PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Awesome! This is the abstract from the paper that the blog post linked to, make any sense to you?
Abstract

Equilibration of a flavour volatile between a distilled spirit and the headspace is a two-stage process. The first equilibrium occurs between the bulk solution and the headspace spirit interface, and the second between the surface layer and the headspace. The first stage is represented by the activity coefficient of the flavour volatile, which, for hydrophobic compounds, is greatly reduced by the aggregation of ethanol molecules in aqueous solution. The second equilibrium is governed by the vapour pressure of the solute and the ambient temperature and pressure. In mixed saturated solutions the composition of the surface layer and consequently the headspace is determined by the concentration and activity coefficients of the mixture components. Components of wood extract were found to act principally on the first equilibrium. Ethanol lignin acted in the same manner as high molecular weight esters and alcohols of the distillate, displacing volatile components from the surface layer. The suppressant effect of ethanol lignin was lost at 37 °C and consequently would only be important in nosing of spirit samples. Wood extract was found to decrease the critical point for the aggregation of ethanol, resulting in reduced activity coefficients for ethyl decanoate from 5 to 30% ethanol at both 25 and 37 °C. This effect would reduce the spirit–mouthspace partition coefficient with the resulting decreased release of flavour volatile in the mouth. This mechanism would explain the decreased impact of undesirable, immature aromas when wood matured spirits are consumed. © 1999 Society of Chemical Industry

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Actually it makes perfect sense. Ithe decrease in the activity coefficient refers to a drop in effective concentration. the ethyl decorate molecules must be forming associations with each other, and so decrease their volatility. Interesting.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Although some may call it sacrilege, a small amount of water in to neat scotch is IMHO the best way to enjoy a fine dram. The higher the proof, the more water you can add. I'm not talking much, 1/4 tsp for low proof scotches, 1/2 tsp for cask strength (though these amounts change blend by blend). A high proof scotch will anesthetize your tongue, reducing your ability to suss out the flavours. When you add a small amount you will notice the scotch will get a little bit of foggy wisps where the water and scotch meets. My understanding of this is that it is esters falling out of solution - this will improve the bouquet, and as your olfactory affects taste, your experience of the scotch will improve.
The best way to adjust neat scotch to your liking is with a glass of ice chips served on the side. Spoon in a few ice chips and allow them to melt; repeat as needed. It is much easier to adjust and not over-water your drink than it is by adding water or ice cubes. As you say it doesn't take much.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Actually it makes perfect sense
Could you provide a layman's explanation of all of that Greek for us less chemistry-minded?
The best way to adjust neat scotch to your liking is with a glass of ice chips served on the side
That's a pretty good idea! I have been using an old ornate spoon (from my mothers spoon collection which I convinced her to give to me as a child) and a small glass of water but it's not the most precise and not easily modulated.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@drunkblowhard:
Welcome to the forum.
Your comment fascinated me. What part of the industry are you in?
For many years I was a drinker of indiscriminate bourbons and Tennessee whiskeys. Then, about a dozen years ago, i started to dedicate myself to learning more about whiskey (and whisky) when I became partners with a bunch of guys who are oenophiles (latin for "insufferable wine snobs") and I decided that if I were to hold up my non-wine-drinking end of things, I'd better get some knowledge.
In the years since I've become fairly studied on the subject, and expanded my palate substantially. My wife tells hosts and friends: "Brown whiskey. He drinks anything brown." Well, not quite, but Irish whiskey, single malt scotch and -- more latterly -- now find happy congress with all the corn liquor in my cabinets.
A partner of the wine variety recently said thank you to me for a favor with a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and I knew my work here was -- if not done -- at least well begun. (Oh but I do love Islays, Lag 16 most of all.)
So that's my amateur whiskey student story. Now tell me/us about you.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@profpar Let me add my +1 to the suggestion of Deanston as a very affordable single malt that tastes way above its pay grade.
While you're experimenting, note that there is a tremendous renaissance in ryes right now. I like mine on ice and the peppery spice of the best ones is a pleasure. (Manhattan and Bulleit are nice.) One nifty thing about rye? It's what our dads drank. (Well mine, who was born in 1920. But you know. . . .)
@drezz01 I think the rule is, "It's your fookin Scotch. drink it as you like."
And yes, a small drop of water is a fine thing to add. The chemistry majors above seem to have detailed explanations that make sense (orgo was 35 years ago, Lord help me). I have this nifty little pitcher from which I am able to pour the littlest bit of water. I don't do that with every dram, but it can make a difference.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
That's a pretty good idea! I have been using an old ornate spoon (from my mothers spoon collection which I convinced her to give to me as a child)
I usually have a double dram and spoon in a quarter to a half teaspoon of ice chips. Let it sit for a few minutes to let it breathe & the ice chips will melt quickly without cooling down the scotch much. Otherwise for me it's too easy to over water the flavor profile. If you pour a bigger scotch (Scotch on the Rocks) with ice cube(s) it takes a while for the bigger ice cube(s) to melt, they will cool the scotch too much & over water when they do finally melt if you can wait that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.