PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
In a 5 gallon batch of stout when I brew, it is only about 10% of the darker roasted barley to get that color with 90% being two row malts and other lighter base malts, a little goes a long way to change the color of the beer. And with 15 more calories than a bud light it can be deceiving.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I do my own roasts to control the colour , easy on the black patent .
Try a little lactose sugar ..

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I do love some Guinness Stout from time to time. It's what opened the door for me to what was truly possible with beer. Since then, I've had all manner of good stouts and porters. I'll take a Guinness once in a while, but if they have something more intriguing, I may take it instead, just because Guinness is mostly regularly available. Haven't yet paired it with a pipe blend for me though, as I too prefer a good draft instead of cans or bottles, but I would agree that the widget makes it taste all the better from the can. The bottle version tastes a little flat to me.
I do absolutely love Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Highland Brewing's (NC) Oatmeal Porter. Those have a great consistency for me, but I love even heavier than that, such as a lot of barley wines. I like them so thick you feel like you have to chew it before swallowing, but that's just me.
Some are truly more delicious at warmer temperatures. Not pilsners, though. Some become more interesting as they warm. I did a test just to see. Bought a large bottle, I call pint plus others call them bombers, and I put it in the fridge until ice cold. I pulled it out and poured a small glass and then let the bottle sit out. It was great cold, but even better after an hour. You could really taste all the flavors added. Some are intended to be consumed at about 50 degrees and will tell you on the bottle in the form of a suggestion.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I'm not a heavy beer drinker, I use to be when I turned 21 I was trying everything I could find. Now though I've settled down to mostly Guinness and occasionally Heineken. If I ever run across those other stouts I'll try them but I'm a creature of habit, once I find something I like I rarely divert from it. But I do appreciate recommendations.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
cobblestone-stoute_copy_1024x1024.png

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I tried Mac Baren's Dark Twist with Guinness and that matched up great. Still need the cans though but have to drink up what I got first. HH Burley Flake is my next try with it. I like it by itself so with Guinness it should be good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I keep thinking about this one. I don't have any Guinness on hand, but I bet for a dark-on-dark pairing, C&D Night Bayou would play around in that deep rich basso area of flavors. Peterson 3-P might do this too. C&D Stratfordshire. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.