PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I have three bones, and two are great smokers, but the third has a very tight draw. I purchased them for aromatics and to try out some blends every once in a while. They're pretty durable.

The stubby 20 is fantastic.
Awesome, I am looking forward to it. The tight draw can be easily fixed, either in the stem or in the shank.

Read here for an option..

Reactions: BROBS and NomadOrb

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I had a Bones that I really wanted to like, but I had to drill it out to get any semblance of a decent draw, and kept getting plastic in my mouth from pieces in the inside of the stem that hadn't been cleaned out, but also did not readily remove themselves with a pipe cleaner. I got tired of it quickly and sold it at a loss. I'd go with the entry level Savinelli briars over these. To me they feel like they aren't quite in the same ballpark as the decent entry level stuff, but also overpriced in comparison to a cob.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'd go with the entry level Savinelli briars over these. To me they feel like they aren't quite in the same ballpark as the decent entry level stuff, but also overpriced in comparison to a cob.

I'd go with many pipes over these, personally. They look like an unfinished rough that was sandblasted.
you can get a scott's burner for $25 from tobaccopipes.com in the same quality range.

you can get all sorts of great pipes that are unsmoked for $40 or even less.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I'd go with many pipes over these, personally. They look like an unfinished rough that was sandblasted.
you can get a scott's burner for $25 from tobaccopipes.com in the same quality range.

you can get all sorts of great pipes that are unsmoked for $40 or even less.
Ah, but they don't have a semi Playboy bunny on themn and the burner pipes I have seen are all straight appels or lovats.

But those are good ideas as well., Thanks

• Haha
Reactions: coyja and BROBS

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Ah, but they don't have a semi Playboy bunny on themn and the burner pipes I have seen are all straight appels or lovats.

But those are good ideas as well., Thanks

I worked on a few Bones pipes for a friend in my pipe club. He complained of a tight draw. Come to find out, the stem bore was significantly smaller than the shank bore. He asked me to make them the same diameter, so I bored out the stem to match the shank bore diameter. He is very satisfied. However, I am not sure that what I did is proper pipe design. Thoughts?

Reactions: SpookedPiper

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I worked on a few Bones pipes for a friend in my pipe club. He complained of a tight draw. Come to find out, the stem bore was significantly smaller than the shank bore. He asked me to make them the same diameter, so I bored out the stem to match the shank bore diameter. He is very satisfied. However, I am not sure that what I did is proper pipe design. Thoughts?
Yeah buddy, we got tools for that!
If it works and they are happy then you did a great job!

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I like natural craggy blast pipes, but I generally like longer, lighter pipes. I bought a stubby bulldog. I had a few questions for him, and he was a little short with me. The pipe has a twisted stem that makes it hang pretty crooked. If I clenched on the right side, it would be fine. it's a solid little pipe. I don't regret buying it, but I won't get another. He ultimately offered a partial refund, but It is still a $40 pipe. He is not making much money selling these for $40.

If you like the look and those stubby chunky pipes, get one. It's got a lot of character. All of those guys hero worshipping these pipes on Reddit are in full-on "group think" mode, which is annoying. It makes me want to not like the pipes out of principle, but that's unfair. It's a solid $40 pipe.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I didn't realize that price was the main consideration when purchasing these pipes. You could get some awesome estate pipes on the bay for 40 bucks. I just purchased A Royal Band Weber Oom Paul, a Butz Choquin D'artagnon and a Sunrise (Comoy 2nd) pipe in a lot for 40 dollars with shipping.

The Weber alone blows any of my bones pipes out of the water. So why do I have 3 of them, and why am I about to buy another? Because they are cool and ugly. I like how they change over time, they fit in your pocket, they are already ugly so it doesn't matter if you get it dirty while fishing, working on a car, painting a house. I think there is a certain freedom that comes with that. I would never do any of that with my new Weber because it's pretty.

I used to skateboard a lot when I was a kid and I got this awesome Almost board that had multi-colored eyes as it's graphic. I begged my mom for it, it was over priced and once I finally go it, I didn't want to mess it up so bad that it ruined my skating experience . I was being too careful to have fun! This is how I always behave when I own something "pretty" regardless of the price.

So I own Bones pipes because they are ugly, but cool and I never worry about beating the crap out of them, or smoking them while I am doing dirty jobs. I often smoke them outside while walking to work on a windy day that could cause a burn out. To me it provides freedom, which is priceless.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I like natural craggy blast pipes, but I generally like longer, lighter pipes. I bought a stubby bulldog. I had a few questions for him, and he was a little short with me. The pipe has a twisted stem that makes it hang pretty crooked. If I clenched on the right side, it would be fine. it's a solid little pipe. I don't regret buying it, but I won't get another. He ultimately offered a partial refund, but It is still a $40 pipe. He is not making much money selling these for $40.

If you like the look and those stubby chunky pipes, get one. It's got a lot of character. All of those guys hero worshipping these pipes on Reddit are in full-on "group think" mode, which is annoying. It makes me want to not like the pipes out of principle, but that's unfair. It's a solid $40 pipe.
I ordered from cup o Joe's, so if it's that bad..I would hope they stand behind what they sell. As I would hope the same from the actual business owner. That's kinda crappy, unless you got one of those gnarly shaped ones at a discounted price.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I didn't realize that price was the main consideration when purchasing these pipes. You could get some awesome estate pipes on the bay for 40 bucks.

My estate ebay experience is 1 in 4 is a great pipe for a great price. The other three pieces of garbage make the one good deal a horrible deal on average.

I won't buy another pipe on ebay, unless I know it is from a pipe smoker and he can tell me how it smokes and what he smoked in it. I have a box full of ebay pipes I wouldn't sell to my worst enemy.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think that's part of my hatred towards them... lol
and cobs.

if you go on reddit all the idiots with these bones pipes and cobs posting pictures of their hobbit books smoking captain black got me all on the defensive.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My estate ebay experience is 1 in 4 is a great pipe for a great price. The other three pieces of garbage make the one good deal a horrible deal on average.

I won't buy another pipe on ebay, unless I know it is from a pipe smoker and he can tell me how it smokes and what he smoked in it. I have a box full of ebay pipes I wouldn't sell to my worst enemy.
You must not be very good at cherry picking.

I've had maybe 1 in 25 estate pipes not work out.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I ordered from cup o Joe's, so if it's that bad..I would hope they stand behind what they sell. As I would hope the same from the actual business owner. That's kinda crappy, unless you got one of those gnarly shaped ones at a discounted price.
I thought $40 was pretty darn cheap to start with. I hoped I could just buy another stem or something. With the work put into these pipes, I can't imagine he's making much money on them.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I thought $40 was pretty darn cheap to start with. I hoped I could just buy another stem or something. With the work put into these pipes, I can't imagine he's making much money on them.
foreign work is cheap. he doesn't make them.

Reactions: jravenwood

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
You must not be very good at cherry picking.

I've had maybe 1 in 25 estate pipes not work out.
It's all about the ghosts. I have a bunch of pipes that look awesome. A bunch smell like captain black himself died and decomposed in there 200 years ago. A silver stanwell blast that I swear is lined with an invisible impenetrable waterproof lining. A few have major scorched walls that just didn't show on any pictures, and a few cracked tenons that were unreturnable. All of the bad ones were not from the reputable pipe sellers. Some were actually new, but hidden defects came after a few smokes. SP would have taken them back, but not random ebay people. A bunch of lessons learned for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.