PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Don’t forget that Boeing was involved in the design of the Titan submersible which ended in tragic failure just a year ago. Of course, they disavow, but who believes that? It just makes too much sense that they are connected.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Starliner, which had been delayed several times before its June 5 liftoff, experienced some thruster issues en route to the ISS in addition to the helium leaks, though NASA says the spacecraft has been "performing well in orbit while docked to the space station."

Good too know it's performing well, while it's docked to the. space station and unmanned. Yup that 78 Pinto with no engine and tire rot is really top notch while it sits out in a field under some trees.

What is crazy is they launched even though they had 2 issues with the helium system, then once they were up it turned into 5 issues, all in the same systems for thrusters, sounds like a major design and manufacturing issue, one is bad, two is oops. but all 5 is another story, Can't believe they launched but when you are almost 5 yrs behind schedule you risk it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Can't believe they launched but when you are almost 5 yrs behind schedule you risk it.

HOW many engineers told the NASA executive-politicians that the rubber seals between the propellant segments of the Challenger's outboard solid boosters would fail if launching below 40 degrees F was attempted? That the system was NOT DESIGNED to perform in cold weather?

And what did the NASA executive-politicians DO ANYWAY?

That's right, killed all aboard and caused one of the most emotionally scarring events of the latter 20th century in America.

WHY? Because there had already been several delays, and the executive-politicians were worried their image might get tarnished and their job might get the squint-eye from Washington politicians if they did not IGNORE what the engineers said.

Tell ya what... If I ever get my magic wand time machine I'm going to locate the Spanish Inquisition's top guy---along with his favorite toys---and introduce those executive-politician NASA fucks to him, one at a time.

Screen Shot 2024-06-24 at 7.47.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jpberg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
HOW many engineers told the NASA executive-politicians that the rubber seals between the propellant segments of the Challenger's outboard solid boosters would fail if launching below 40 degrees F was attempted? That the system was NOT DESIGNED to perform in cold weather?

And what did the NASA executive-politicians DO ANYWAY?

That's right, killed all aboard and caused one of the most emotionally scarring events of the latter 20th century in America.

WHY? Because there had already been several delays, and the executive-politicians were worried their image might get tarnished and their job might get the squint-eye from Washington politicians if they did not IGNORE what the engineers said.

Tell ya what... If I ever get my magic wand time machine I'm going to locate the Spanish Inquisition's top guy---along with his favorite toys---and introduce those executive-politician NASA fucks to him, one at a time.

View attachment 319662
I live 20ish miles from Pad 39A, was at the beach and watched that launch and tragedy. We knew right away that it blew up there was no question, I rode my bike the half mile home from the beach and turned on the tv right away, i remember watching them still saying there was a "malfunction" I turned and looked out the window and the pieces were still streaming down. They set up a hanger in Patrick Air Force Base a couple miles away bring the pieces, there is a super famous picture of a helmet that washed up on the beach, my best friend was the one that found it and notified the "salvage crews" on our beach. It was a sad day, i hate to admit it but by that night there were already Challenger jokes.
The fact that a teacher was on board and the fact the crowds were already growing small to view it were the key factors to launch. Fucking joke.
I've never been in a depressed area before were had a very middle class area, NASA, and the PAFB right here, but then everything shut down, most of the NASA employees were out of work and that killed my town, ever see a Pizza Hut close down in the 80s .. well i have that's how bad it was here for a long long time. We are still celebrating Musk for his part in the latest economic revival.

Reactions: jpberg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Are they using Chinese components? Hiring unskilled border jumpers? What's going on!

Boeing decided a while back that hiring and promoting engineers based on emotional considerations was more important than their ability.

Given that physics and mechanical design give not a single shit about anything except ability, the rest just, well... followed.

People saw it coming and sounded the alarm soon enough to keep the ship off the rocks, but such people were, um... dealt with in ways which assured they would both cease to be a problem themselves and give others pause when it came to sounding the alarm.

Reactions: brian64

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Link below to a piece in the British Guardian newspaper tagged

'Worried about airline safety? Blame diversity say deranged right wingers.

Worried about airline safety? Blame diversity, say deranged rightwingers | Arwa Mahdawi - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/20/airline-safety-rightwing-blames-diversity-dei

The journalist then goes onto state in the article that DEI's being the cause of Boeings problems 'would only be believed by bigoted fools.' She then goes further to express her sadness that 'Alas, America is full of bigoted fools'.

These are her words, not mine.

She does then finish with what people are ignoring , that fact Boeing sought to cut corners, and cut costs for financial advantage. A cosy relationship with politicians and governing bodies where Boeing were allowed to self regulate their work. These are more likely to be the problems, rather than womens feelings.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Worried about airline safety? Blame diversity, say deranged rightwingers | Arwa Mahdawi - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/20/airline-safety-rightwing-blames-diversity-dei

The journalist then goes onto state in the article that DEI's being the cause of Boeings problems 'would only be believed by bigoted fools.' She then goes further to express her sadness that 'Alas, America is full of bigoted fools'.

She does then finish with what people are ignoring , that fact Boeing sought to cut corners, and cut costs for financial advantage. A cosy relationship with politicians and governing bodies where Boeing were allowed to self regulate their work. These are more likely to be the problems, rather than womens feelings.

It's clear (by now) that your mission in life is to "refute" positions by passing on the declarations of others who agree with your emotion-based conclusions, not think for yourself.

Over, and over, and over again.

No, O'Brien, you are holding up four fingers, not five, and no amount of obediently repeating the party line will change reality, as desperately as you might wish that was the case.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
In one of the earlier posts the suggestion was made that Boeing’s issues were related to the pursuit of diversity in hiring, one of the favorite propaganda themes. Propaganda takes outliers and declares them to be core practices. An uncritical audience accepts the propaganda as truth.
In this instance the “truth” is that diversity is the only thing that matters and that nothing else, including competence, is considered. This is illogical nonsense.
But it serves to feed grievances, which is the popular purpose of the day. Do people get advanced because they aren’t vanilla and for no other reason? Sure. Is that the vast majority? No.
People got advanced because they were related to the boss, or were members of the right fraternity, were good in the sack, or a whole host of other reasons having nothing to do with competency without becoming the focus of a propagandistic campaign. Why is that?
I have no issue with diversity as long as it doesn’t supersede competence. Talent is where you find it.
The problem has been doors closed to qualified people who weren’t vanilla.
I experienced that myself when I worked at Disney at the beginning of my “illustrious” career, being referred to, out of earshot as “that damned Jew boy” by some of the upper management. I ignored it and focused on doing a damned good job with the final result that my adversaries became supporters and my chief antagonist apologized to me for the shit he put me through.
I don’t give a tinker’s damn about anyone who joins my team except that they are good at what they do, and know how to play well with others in the sandbox. And if anyone has a problem with that it’s their problem.
You are describing a meritocratic system. DEI and its Marxist underpinnings are about intersectional grievances and righting historical wrongs through demographics and other forms of identity politics. The two systems are mutually exclusive.

DEI = mediocrity

Reactions: jpberg and brian64

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You are describing a meritocratic system. DEI and its Marxist underpinnings are about intersectional grievances and righting historical wrongs through demographics and other forms of identity politics. The two systems are mutually exclusive.

DEI = mediocrity
You are partly right about an attempt to correct historical wrongs, but when you break out the “Marxist” trope, and I assume you don’t mean Groucho, it’s time to break out the butterfly net. Your solution is false.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wonder is Werner Von Brown would have assured the smooth workings on the space capsule? After all he had plenty of practice of firing the things into space and at London!

• Haha
Reactions: OverMountain

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
You are partly right about an attempt to correct historical wrongs, but when you break out the “Marxist” trope, and I assume you don’t mean Groucho, it’s time to break out the butterfly net. Your solution is false.
🤣 Groucho brings a smile to my face. I like you too much to argue this point. Everyone can read about the ideological underpinnings of DEI.

“There is a natural aristocracy among men: talent and virtue” - Thomas Jefferson.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
It's clear (by now) that your mission in life is to "refute" positions by passing on the declarations of others who agree with your emotion-based conclusions, not think for yourself.

Over, and over, and over again.

No, O'Brien, you are holding up four fingers, not five, and no amount of obediently repeating the party line will change reality, as desperately as you might wish that was the case.
Airbus has its own diversity initiatives. It's own web site outlines its mission statements and initiatives to hire people from ethnic minority and underprivilidged backgrounds. Airbus also has defined targets to increase the percentage of female employees and the number of women in the boardroom.

Also, at within their European based operations and their German/Franco labour laws, Airbus has works councils, where staff and management can talk openly about planning and 'their feelings' to promote better collaboration.

Also, Airbus is largely state owned with qualifying employees given the right to purchase shares and have board representation.

European labour laws are more weighted in favour of the employee. Better holiday entitlement, statutory sick pay, maternity leave, rigidity of contract and rights in relationship to contract terms and grievances, making it harder to sack someone that isn't very good at their job.

This all sound woke, inclusive and a bit lefty, so why don't Airbuses fall out of the sky?

I have already explained this once before, and my last post outlines the real reason for Boeings problems.$$$

You do what you do, which may well involve a bit of thinking, then posting a picture you trawled the internet for of an 'ugly' and slightly masculine looking female Boeing employee, so that you and the rest of the 'school bullies' here can guffaw at, and claim as evidence for the companies problems. Failing that, post a meme of a cartoon plane with a vagina, or a transgender olympic athlete that once farted on the seat of a 737 Airmax causing cabin pressure problems.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

So a pinko DEI virtue hire at a commie rag says it ain’t DEI’s fault.
Hang on while I verify that with Joy Reid.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
UPDATE: Elon to the rescue. Boeing's craft will return without the astronauts.

NASA picks SpaceX to rescue astronauts marooned in space

Boeing’s spacecraft will return without people on board, the US space agency said during a Saturday news conference announcing its decision

NASA selected Elon Musk’s SpaceX to bring home the US astronauts who were forced to extend their stay at the International Space Station because of major technical issues with Boeing Co.’s capsule.

Boeing’s spacecraft will return without people on board, the US space agency said during a Saturday news conference announcing its decision.

The contingency plan means that NASA astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams will hitch a ride home on SpaceX’s rival Crew Dragon capsule during a mission slated to launch in late September. That would put them back on US soil in February, when that capsule is slated to return and months later than originally planned.

Reactions: OverMountain