PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'd spend my money on Johnnie Walker Black, The Black Grouse (a peaty version of Famous Grouse) or Teachers.

Or Chivas if my budget were larger.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Clan McGregor is drinkable, although very, very light. Good party Scotch and summer backyard scotch. But is also light on the pocketbook - probably the cheapest blend you can find that isn't gutter water.
Famous Grouse may be the best value blended Scotch. It is the most popular Scotch sold in Scotland and I would daresay the Scots would know their whiskey best.
When you're ready to splurge, Wine and Spirits rated the top two blended Scotches 95. One of two was priced at $2500 per bottle. The second was Buchanon 18 Year Old, which goes for about $75 per bottle. I wouldn't pay $2500 for a bottle of booze even if I had that kine of money to throw away. But the Buchanon is relatively affordable and is top, top shelf. I can't think of a blend I like better.
Do check with your local B&M and ask them what they have in the way of vat Scotches aka single malt blends. BTW, Johnny Walker Blues is, I believe, a vat Scotch and is better than most single malts - as it should be, for $200 bucks a bottle.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I enjoy Scotch... blended or single malt. Admittedly, my palate isn't very discriminating so I find little value in spending big bucks. Famous Grouse and Dewars White Label do the trick for me.
Johnnie Walker Black is quite good but for just a few dollars more, I prefer Double Black. Another in the same price range that I recommend is Glenmorangie The Original (a Highland Single Malt) - very smooth.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
When I happen to find myself in a cheap bar, J&B(aka Justerini & Brooks) or Dewars White label are my go to drink. They're cheap, and not half bad in my opinion.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I think the best blended scotch on the market is called Monkey Shoulder. Monkey Shoulder is a mix of three different Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie - and is great with mixers or just on its own. Smooth, sweet and very easy to drink.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Dewars white label

Teachers if you like smokey salty (it's called the poor man's Johnny Black I've heard)

Famous grouse

Black grouse-another good smokey bar-b-que flavor

Those are some bottom shelf good picks in my opinion.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Thank you all for your suggestions and input.. I am definitely going to be looking for the brands noted at my local beverage store. I hope they carry famouse grouse, anxious to try that blend. I also want to sample some of the other blends mentioned going forward. Like a kid in a candy shop. I am also encouraged to know that there may be single malts within range. I had not considered these because I thought that the single malt was something I could only dream about.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
See if this interests you?
http://www.b-21.com/Canadian-Club-Small-Batch-Sherry-Cask-Canadian-Whisky/productinfo/LCANCANCSE/?CA_6C15C=120175640000037531#.VW_xNZVFBjo

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Blended are ok, but I find some of the single malt to be only slight higher priced, but so much better in taste. I will take Glefiddich or Bowmore 12 year olds over any blended, any day. If you were closer, I'd deliver a bottle meself, just to temp you into the good stuff.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I'm curious to try Monkey Shoulder. Today I bought a 750ML bottle of Famous Grouse, which I used to get fairly often. It was $11 less than Monkey Shoulder. I almost got White Horse for a buck more, but wanted to reacquaint myself with FG, since it was recommended here. It tastes a bit thin. I'd like to move away from the grain whisky dilution of Scotch flavor. It seems like an alcohol filler, to my mind. Still, it's a much more pleasant drink than the Benchmark Bourbon I had a week or two ago. But I do prefer Scotch over Bourbon. Plus, it goes better on my palate with pipe tobacco.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
No one has mentioned one of the best kept secrets when it comes to very affordable blended whisky... Find yourself a bottle of "Te Bheag" such a well made blended whisky.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Got some White Horse this evening, "a fine matured blend containing at its heart the unique flavor of LAGAVULIN single malt whisky from the island of Islay in the Herbrides." This is as close as I'll get to Lagavulin for a while. I like this much more than Famous Grouse.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Update. Just about finished with a bottle of Teachers Highland Cream. plan on trying famouse gross or black gross next. so many whiskies to try. Such is research.. I also had a chance to sample a single malt. I now know what I want for Christmas. I find I enjoy these whiskies best neat. My father used to mix whisky with ginger ale. while the whisky no doubt imensley improved the gingerale, it is dubious that the whisky benefited from the ginger ale.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I'm glad you are enjoying the scotch journey!
Although some may call it sacrilege, a small amount of water in to neat scotch is IMHO the best way to enjoy a fine dram. The higher the proof, the more water you can add. I'm not talking much, 1/4 tsp for low proof scotches, 1/2 tsp for cask strength (though these amounts change blend by blend). A high proof scotch will anesthetize your tongue, reducing your ability to suss out the flavours. When you add a small amount you will notice the scotch will get a little bit of foggy wisps where the water and scotch meets. My understanding of this is that it is esters falling out of solution - this will improve the bouquet, and as your olfactory affects taste, your experience of the scotch will improve.
I may be greatly misrepresenting this science, as it is beyond me, but I have been greatly enjoying my blends with a small amount of water and letting them sit for ~15min.
There is a great synopsis on this blog post and the sources at the end expand upon it for the scientifically inclined among you.

See Post

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Not sure why esters would come out of coalition when water is added. A ester {R-(C=O)-0-R'} is a H-bond acceptor and hence esters so,unless in alcohol should be quite soluble in a mixture of water and alcohol. Perhaps the addition of water reduces the vapor pressure of the alcohol making the vapor richer in the esters. should mention that I am a chemist.

Status
Not open for further replies.