PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Don't waste your time on the bottles. get the cans... The widget seems to work better, and just seems to be a "draft like" taste... the bottle still taste great!!! but seem to fall flat, maybe not enough nitrogen? I dunno...
I never actually stopped to think about there being a difference. I know the cans get colder, at least they seem too, but didn't know there was a difference in taste. I always gravitated to the bottles just because I liked the look of them lol.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I seem to recall Guinness bottles with a widget. Truly the best of all worlds if you can't get a hand pulled pint at the boozer.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I know the cans get colder, at least they seem too, but didn't know there was a difference in taste.
There is a difference for me , but more importantly , don't over chill your stout, it's going to taste best at around 10c or cellar temperature. Simply take them out of the fridge for maybe an hour and then try it.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I'll try that but hopefully I get it right cause I can't stand warm beer. Its gotta be cold, not freezing or anything but warm beer just tastes bad. I'll try setting one out before drinking it next time and see if I can notice a difference. I'm by no means a beer expert

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I like them cool , not cold , and flat , not fizzy
The ice cold pilsner style lager foamy fizzy beer thingy is a western abomination

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Sadly, Guinness isn't very good. I suggest you track down something like Titanic Stout, Bellhaven Black or even Murphy's.

But tobacco and alcoholic beverages do go very well. Port is an excellent drink. I'd imagine it goes very well with Va.

Latakia should go well with most Islay whiskies.

Va/Per and Highland Park.

Remy VSOP and FVF?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
^^^^^^^ smh
Just think of those millions of rubes who, through a shocking lack of discernment, have enjoyed Guinness since 1759. It’s not very good, sadly.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
The next time you try a Guinness see if you can detect a kind of acidic sour taste , along with the burnt , Carmel taste. Its what makes it unique and it can’t be reproduced . Sure brewers make stout but only Guinness makes Guinness stout. The reason being the process of droping the beer batches from one tank to the next in succession , there is a lactic acid , bacteria , present doing its magic as it moves thru.
Another example , pussers navy rum is distilled in 300 year old oak kettles, do you think another kettle someone built at Seagrams is going to produce the same product ... not a chance .

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I prefer my Guinness just a wee bit cooler than room temperature. Well, in India, I prefer it waaaaay below room temp. I also prefer freshly drawn, in Ireland, the barrels delivered fresh from the factory that morning. Unfortunately, that's only possible in Ireland. So I muddle through with whatever is in the cooler at the package store, store it in the garage 50-60 degrees, and drink as required.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Was I the only one who noticed that one day every can said "Made in Dublin" and simultaneously the quality dramatically?

Have any of you tried Titanic or Bellhaven?
An Irish friend once told me he never drunk Guinness outside of Ireland because it never tastes right. No wait, actually two. One young man and one grand old geezer. It doesn't travel well apparently.

There a many World Brands which are a shadow of their former selves. Actually almost all of them.
Sorry to burst your bubble guys. I am trying to help the OP. If he likes stout, he should try to get the good stuff.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Now, if you said, "I don't like the stuff", or "There are many others I prefer far more," I could accept that without question. It "isn't good"? That's pure horseshit.
Is it better straight out of a Dublin tap? Probably. Are the widget cans better than bottles? Probably. But well-traveled or not, Guinness still beats the shit out of most beverages when piss-warm and drunk out of a wino's shoe.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I love it with Stonehaven, or Rich Dark Flake. I also like it a lot with a good Balkan Blend, like Exotique.

I have one almost everyday, and I agree with it's better fresh in Ireland sentiment. It's been awhile since I've had a "fresh" one. Cheers

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I’m always explaining stout to noobs , they take one look at it and go , holy crap , I can’t drink it .
I make them hold it up to the light , it’s actually a deep ruby colour , not “black” , then I make them check the alcohol level , under 5 percent puts it in the lite beer realm.
Taste it , I say , go ahead , as they nibble at the foam ..

Status
Not open for further replies.