PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for the blend suggestions. I'll be seeking those out for my next order. Yea I never attempted to compare them to actual handmade cigars. They are in a category with maybe two or three other cheap cigars made with pipe tobacco. Not willing to trade a Padron for a Black and Mild, but IMO they are decent quality and under appreciated. I like my pipe better.. My wife always complemented the smell of the black and milds, not so much the pipes. So I search for this balance between wife and smoke. To me the backwoods cigars really do taste like cheap stuff.. They taste more like a swisher sweet or something. I am looking forward to trying the pipe tobacco.

Here's the thing. If you enjoy Black & Milds, then you should smoke Black & Milds. I don't recall ever asking anybody's approval or endorsement for what I smoke. I very often read what other people smoke and have often acted upon their tasting notes and recommendations to try different blends. That's different. But when I am looking at tobacco deciding to purchase, I always make it my decision. I do the same when reaching for a pipe and some tobacco.

Having said that, you asked for an opinion and I gave my totally unfiltered opinion. I wasn't trying to be derisive about what you were smoking. I'd gladly sit with you and have a beer while you smoke your B&M and I smoke whatever I want. And I wouldn't say a word about your choice unless you asked my opinion of it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't smoke Black and Milds because for about five bucks, I'd rather smoke one Arturo Fuente than five Black and Milds. Also, I think the whole "aromatic" thing just doesn't work as well with cigar leaf. I like some aromatic pipe tobacco blends, but have never enjoyed an aromatic cigar.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
To really get down to the issue that is at the crux of your question, I think it's fair to say that most of the regular members posting on this forum are basically tobacco connoisseurs, so asking why we don't smoke Black and Milds is like going on a craft beer forum and asking why they don't drink much Budweiser.

Nothing wrong with Budweiser or Black and Milds, and on the right occasion I'd be happy to have either one, but neither are the type of thing that I'd usually buy myself or spend time discussing and contemplating on a forum. That being said, I smoke plenty of Carter Hall in corncob pipes, which some here would consider every bit as pedestrian, if not more so, as Budweiser and Black and Milds, so the bottom line is smoke what you enjoy puffy

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I had a few pinches of that super value black and gold from a friend a while back, it was nothing exciting but if it matches the leaf used in the cigar you like then it is a cheap pouch for trialing a flavour comparison...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To really get down to the issue that is at the crux of your question, I think it's fair to say that most of the regular members posting on this forum are basically tobacco connoisseurs, so asking why we don't smoke Black and Milds is like going on a craft beer forum and asking why they don't drink much Budweiser.

This. Well stated, nice analogy.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
All fair answers to that question.. How can the most smoked cigar, which is labeled pipe tabacco, be overlooked by pipe tobacco fans? even as most or some pipe smokers also enjoy cigars. I have not and will never ask anyone's approval of my choices in tobacco products, other than my wife maybe, and she has... the keys to the thing i enjoy more than tobacco.. or maybe equally. The beer analogy is a good one, in that analogy lies the answer. Just light and friendly conversation here. As far as my pedestrian quest for the blend that taste like a Black and Mild goes.. I'm on to the highly rare and exclusive Super Value Gold and Mild.

Reactions: Idahojoe and python
Status
Not open for further replies.