PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Any time I find myself in the Champaign, IL area, I try my hardest to swing by Jon's Pipe Shop- a grade A establishment. The tobacconist there knows me as well as my tastes and recommended that I try something called Bob's Chocolate Flake. He's never steered me wrong with recommendations so I didn't question it. I'm very glad I took his advice. This stuff is phenomenal. I have only been smoking pipes for a while now but there's something unique about this blend that I can't quite put my finger on. Nice smokey tones from the Latkia remind me of an earthy sweetness that you'd find in Laphroaig or Caol Ila scotch. The rest of the mixture seems to be mostly Burley with some Virginia tossed in too for a good medium body. It seems to rub out rather coarse, which is something I like, and it smoked dry without the soupy cased texture that I usually associate with some aromatics. Thoughts anyone? I'm curious to hear of other experiences with this stuff.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I also love Bob's Chocolate Flake. It's definitely one of my favorite aros. It also helps that it's sold in bulk so its very affordable. I think the "something unique" that you detect here is the "Lakeland essence," which is in a lot of tobaccos from that region . It tastes and smells a little like perfume or flowers... It reminds some folks of their grandmothers. It can be a bit much in some blends but I think it's just right in BCF. :D

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Love me some Bob's. Tried it and then had to store a brick of it. Wonderful with some age on it, wonderful as it is.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
A great tobacco and for me, shares my favourite slot with FVF well aged.
I find it a blend with so many flavours, but all so balanced with each other, I wonder if it should even be called an aro. Yes,nit has mild toppings, but it's just to perfectly proportioned it's tough to put a finger on any specific flavour.
A joy to smoke basically.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Bob's Flake has been a favorite of mine for some time. I have 500 grams put away from 2008 and 2010. IMHO, the 2010 offering is superior to that put out in 08. Smooth smoking, fragrant and very tasty. I've never had the tinned version. I am smoking some right now and enjoying it.
Mike S.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Bobs great! Let it air out for 24 Hours before you smoke it, the topping settles down and let's the tobacco sing. And don't get excited that SG sells Chocolate Flake, it's not even in the same ball park as Bobs Chocolate Flake. In fact I started a fight on here saying SG Chocolate Flake is merely a Balkan with a slight -very slight cocoa. Some folks! :rofl:

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Bob's is one of my favorite blends. I smoked a bowl and loved it so much I hopped online and ordered more. One I def will not ever be without.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Love the stuff. I got a sample of it and ordered a 500 gram box. The stuff ages fast, after less then a year there's alot of crystals all over it. It's not an everyday smoke for me but I love to have it around, that chocolate soapy flavor is good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.