Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
When I was in Korea there was a shop in Seoul selling pipe tobacco called 'Lighter Time' .

I bought a load of tins, some were fine but others were mouldy and horrible I had to throw it away. Theres ageing tobacco and then theres just plain rotten.

P.s. I love kimchi :D
I was talking with a Korean guy about pipes & the difficulties of buying tobacco and pipes here. He’d mentioned Seoul had “a” tobacconist, which I’d expect, Seoul being the capital city. However, I live way down south, on Geoje island, so it’s not a trip I’d be doing every weekend, right?
Actually, when I first started pipe smoking I found two stores on the island, both professed to selling pipes & pipe tobacco. Unfortunately, the cans of tobacco I did buy turned out to be the same condition as the stuff you experienced from Seoul.
I try to smoke my pipe as often as I can in public, trying to promote our hobby and passion. Unfortunately Korean lifestyle is rush-rush-rush, everybody wants the newest and up to date thing. I guess pipe smoking doesn’t fall into that category, thankfully!
Anyway, having said that, I do attract some curiosity and fascination from the locals, one should also understand that the Koreans are extremely conservative, until they get to know you. So wandering up to a round-eye waigook (spelling) isn’t the norm. But those who do take “courage”, I’m all over it. I love talking about our pipes and tobacco.
Bit of a ramble there, hope you didn’t get too bored!
HAGW!

Reactions: Nicolasylvain
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Sounds dystopian

Three things from France would have you begging to be anglophone again.

More tax, more bureaucracy and more grammar.
Holidays.
The French have more time off than working! Which I can’t fault if I’m honest.
I work in the shop construction industry and have many French colleagues.
One of whom I introduced to the pipe. He loves me!

Reactions: Nicolasylvain

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
Salut! Do you happen to have an Anis Bouchnak pipe ? I read he is Tunisia's only briar pipe maker.
I have two of his pipes. He’s a super nice guy. If you ever visit, he would be glad to show you around his workshop in Tabarka. He’s a third generation pipe maker, working from his grandfather’s workshop, and making pipes from briar that his grandfather harvested.

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
I have two of his pipes. He’s a super nice guy. If you ever visit, he would be glad to show you around his workshop in Tabarka. He’s a third generation pipe maker, working from his grandfather’s workshop, and making pipes from briar that his grandfather harvested.

Thats great. How much do his pipes go for generally?

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
I’m traveling now, but when I get home, I’ll share some better pictures of my two pipes. Maybe do a little write up on a different thread introducing everyone to Tunisia’s only pipemaker.

I look forward to that ! :)

These artisans don't get the recognition they deserve.