PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The Blessed
@cosmicfolklore commented that there are very few blends that he doesn’t enjoy and I imagine @JimInks is able to find something endearing about many, many blends.

The Cursed
Me? I don’t do Latakia nor straight Virginias nor Dark Fired nor Perique. I distaste anything artificial, too strongly flavored or too harsh. I cannot stand cigarettes nor tolerate very many cigars.

I’m quite singular in my tastes and at the opposite end from those who can enjoy tobacco in every form. @ChasingEmbers, for example, chews and enjoys his tobacco all day and in every way.

So what do I like?

Burley or Va/Bur blends mild enough to retro all day and of medium flavor with a light hand in their casing.—There aren’t many that fit my tastes. It’s an old school genre. Some would say, Codger. I describe it as old tyme pipey. —Natural, mild and clean tasting tobacco. I recognize it instantly when I find it —there are no shortcuts for the cursed.

Yes, I know that Granger is molasses and that the new STG version has some anise —but it’s light. Very light. It’s pure, mild and tasty.

Pegasus has depth, tannic walnut, a sweetness weaving along with a sour note. It’s quite the flavorful blend—No topping is required.

Crooner holds my interest because it’s a natural blend of burley and flavorful without need of artifice.

So when I find a blend that clicks for me, it’s a very big deal.

Winchester is an all day retrohale of light brown sugar, it’s boring, easygoing and for me.

Mods. Please don’t move this thread from General Discussion. It’s not intended to be a review of tobacco.

Respondents. Help those new on their journey by sharing where you fall on this spectrum—where you started, how your tastes have changed and where you have ended up today.

I have a suspicion that most of the long time faithful, despite having acquired rather wide cellars, have settled upon a core rotation of their own hard won favorites.

There are no shortcuts. Enjoy the journey.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m very particular too, to many blends come across something more for cigarettes or cigars, I don’t like either, and I want to smoke Pipe Tobacco, and when I first started out in the early 80s, Cavendish was King.

I’ve always considered Cavendish as the epitome of the Pipe World.

Of course everyone’s start in the Pipe World is different, and what that means/represents to them.

My tastes have also changed a lot recently as I’ve begun to taste more out there.

The only two blends that represent this world as my most favored at the moment would be KBV The Patience of Dr. Silence and KBV Anne Cap.

But for nice mellow light smoking VA blends, Samuel Gawith’s Sam’s Flake, and Grousemoor would be my top light VA blends at the moment.

Next, I like some of the light VA/VaPer of Esoterica, and aged Syrian English blends, but I rarely smoke English/Latakia much these days. Dunhill EMP in the early 80s was my first of the English, so I’m spoiled and would want more 80s tins of EMP, if I could get them.

Who knows where I’ll be next in few years of tasting, because I am always buying and trying new blends, there is just to much out there to not want to try.

Just when you think this is it, another great blend comes along! LOL ?

P.S. Black Cherry Cavendish Cigar anyone? LOL ?

Last edited:

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Well, it's been quite a journey. At first I smoked anything, tobacco wise, that came into my hands. I found out quickly that aromatics were not for me. I thought maybe I would be an English smoker. While I liked several English blends well enough, it wasn't as satisfying for me as I had hoped. I went through Virginias, Va/Pers, burley, Va/Burs, anything I could find. The ones that really hit the spot for me were Burley and Va/Bur. So, I went straight down that rabbit hole. I pretty much still get my mail down there.

Fast forward to today, I like quite a few different genres of tobacco. Usually, the closer to pure tobacco taste the better. I enjoy an English blend from time to time. I especially like Latakia when used in a condimental role. I can dabble in an occasional aromatic, but not very often. Perique and I get on very well together. I love dark fired Kentucky and smoke it every day. Straight Virginia and Va/Pers are in my regular rotation. But at the end of the day, I am far and away a Burley guy. It took quite some time to arrive at that conclusion but I embrace it wholeheartedly. I am always open to trying a tobacco I've not had before even though I've pretty much found my niche. Never know what the result may be until you give it a shot. And the journey continues.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
My journey started with aros. I thought that's where the flavor was at. But I was wrong, I didn't like a single one I tried. Then I bought some English Oriental Supreme. I fell in love and was an English heavy smoker for about a year until I had some aged Luxury Navy Flake. That was my intro to Virginia's, and I haven't looked back since. I'd say where I'm at now is 75% of my daily smokes (and cellar) are VA based blends of sorts (straight VA, VaBur, VaPer, etc) and 25% English/Balkan.
I tend to prefer VA blends for my morning and daily smokes, and prefer a stout English blend for my nightly smoke. I will say during the cold season I smoke more Latakia blends. But I'm still mostly a VA lover.

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I started with aros, specically anything cherry, and smoked that way very sporadically for over 20 years. I bought a burley based blend at Uhle's on a trip through Milwaukee about 2 years ago and that turned me into a daily pipe smoker.

Reading reviews on this site had me buying a wide range of varietals, it turns out I'm mostly on the blessed end of the spectrum. I really tried to figure out latakia, I don't much like it although I keep Presbyterian around and enjoy it occasionally. Very occasionally. Burley, dark fired, straight Virginia, and vapers are in regular rotation. I seem to get focused on one type for about a week at a time and then move on, this week I'm a burley guy (as I smoke a straight Virginia while I type...)

The best part? At every smoke I am absolutely convinced that the tobacco in my pipe is my single favorite type. Then I laugh at myself and look forward to the next bowl when I'll convince myself it's something different. Same concept applies to the pipe itself.

It's an infinitely satisfying hobby.

vecchio

Lurker
Jan 31, 2021
Tampa, FL
Funny thing is, I like all kinds of foods, but I have a narrow taste in pipe tobacco. If it’s a vanilla-type aro, I’m on it. I don’t stray far from that (I occasionally enjoy a bowl of MB Mixture; quite different). The variety of vanilla-based aro out there is greater than you might think.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Blessed - but, cursed depending on how you look at the habit.

I like different blends for different reasons. I don’t know that I’ll ever stop discovering things within different blends as they undoubtedly will change with leaf availability, blending changes, moisture content, and age of tin, etc. But, I guess I come into it with the flavor profile in mind for a blend based on its main component(s). I can enjoy blends across all segments so far, with aros being my least favorite. But, much of what I want to smoke depends on my mood and other variables too long to list.

So many people talk about only having a tin at a time or limiting the number of blends they have open. Or staying on one blend for a number of bowls over a period…and I can appreciate that works for them. However, I find that I get far more enjoyment out of being able to smoke a bowl of something, then have 15 or more other blends before coming back to that blend again. I find tasting to be far improved when I can separate the timing of bowls of the same blend out of the same tin. Not to say I don’t get on kicks of a certain blend, but let’s say I have 20 bowls in a week, I could smoke 20 different and be more content with that than smoking only 3-4 blends multiple times. If I smoked one bowl a day, I think I could smoke for three straight months or longer without smoking the same blend twice…based on open blends. ? ?‍♂️ Sure, I’m finding those I reach for more often and they are taking up more space in storage. I assume what is going to happen is as I roll through the jars of open tins I’ve tried and can smoke, ones that aren’t exciting to me will not be bought again.

I love the variety…and when I started out I thought I wanted to find that “all day” blend like I was going to only have one tobacco I shoved in my pipe. That search landed me squarely where I am today - enjoying a bunch of different blends and creating a space where I can rediscover them over and over again. ? But most importantly, while I have a ton of blends open and jarred - I only have larger quantities of blends I really enjoy.

And - as a bonus - I dig Five Bros as a no frills straight Burley. I read people used to tuck a pinch in their cheek/lip. Of course, I had to try it. It’s actually not half bad that way - and it will deliver a solid for you if you need a nic hit. Don’t knock it till you try it

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't smoke enough for me to really narrow things down. I appreciate every blend and form of tobacco. If I was smoking 5-6 bowls a day, I'd imagine it would become possible to select blends that wouldn't tire me out. But at 1 bowl, maybe 2 at max a day, the selection isn't very important as long as I enjoy it.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Started at age 40 some 8 years ago. Began with an MM and packets of Captain Black & Lane 1Q. Then transitioned to milder English blends. After English rounds, I transitioned to VaPers & Virginias…there I found my first truly epic smoking experiences. Came across McClelland & Germain’s, and like many went absolutely ? hunting & acquiring. I mean it seriously got out of hand. ?‍♂️

I’ve smoked some good ? in my short time, but have finally realized that I need only one blend to continuously satisfy me. See I’m not looking to be blown away every time I ? up my bowl. What I’m looking for is steady, repetitive, relaxing, easy to load, and delicious. I’ve found that in Haunted Bookshop. I also like the idea that I can just load & puff on a singular blend without thinking too much…it simplifies things in a way. I mean back in the day most pipers would puff on one blend with a handful of pipes at most. Another thing is almost always readily available.

I’ll always have a selection of a “few things” in the side that I like to dip into now & again. However, like @Grangerous, I’m leaning towards stocking just a select few blends going forward…and here I am. ☕

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
In 1994 I purchased “Hazelnut” from a tobacconists jar because it smelled so good. No flavor. Tobacconist suggested a mild English blend, it was ok. Half n Half and SWR Aro followed. I actually remember enjoying the Half n Half. MM 965 was eye opening in the same way Laphroag is to scotch (an occasional visit, too rich) — Later I discovered MacBarren and so called good burley and I sought out the cocoa notes like a good MacBarren disciple. Burley London Blend, Norwood, Golden Extra, Symphony etc. I no longer associate my burley that way. In other words, with Cocoa. Carter Hall and Prince Albert and Sugar Barrel all had toppings I somewhat liked and I began to settle in and really enjoy the OTC’s more than the fancy MacBarren tins. I’d read reviews and met with many disappointments along the way. I’ve been down the Virginia Flake road and the boutique blend road, the popular blend road, so many come to mind. Squadron Leader, HH Acadian Perique, Old Dark Fired, etc etc etc never really enjoying myself until I tried Granger. I remember being outdoors and in wind and it had a flavor that I could taste. In other words, Granger didn’t make me look for it. I was amazed by this! It’s still that way today. When I return to a bowl of Granger after enjoying something else, I just slowly let it escape and smile. I will never tire of this blend. Of late Pegasus has my full attention as does Winchester. It’s nice to have three or four from which to choose, knowing exactly what to expect. I’m honestly quite tired of trying other blends and finding they don’t please. The reality is there are just far too many. I just want to relax with a few personal favorites. Get off my lawn.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the longer I smoke the less interest I have in trying new things. I mean I still love trying new things, but I really love the old favorites. It's not a bad place to be at really. If I try something new every few months I am golden.
Oh and it always feels like a small victory when I enjoy the cheaper (less expensive) options of anything over the pricier.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy some blend or blends in most genres, but only specific ones. Likewise, I'm not interested in many blends in all of the various genres. They're too mild, or harsh, or just off in flavor for me. I'm a burley devotee, but enjoy a number of non-burley blends. On some blends I'm off and on, so I don't often re-order those. I am most picky about aromatics. Select ones really click, but most are one-off samples for me. I like GLP Barbary Coast with its light touch of brandy. Some of the old standards don't go for me. Prince Albert is cloying with its cocoa. Velvet has remote flavor. Half-and-Half has gratuitous harsh edges for a simple burley-Virginia blend; I can do better than that just putting the two together myself. I'm fairly tolerant of some strong blends, so I can enjoy those, mostly non-aromatics. I don't feel cursed. You just learn what you like and go there.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Well, it's been quite a journey. At first I smoked anything, tobacco wise, that came into my hands. I found out quickly that aromatics were not for me. I thought maybe I would be an English smoker. While I liked several English blends well enough, it wasn't as satisfying for me as I had hoped. I went through Virginias, Va/Pers, burley, Va/Burs, anything I could find. The ones that really hit the spot for me were Burley and Va/Bur. So, I went straight down that rabbit hole. I pretty much still get my mail down there.

Fast forward to today, I like quite a few different genres of tobacco. Usually, the closer to pure tobacco taste the better. I enjoy an English blend from time to time. I especially like Latakia when used in a condimental role. I can dabble in an occasional aromatic, but not very often. Perique and I get on very well together. I love dark fired Kentucky and smoke it every day. Straight Virginia and Va/Pers are in my regular rotation. But at the end of the day, I am far and away a Burley guy. It took quite some time to arrive at that conclusion but I embrace it wholeheartedly. I am always open to trying a tobacco I've not had before even though I've pretty much found my niche. Never know what the result may be until you give it a shot. And the journey continues.
Favorite Burleys?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Excellent thread.

I have only returned to smoking pipes for a bit over 3years, and so consider myself very much a novice still. And still with a steep learning curve ahead.

When I first started, English and Balkans were my go-to blends. I found Virginias to be quite bland. I have recently been smoking more Virginias and Virginia blends. I have to qualify that by saying that for the preceeding 15 years, I had been smoking cigars exclusively.

The corollary in wine-drinking is loving the bold flavours of ripe Cabernet blends and Aussie Shiraz initially. With time, I tired of those huge, bold wines and preferring the more subtle flavours of pintos and especially red Burgundies. So much so some years back I sold off over one hundred and fifty cases of my carefully collected Aussie "icons".

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I suspect that if you have even one blend that you love and provides contentment over time, you're blessed. For me, I prefer to go deep on a handful of blends within each category I enjoy. Makes life easier!

I'm starting to cellar a few burley blends (including OTCs), a few VaPers, and a few blends with dark-fired (eg. Silver Flake). Maybe a few straight Va's. I prefer to keep it simple.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Where a lot start with an aromatic, I started pipe smoking 1 year ago with MB Golden Blend (or extra for USA). Loved the nutty cocao taste of it and still do! Got a bit of hang on Orientals (Presbyterian) without a lot of Latakia. I also enjoyed MB Navy Flake straight away, liked the rum/honey casing on it. I'm always suprised some say you'll enjoy virginia or vaper later in your pipe smoking journey, I enjoyed mine (OGS and Ascanian #2) straight away. Aro's I only tried a MB Vanilla Blend which is quite oke, but not something that makes me steer from straightish tobaccos.

What I didn't enjoy untill now is a straight burley like ABF, no nuttyness or cocoa, just a flat earthy taste, but further more I can enjoy almost every tobacco.