PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think about the differences in briar and meerschaum densities too. I believe meer to be lighter than briar, inherently, and that there are different densities in both. I think a heavier, but similar sized briar might have closer cellular make up? Same with meer. I would think that lighter materials transfer from inside to out more readily. Where the heck does the heat go in a meer though? Hard to get one hot!
I feel like you can guess how heavy a briar is by how the grain looks. Thinner less obvious lines seem to mean a lighter pipe and also seems to smoke sweeter. Then again that is based off the number of pipes I've owned which is a very not reliable sample size so..... Not saying it's that way just that I suspect it maybe so, but wouldn't be surprised to find out I am totally wrong either.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I think about the differences in briar and meerschaum densities too. I believe meer to be lighter than briar, inherently, and that there are different densities in both. I think a heavier, but similar sized briar might have closer cellular make up? Same with meer. I would think that lighter materials transfer from inside to out more readily. Where the heck does the heat go in a meer though? Hard to get one hot!
Puff fast and smoke shag cut. You can get a meer so hot you can't touch it. But I agree they are cooler than briar typically. I have an old junk meer from the 70's and it's like stone. As soon as you light it it's almost too hot. All depends in the block quality