PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I was thinking the other day about how block quality may effect certain aspects of the pipe

1. Why is it that some pieces that you wouldnt expect to weight much, are like a brick, and other times are light as a feather? Meers are known for being a light material, but i have a Lovat from Baki that weights in at a whoping 78gms.

2. Ive read that lower quality blocks will color much quicker than higher quality. I have a pipe that currently has about 35 bowls smoked, and doesnt show much coloring other than a pink rim around the ring. im not commenting on the quality of this pipe, but just speaking of the variability of the absorption from the smoking process

image0 (6).jpeg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I don't anything concerning the variables you are asking about, but I do know 35 bowls is not enough for a meer to react much to. I have one that already had a few years casual smoking done, but back in October-ish I started smoking it once a day through till now and I am barely seeing much change.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Meers are known for being a light material, but i have a Lovat from Baki that weights in at a whoping 78gms.
I would agree with Morton about the coloring, but that Lovat does seem a bit on the heavy side...not sure it necessarily speaks to the quality of the block though...depending on how large it is.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
i did come across a thread here where the owner of a pipe had a brown pipe within a weak. This pipe subsequently had issuess less than a month later. He thought the coloring and issues were related to lower quality meer.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Based on my experience with meerschaums, which is limited to a Baki and two SMSs, the idea that they are lighter than briars is a complete myth. And they take forever to color significantly. Been pounding hell out of a simple SMS 'dog for two years, and it has yet to color anything but the shank, and that looks to be just internal grunge seeping out. But I like 'em for smoking--the coloring means zip to me, and even less to anyone I might inflict displaying them to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not an experienced Meerschaum smoker, but I think the way it works best is to just enjoy smoking the Meer for its clarity and definition with flavors and leave the coloration to time. That works with unfinished briar pipes, You're packing it one day and you see it has a fine polished finish without wax or polish or any help at all, just hand buffing.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I’m not concerned as much that it’s not coloring. My main reason for creating the thread was to discuss if quality of meer may effect coloring or the weight of the pipe

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
1) Weight speaks nothing quality.
2) Coloring has nothing to do with anything.

I'm sure there's variability in meerschaum just like there is in briar but it doesn't necessarily effect the overall quality of the pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My early learning was that lighter indicated a more porous meerschaum. If such were true, only anecdotal on my part, lighter meer should color faster. It's a natural material so I doubt there are any hard and fast rules. Back when I was buying CAO's if more than one pipe caught my eye and met each of my criteria, I went with lighter. I haven't examined nor, purchased a meer in . . . thirty years maybe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my light meer does seem to be coloring really fast. I don't smoke it hardly ever and it is certainly coloring.IMG_0641.jpg That is after less then 40 smokes. I hardly touch the pipe. It smokes wonderfully and every time I smoke it I think I should smoke it more but I just don't.
Oh the photo doesn't show how complex layered the coloring is too.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't have a dog in this fight but I have always found that the really old pipes as smoked by myself and my mate Weezell seem to color well and very quickly with one or two exceptions. I have been told by my dear friend Ramazan at Meerschaum Depot that the quality of the meerschaum was better back in the 19th century and that the French and Austrian carvers treated their pipes with something that caused then to color exponentially. Over 37 years I have heard all sorts of rumors from people who are now long dead so who knows!