PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I consider myself to be on the side of the blessed. Within all genres and styles there are blends that I like. I can't recall ever tasting a new blend and being repulsed. I have preferred burley blends over the last year or so but I do mix it up from time to time. As for my cellar, it is deep on certain blends that cover all spectrums but it is wide enough to have some deep variety. I am 36 now, at my current rate of consumption I estimate my cellar will see me into my 60's. That's humbling and exciting at the same time.

Yeh, there are a few blends that I just won’t smoke at all. Mint, cherry, fruity…. Menthol. Some, I’m just not crazy about, but if I have it open, I’ll smoke it till it’s gone. Some, I liked a lot early on, bought a lot of it, but I just became cold towards as my tastes changed. But, I have it, so I’ll smoke it. And then there are blends that I just go crazy over, passionately love. It’s good to have balance. If every meal was my favorite…. Chili…. Eventually Id get tired of it. A humdrum hamburger is good to break up the in betweens.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
With cigarettes, I'm a one blend person. Even with RYO tobacco, I favored a combination that mirrored my over the counter cigarettes.

With pipe tobacco, I'm all over the map. From burley to Virginia and aromatics, with the occasional English.

What I want pipe wise depends on mood. With cigarettes, it's always the same (but suspect the same is true for most cigarette smokers).

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I mostly smoked aromatics when first starting out, now I don't. I'll smoke any genre -- burley, English, VA, VA/PER, etc. -- and enjoy them all. I'm choosy about the blender though, there's one I've never been fond of so I avoid their stuff. My taste preference has been evolving, smoking more burley and fewer latakia blends now than I did a few years ago.

Mar 1, 2014
The Blessed
@cosmicfolklore commented that there are very few blends that he doesn’t enjoy and I imagine @JimInks is able to find something endearing about many, many blends.

The Cursed
Me? I don’t do Latakia nor straight Virginias nor Dark Fired nor Perique. I distaste anything artificial, too strongly flavored or too harsh. I cannot stand cigarettes nor tolerate very many cigars.

I’m quite singular in my tastes and at the opposite end from those who can enjoy tobacco in every form. @ChasingEmbers, for example, chews and enjoys his tobacco all day and in every way.

So what do I like?

Burley or Va/Bur blends mild enough to retro all day and of medium flavor with a light hand in their casing.—There aren’t many that fit my tastes. It’s an old school genre. Some would say, Codger. I describe it as old tyme pipey. —Natural, mild and clean tasting tobacco. I recognize it instantly when I find it —there are no shortcuts for the cursed.

Yes, I know that Granger is molasses and that the new STG version has some anise —but it’s light. Very light. It’s pure, mild and tasty.

Pegasus has depth, tannic walnut, a sweetness weaving along with a sour note. It’s quite the flavorful blend—No topping is required.

Crooner holds my interest because it’s a natural blend of burley and flavorful without need of artifice.

So when I find a blend that clicks for me, it’s a very big deal.

Winchester is an all day retrohale of light brown sugar, it’s boring, easygoing and for me.

Mods. Please don’t move this thread from General Discussion. It’s not intended to be a review of tobacco.

Respondents. Help those new on their journey by sharing where you fall on this spectrum—where you started, how your tastes have changed and where you have ended up today.

I have a suspicion that most of the long time faithful, despite having acquired rather wide cellars, have settled upon a core rotation of their own hard won favorites.

There are no shortcuts. Enjoy the journey.
Most of the time I still approach pipesmoking as a challenge as much as a way to unwind.

It does not surprise me at all that traditionally the majority of pipesmokers just found one good blend and smoked nothing else (it's also perfectly logical when this is how most people treat coffee/tea as well).

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Started in college with codger blends then folded in some MacBaren tins, but couldn't figure out how to smoke them without getting tongue bite. There were no internet forums back then and I didn't know any older pipe smokers to consult.

I took a couple of decades break, then resumed with Captain Black White. Now there were internet forums. I learned about Haddo's Delight and SG FVF but ,again, couldn't get the hang of smoking them without tongue bite.

In the last decade I've figured out how to smoke almost every blend (Petit Robin is an exception). Guided by reviews on TR and on YouTube (sorry guys!), I have favorites in most genres. I like Lakelands in moderation but not aros. One limitation is that I have to smoke indoors, which makes it hard to smoke English/Balkan blends.

Currently, I'm smoking a lot Stonehenge, Solani Virginia Flake, Silver Flake and ABF, Capstan Blue and Gold, Sillem's Councilor, Peterson/Dunhill DNR and Davidoff Flake Medallions.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Most of the time I still approach pipesmoking as a challenge as much as a way to unwind.

It does not surprise me at all that traditionally the majority of pipesmokers just found one good blend and smoked nothing else (it's also perfectly logical when this is how most people treat coffee/tea as well).
I love variety BUT my wife says NO, NO, NO

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Blessed.

Took the circuitous route. Started on heavily flavored aromatics... blah, blah, blah. Yuck!

Now I enjoy blends from most every family and enjoy the variety of tins I have open at any given time. I enjoy changing styles in a single session, sometimes leaving a very large bowled pipe 1/2 full for the next day. Mmm.

Still exploring, generally hard to find anything that I truly dislike. Most I like enough to enjoy the full tin. Some regularly seem to be my instant new favorite upon the first smoke, but that doesn't always last long.

My biggest question is what will I think of those favorite blends in 5, 10 or 15 years? Don't know but I hope I'm smoking them to find out.

Cheers

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
I consider myself to be on the side of the blessed. Within all genres and styles there are blends that I like. I can't recall ever tasting a new blend and being repulsed. I have preferred burley blends over the last year or so but I do mix it up from time to time. As for my cellar, it is deep on certain blends that cover all spectrums but it is wide enough to have some deep variety. I am 36 now, at my current rate of consumption I estimate my cellar will see me into my 60's. That's humbling and exciting at the same time.
Your cellar seems lacking. Life expendancy is about 85 now

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Been smoking a pipe for precisely three years. My first two tins were Mac Baren aromatics, first Original Choice then Vanilla Cream. I continued that theme with my next purchase, CAO Moontrance. Had it not been for buying someone's cellar purge about a year and a half ago, this pattern might have just continued indefinitely. The cellar itself that I bought was weighted toward aromatics (perhaps 70/30), but the little bit of variety present in it allowed me to expand my tastes once I turned off the aro autopilot (three PG-laden P&C blends from the "Out Of Office" series were the straw that broke the camel's back). My first non-aromatic blend was Peterson Sherlock Holmes, and it just went from there--I tried something from every category after that. Initially I became fond of burleys, but then my tastes suddenly shifted toward straight VAs, once I learned how to smoke them properly. I eventually got over the aforementioned PG-trauma of the early days, and Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake was instrumental in reminding me that aromatics can actually be done right. Currently, my tastes are largely split between light aromatics and VaBur blends, with the bronze going to VA flakes in the vein of Capstan Blue. I never went through an obsessive English blend phase like I did with aromatics, even in the coldest winter, and I do enjoy them immensely, but I have to be in the mood, and the setting has to be right. After some extensive retooling of the cellar, it now features 30 open blends in Ball jars, about 35 sealed tins, and perhaps 40 samples (I'm a slow smoker, so I'm still making my way through these), all of the above featuring blends from all over the spectrum. Being a slow smoker, I value variety more so than quantity, but even the latter I have covered, and I know it.

The only thing I don't know is....is anyone still awake?

bueller.gif

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The only thing I don't know is....is anyone still awake?

View attachment 130289
[/QUOTE]

Wide awake! Thanks for sharing this. I’m enjoying reading the stories. Confirms I’m an odd duck. I tried a bowl of Presbyterian today, I feel I could enjoy the orientals, I just get turned off by the Latakia—and I know it’s light in Latakia.

Just finished a bowl of Haunted Bookshop, which in the past I know I’ve described as bland. I guess burley is just my thing. I’m quite the fan of C&D Burleys all.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I enjoy a multitude of tobacco’s in every genre. Currently, I have been smoking several Lakeland’s from my cellar and having a great time. I’m eagerly waiting on a small sample of Coniston Cut Plug for this Friday’s smoke. If I like it, I will buy a box. Resistance seems futile. The TAD is strong..

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I enjoy a multitude of tobacco’s in every genre. Currently, I have been smoking several Lakeland’s from my cellar and having a great time. I’m eagerly waiting on a small sample of Coniston Cut Plug for this Friday’s smoke. If I like it, I will buy a box. Resistance seems futile. The TAD is strong..

A Lakeland is something I have never tried. I’ve heard people say that Crooner points in that direction with the floral notes of deer tongue which I do like.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I smoke exactly 4 tobaccos: C & D's Crooner, C & D's Visions of Celephais, Paladin Black Cherry, and Mixture 79. Visions took me by surprise, because it is not a codger blend, but aside from that, I really have no interest in trying any others, beyond a little curiosity for Lakeland. I have been debating for weeks whether or not to sample EGR and St. Bruno ~ but I always find a reason not to pull the trigger.