PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I don't think the Nvidia ride is over. They will likely split the stock later this year, and AI, while in it's infancy and being touted with to an almost bullshit level, feels to me like the next evolutionary step in digitally based tech, similar to the early 1990's. It's going to be a mess for a few years and then less of a mess.
You’re right, it clearly isn’t over, and the stock split came earlier. Makes me wonder if nVidia themselves are shocked by their success and want to put some breaks on. Stock split and higher dividend send mixed messages, maybe? On the one hand the stock split will pull in retail money (more), on the other the dividends signal more maturity and less (crazy) growth.

I’ve long accepted that news get analysed and priced in by algorithms and smart people in microseconds, so as a retail bum I decided to “sleep on it”, meaning not doing anything right before or right after anything big. One can see bets being placed by the degenerates every time there’s an announcement coming up.

Stanley Druckenmiller unloaded a lot of nVidia 2 weeks ago, showing me that if the pros get scared of the success and want to lock some of the crazy gains in, retail bums like me better stay still ;)

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
You’re right, it clearly isn’t over, and the stock split came earlier. Makes me wonder if nVidia themselves are shocked by their success and want to put some breaks on. Stock split and higher dividend send mixed messages, maybe? On the one hand the stock split will pull in retail money (more), on the other the dividends signal more maturity and less (crazy) growth.

I’ve long accepted that news get analysed and priced in by algorithms and smart people in microseconds, so as a retail bum I decided to “sleep on it”, meaning not doing anything right before or right after anything big. One can see bets being placed by the degenerates every time there’s an announcement coming up.

Stanley Druckenmiller unloaded a lot of nVidia 2 weeks ago, showing me that if the pros get scared of the success and want to lock some of the crazy gains in, retail bums like me better stay still ;)
Are you a stockbroker/chartist or economist Karam?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not at all, thought it'd be clear by saying "retail bum", I don't trade or buy single stocks, just index funds.
I do both, but mostly index funds. Splitting the stock encourages retail investors to buy. It shouldn’t work in a logical world, but investing isn’t purely logical by any stretch. That’s why there are measurements like the fear index.
I was at lunch with a friend, the other day, who bought Nvidia at $120, a lot of it, before the AI connection. The reason? His son plays video games and told him that Nvidia’s boards were the best.
So he figured, well, why not? He’s stunned, and pretty happy, with where his investment has gone.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yep, they’ve been the best gaming cards for 20 years.

What’s almost annoying in investing is that sometimes overthinking it just doesn’t work for the overthinker. The stock split could bump the overall value of whoever held it before the split by some %, totally free, totally irrelevant to valuation, just because new blood gets in. Then it becomes self-fulfilling “stock go up after split”.

Dunno if it’s just luck, or I’m just chicken about it. My colleague who bought nvidia at $22 also “starts buying stocks when they start going up, sells them when they start going down”. He has a few dozens of stocks that he’s following based on literally TikTok advice, yet his gains are crazy this year. 300 IQ or luck?

Logic says that a rising tide lifts all boats, and history says that this is luck and will eventually run out, but still :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My colleague who bought nvidia at $22 also “starts buying stocks when they start going up, sells them when they start going down”. He has a few dozens of stocks that he’s following based on literally TikTok advice, yet his gains are crazy this year. 300 IQ or luck?
If that’s the whole of his strategy, it’s luck, and will eventually turn.
The thing about the meme stock movement was that it showed how sheer popular force could shred market “rules”. This scared the crap out of the traditional scammers, and it totally fucked over some major players, which is a good thing and needs to happen a lot more.
But then the fuel runs out, leaving those hoping for just a little more with nothing, or less than nothing.

The Wall Street adage, “Pigs get slaughtered” is a truism. Just not nearly enough pigs get slaughtered.

We’ll see how many bitcoin pigs get slaughtered.

Marie

Lurker
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Nominal so far..I am inclined to believe bitcoin was a DARPA initiative for unsavory reasons, yet has now become an intriguing option over other coins in the digital currency realm. The adoption curve and increasing HODL are undeniable. We are overdue for the next currency reset, especially with the fiat being a debt instrument. Saudi Arabia just turned down their agreement to continue using the dollar. BRICS is growing fast. For me, it is all looking like the roll out will become a scenario where having a little bit of everything is worth considering with different types of currency.