PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Boeing and Disney should merge. They both seem to share the same philosophy regarding product quality.
The first capsule Boeing had NASA review had 80 major design flaws. I love that they got to a point where they built something that was so bad. They had to completely scrap it and start over. What the hell is going on with that company promote up not out.

Reactions: sablebrush52

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
This is what happens when you have your software done "offshore" by the cheapest company you can find, same with the Max software that ended up killing hundreds of people.
The actual underlying problem was a lack of redundancy in a flight critical system. Touching the air data system to provide the necessary redundancy would’ve touched many, many other systems. Touching them results in the possibility that they would have to be redesigned to comply with the latest regulatory basis, or at the very least an enormous amount of test and analysis. It was a management decision to avoid cost abetted by the FAA Northwest cert office.

I’ve worked many aircraft cert programs. If we’d ever proposed what Boeing did we’d have been laughed out of the room.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
They got in the usual way. They got hired.
You need to dispel from your mind the myth that people get hired because they are competent or deserving. Sometimes that is the case, but sometimes it’s enough that they give the appearance of competence.
The secret is simple. If you can’t dazzle with brilliance, baffle with bullshit.
Some of the most desperately dumb, spectacularly stupid bozos it has been my displeasure to deal with populate HR departments. And leave us not forget the old boys network, old school ties, nincompoop nepotism, and an unholy host of cons, falsified resumes, and on and on. It’s a wonder that we’re not wiped off the face of the planet. But just give it time.
I’m sorry.
Are we talking about Scandinavian Tobacco Group here, or Boeing?

• Haha
Reactions: sablebrush52

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Man that's cool
I grew up in satellite beach, everyone either worked for NASA or was in the Air Force, we were here for all of the original launches, Mercury program, etc., i was too young but my brothers and sister all got to watch the Apollo launches from right down the road, I’ve been here for almost all of the shuttles and space x, it’s in the blood. I have two friends that I grew up with that are both directors of different divisions at NASA so I do get some pretty good free passes and launch viewing passes things like that. And I got to meet Buzz Aldrin at someone’s house even though he wouldn’t sign an autograph lol

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mingc and woodsroad

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
On the other side of the competency spectrum SpaceX successfully launched Starship and brought it back “in one piece”. Watching live there was a great cam feed of one of the fins starting to melt, the plasma was just melting the fins right off and the actual structure survived and the fins were intact enough to control the shit, move it into horizontal position to slow its decent and then flip it for the landing burn, amazing that with all the damage it still performed perfectly!

The world’s most powerful rocket and larger than the Saturn V and able to carry much more payload not to mention able to return. They were successful from launch to return on only their fourth test flight.

Exciting to watch!

Screen Shot 2024-06-06 at 10.10.25 AM.png

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Watching the starship today was incredible! It would take NASA/Boeing years to turn around a test launch where SpaceX is doing it in months. It’s gotta have something to do with a fresh, diverse workforce vs shuttle era retreads.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Watching the starship today was incredible! It would take NASA/Boeing years to turn around a test launch where SpaceX is doing it in months. It’s gotta have something to do with a fresh, diverse workforce vs shuttle era retreads.
The spiral design theory, they launch vehicles and test them, if they blow up great they learn what they need to change, they spend about 90% less time in simulators and ground fires than typically are done, this allows them much more rapid design changes. They have 4 more test flights planned for this year alone.

When asked how the flight was post landing Control Flap 2 replied …

IMG_3264.jpeg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast