PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
Depends on how much I like them, if they have smoked any tobacco products before and what their thoughts on it was.
Probably briar fox if I like them.

Brown twist if I don't.

• Haha
Reactions: gord

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I'd probably give them a bowl of Captain Black Dark to try. It's a very forgiving blend and lots of smoke from the Black Cavendish so they can feel like a hero trying to blow smoke rings

Reactions: johnscs and gord

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I agree with your original choice of Sun Bear, +1 for Six Pence and codger blends as well. Any burley w/o bite would be a great choice as he likes cigars and may find these especially satisfying as i do.

Maybe one of C&D's burley blends (1-5).

Another option would be something flavorful and easy going like Country Squire's Cowboy Coffee or King's Highway.
I actually considered Cowboy Coffee🙂

Reactions: dottlejockey

gord

Can't Leave
I'd have gone with the codger (Carter Hall was mine) or a light English such as EMP or Presbyterian.
Only because those are what worked for me.
I early on developed a taste for English . . . and only discovered Presbyterian a week ago. I agree with your recommendation. Burns cool, doesn't bite and has a fine but gentle flavour.

My only nit would be its availability. In my neck of the woods, it's not and has to be ordered from the US.

As an alternative, I might suggest to him a Cherry flavoured aromatic like Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish. Been my experience that noobs like cherry flavours.

Reactions: khiddy and FLDRD

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I'd go either with a codger blend (or match) or an aromatic english. Something with taste but not exactly bold. Flavors they can taste when they're doing it right but not burn them if they - or rather when they- go too hard.

Something universally pleasant. I'm not staying them out on a Lakeland whose flavors could put them off pipe smoking permanently.

Something more forgiving of still developing mechanics of smoking a pipe. More than just tongue burn or heat related issues. Packing, for example.

On the packing note, ribbon cut. Obviously.

Maybe something with a medium nicotine level for someone who is already used to lady N. Or light for a newer smoker. The strength would have to depend on knowing your friend.

Sutliff, Stokkebye, C&D, all have tons of blends that fit the bill nicely. If you have a tub of an old standby codger blend, fill him up a baggie or small jar.

Reactions: gord

WirelessSmoke

Might Stick Around
Jul 14, 2024
New England
I'm less than a year into my pipe smoking journey, but since it's still fresh in my mind I'll share what I got started on.

From Watch City Cigar, I was sold their Eureka blend. It's a mild aromatic cavendish blend that I found pretty easy to smoke, and keep lit out of the pouch. After a little drying it was even easier to smoke the following days. I still like to smoke it occasionally.

A couple weeks later I was recommended Quint's Own (also a WCC blend), and enjoyed it even more. Still a pretty mild, easy smoking blend, but with a lot more going on in terms of flavor. I've purchased more and I plan to keep it around regularly.

I would easily recommend either of these two for someone to start with, considering my own experience as a new pipe smoker.

I recently purchased my first codger blend, Captain Black Original. I am enjoying it as well, and probably would've been pleased to start with it as a first blend. It's readily available in most places which is convenient, and it smells great while burning.