PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
This is my first Black Friday as a pipe smoker, and I wonder if the concept applies to the pipe smoking world as well. Actually, I'm suffering from both some PAD AND TAD... should I suffer a bit more for much better deals?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Black Friday is a relatively new trend in Canada, so forgive me if I don't quite have the concept down. Is this when everyone goes nuts for buying things? And then there are fist fights at Best Buy?
:)
There are usually so deals from the main pipe sites that pop up on Friday.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Black Friday ... yuk ... I wanted to buy a TV a few years back. Watched it online for a while. Two weeks before black friday the store marked it up, and then on black friday it offerd a huge discount, but the price was like a month before. A scam if you ask me ...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Black Friday ... yuk

I totally agree and I usually stay home, but last year I went to Menards on Black Friday and purchased beadboard for my smoking room/porch at 50% off.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Anyone know what SmokingPipes typically does?

And is it Black Friday or Cyber Monday based?

I have an itch to make a purchase but have been waiting to see if there is a hint of a sale coming...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Everything about "Black Friday" is revolting to me. I try to make a special point every year of not making any purchase of any kind on that day.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
No doubt its a generally super gross day for humanity.

However, if it saves me a few bucks while sitting at home enjoying turkey leftovers, I'll allow it.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I think Smoking Pipes did a 15% off all estates last year. There will be some incentives to dive in and spend money between Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Another good way to get your collection going is to keep your eye on the buy/sell/trade forums.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting ... the PC sale on Peterson Rocky Donegal pipes ends midnight tonight, $95.99 pipes at $65.99; they got the jump on Black Friday. I haven't seen any run-ups to Black Friday, but they may crop up. The brick-and-mortar retail promotions seem pretty lame. I think the discounts on clothes and jewelry started early, and the after Christmas sales will run on into February, and the prices should go extra low, I'd guess, but not so much on pipes and tobacco.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Everything about "Black Friday" is revolting to me. I try to make a special point every year of not making any purchase of any kind on that day.
I agree in principle... especially when it comes to big box stores. I am not going out to Walmart and fighting the crowds/idiots to save $20 on a small kitchen appliance that I really don't need.
However the one area that I will makes purchases on Black Friday is with small businesses that rely on discounts/sales to drum up business. So if a B&M pipe/tobacco shop is running a sale for like 10-15% off I will support them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mike: Black Friday was, at one time, when retailers started to turn their yearly profit or, go into the "black", no more red ink in the books as it were. Shelves were stocked, the annual costs all covered and what they made until the end of the year was profit. Now is a time when slow moving items are discounted, inventory reduced prior to inventory taxes, certain items, which had been purchased early in the year, arrive and are placed on shelves at very low, perhaps even as "loss leaders", prices to attract customers.
Now, it may still be make or break time in retail but the season seems to start prior to Halloween. But, Thanksgiving day and "Black Friday" are still important, very important, to small retailers, franchises and "mom and pops." The whole year for those folks culminates in the frenzied shopping of the Christmas, oops ... Holiday Season

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This year I heard, for the first time, of "Small Business Saturday" -- a Small Business Association promotion that gets squeezed in between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Maybe some tavern association can come up with Saturation Sunday.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
However the one area that I will makes purchases on Black Friday is with small businesses that rely on discounts/sales to drum up business. So if a B&M pipe/tobacco shop is running a sale for like 10-15% off I will support them.
Yeah, nothing wrong with that...and I agree about giving my business to the smaller, local places...as much as possible at least. But I'll do that on other days and happily pay more even if necessary, rather than participate in the herd programming.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
The way I see it living in a medium sized town of 7,000 a small mom & pop shop are more eager to rip you off than a big outlet store in a city 60 miles away. Make your own choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.