PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have been wondering why pipe smokers seem to be opposed to Black and Mild cigars. I have bought them over the years as a change of pace from cigarettes.. I was smoking one slowly about a year ago and a light bulb went off, like wow this is really good. I liked that note I had found so much it made me realize maybe I don't have to smoke cigarettes at all ever.. Hey I might live after all haha. The truth is they are just as expensive as the best pipe tobacco, 6 bucks for a 5 pack that might last all day. That's what brought me around to this hobby. I've been on the search for a pipe tobacco that is close to them in flavor, during that search I see that they don't get much love from the pipe community. To me it is worth a thread to discuss why the number one selling cigar in the U.S. gets no love from pipe smokers. Black and Mild also happens to describe its cigars as a pipe tobacco cigar, and belong to the makers of PA and CH.. which both have some loyalty in this community. A lot of you guys enjoy both pipes and cigars. Just interested in how you guys feel about this oddity? and I would also appreciate any suggestions on my search for that flavor.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Black & Milds are dirt cheap pipe tobacco wrapped in a brown paper wrapper and a plastic tip put on it. If I'm going to smoke pipe tobacco, I'll put it in a pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have been wondering why pipe smokers seem to be opposed to Black and Mild cigars. I have bought them over the years as a change of pace from cigarettes.. I was smoking one slowly about a year ago and a light bulb went off, like wow this is really good. I liked that note I had found so much it made me realize maybe I don't have to smoke cigarettes at all ever.. Hey I might live after all haha. The truth is they are just as expensive as the best pipe tobacco, 6 bucks for a 5 pack that might last all day. That's what brought me around to this hobby. I've been on the search for a pipe tobacco that is close to them in flavor, during that search I see that they don't get much love from the pipe community. To me it is worth a thread to discuss why the number one selling cigar in the U.S. gets no love from pipe smokers. Black and Mild also happens to describe its cigars as a pipe tobacco cigar, and belong to the makers of PA and CH.. which both have some loyalty in this community. A lot of you guys enjoy both pipes and cigars. Just interested in how you guys feel about this oddity? and I would also appreciate any suggestions on my search for that flavor.

Why? I suppose to most of us who have smoked quite a few cigars, compared to good cigars, they suck. I'm not sure of any other way to say it. Smoke some Fuente, Padron, Tats, My Fathers and some good Cubans and then tell me how many of those you'd trade for a Black & Mild.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I smoked Black and Milds when I was 15 or 16 and I didn't know any better. I also drank malt liquor and did any drug that I could get my hands on, which was a lot. Sometimes poor choices get us where we need to be.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Also,if you want a similar flavor profile but tastes better in my opinion, get this and smoke it in a pipe:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ll take a single black and a pint of E&J... also a rose stem if you’ve got it.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Thanks for the blend suggestions. I'll be seeking those out for my next order. Yea I never attempted to compare them to actual handmade cigars. They are in a category with maybe two or three other cheap cigars made with pipe tobacco. Not willing to trade a Padron for a Black and Mild, but IMO they are decent quality and under appreciated. I like my pipe better.. My wife always complemented the smell of the black and milds, not so much the pipes. So I search for this balance between wife and smoke. To me the backwoods cigars really do taste like cheap stuff.. They taste more like a swisher sweet or something. I am looking forward to trying the pipe tobacco.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.