PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I have considered it, but I'm very impatient and also am not fond of the idea of fronting money for something that I may not be overly fond of upon completion

A very good point. I’m going to be the contrarian here and say don’t go the commission route. I’ve commissioned many pipes and while I was generally happy occasionally I was not. Since this is a unique spend for you I think you should buy a pipe that already exists so you can be surer of getting exactly what you want.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a beautiful foursquare. I have four or five panels, but none in the premium category. A nice Kaywoodie foursquare, the most classic design of my group. I also have a nice mountain laurel version.

Reactions: jttnk and JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Big 30. That's a significant milestone. The end of youth, but not yet middle aged, no more 18 year olds, but not quite MILF prime time. You can't be trusted. What way to go to mark this occasion.

At 30 you should be able to exercise your own judgement on something like this without input from a load of virtual acquaintances telling you what to do, though the suggestions above are pretty good. Don't want to commission? Fine. Don't see anything on line that stirs your loins? Fine. Instagram not doing it for you? Fine.
My pointless contribution? Wait until you find something that feels like a 30th birthday gift and buy it when it happens.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I would like to add, as someone who recently bought a very handsome brand new $200+ Savinelli Punto Oro Gold sandblasted billiard...
It doesn't smoke any better than the regular old Savinelli Petite Rusticated 105 I picked up for $65 used.

If you're worried about it, buy from a carver with high resale value--but do yourself a favor and please consider a commissioned pipe. I've done that 3 times, and I've never once regretted any of them. You might even find an estate version that trips your trigger, save a few bucks.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
If I had $500 to spend on a pipe… oh wait, I just did exactly that. For my 40th bday. I bought one from Jose Rubio, and after spending plenty of time with it I can honestly say it was worth it. 426 EUR, with express shipping from Spain. Here are some pics of other pipes he recently had available for sale.
My god, man! Please remove these pictures immediately! You should be ashamed at luring the rest of us from even considering these works of art!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I would throw Rinaldo into the mix. They are right there with Castello, and if I were limited to one pipe, my Rinaldo bent bulldog would be it. Just be aware, their Titania line is truly titanic, so unless you like giant pipes, get one of the normal size.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jewman22