably another half bent or bent apple. I've seen Lorenzetti #23 that I like the look of and I have also seen a Chacom Salon #121 that I would love to source here in Calgary. Savinelli seems to be a relatively popular brand (but I'm not sure about the Italian-ness of them). I hanker after a Peterson (but that might be a little further down the road of my pipe smoking journey). Any thoughts/advice would be very greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the sight, Kentigern.

I hope that the other members are able to answer questions that you have.

My thought is that you are approaching this the right way by easing into the pipe. No need at this time to spend a good amount to only discover that it truly was not for you. I might suggest looking at some of the better, well-established sellers on eBay. Many of those sellers have examined the used pipe for defects, and have professionally cleaned, and restored the pipe.

You may find, also, that there are members who would like to sell from their collection.

I am glad that you are trying something other than aromatics as your first experimentations in pipe tobacco. Many try aromatics thinking that they are going to get that cherry/vanilla/whatever taste, and wind-up disappointed.

Enjoy the journey.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any of the major brands, bought new, are likely to do a good job for you. Estate/used pipes of major brands are good, but always present the question of wear. Over the years, I have bought new Peterson pipes on sale in the forty to sixty dollar range. Stanwell, Nording, Savinelli, Chacom, BC, Ropp, Genod, Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Johs, and a number of other solid brands will usually serve you well.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Welcome Kentigern. If you are putting cigarettes in your pipe that would explain the paper flavor.

But, in all seriousness, the range of experiences from pipe tobacco is a little bit like that from craft beer - there are few boundaries and the fun is in trying new stuff... (imo)

Reactions: Trainpipeman

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Dude, you want to buy a nice pipe in the $100.00 Canadian range? I have just the place for you and I attest to this man's ability to produce a magnificent smoking utensil. Check out his prices, the poor bastid is giving them away. It must be tough times all over, and i hate to see Chris give it away, but I can assure you you won't go wrong.
Christopher Pipes

Reactions: canucklehead
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Welcome from southern Illinois. There are many good smoking pipes under $100. As MSO mentioned I smoke Dr Grabows. they are under $50 and I have had very good luck with and if something happens to them you are not out a ton of cash

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I've seen Lorenzetti #23 that I like the look of and I have also seen a Chacom Salon #121 that I would love to source here in Calgary.
Welcome to the forum. You should give Burlington in Edmonton a call or visit in regards to Chacom. Pretty sure they would gladly get you anything you wanted if they didn't already have it.

Reactions: canucklehead

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Hello and welcome, if you are looking for suggestions on how to spend all your money on pipes and tobacco, you've come to the right place.

There are several of us on here that are also from Alberta, I live just south of Edmonton. If you still have any old Medico bulldogs that you don't like, I would be happy to buy and/or trade for them.??

Kentigern

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
Calgary, AB
Hello and welcome, if you are looking for suggestions on how to spend all your money on pipes and tobacco, you've come to the right place.

There are several of us on here that are also from Alberta, I live just south of Edmonton. If you still have any old Medico bulldogs that you don't like, I would be happy to buy and/or trade for them.??
I would seriously consider that. As I mentioned, I am rather partial to a half bent apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.